Robert Earl Keen - NTSU Jazz Band member?

That's what he said in concert last night. I knew about his A&M roots (roommate with Lyle Lovett, who once gave every man in America hope), but had no idea he attended UNT (or NTSU as it was back then). Interesting that he referenced being a member in the NTSU Jazz band.

That is all.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

He's awesome...so, so awesome. I haven't seen him in concert for years, but I hope he's gotten to the point in his career where he can play live the songs he's truly proud of and not just his straw, beer cap covered cowboy hat crowd appeasing anthems.

Paint the Town Beige, Mariano, Billy Gray, Shades of Gray, Goin' Nowhere Blues, I'm Comin' Home...these are the kind of songs for which I hoped he's remembered .

• Upvote 1

He's awesome...so, so awesome. I haven't seen him in concert for years, but I hope he's gotten to the point in his career where he can play live the songs he's truly proud of and not just his straw, beer cap covered cowboy hat crowd appeasing anthems.

Paint the Town Beige, Mariano, Billy Gray, Shades of Gray, Goin' Nowhere Blues, I'm Comin' Home...these are the kind of songs for which I hoped he's remembered .

Maybe he is proud of those "straw, beer cap covered cowboy hat crowd appeasing anthems. "

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Pretty sure "I'm coming home" is one of his cowboy hat crowd pleasers. He did 4 of the 6 you mention above. Really good show. And of course he did all the big ones. That's what most peolple come for.

Gringo Honeymoon is my favorite Robbie Keen song.

Wonder if any of the older music guys on the board could lend any creedence to his claims of being in a jazz band at UNT?

According to his own site, he didn't attend UNT. However, one of his band members, Tom Van Schaik, did attend and majored in Jazz Studies.

http://www.robertearlkeen.com/index.php?page=band

I was the dd this night, and only had 3 beers (I swear, officer!!), so I'm pretty sure I didn't misunderstand him. There was a significant localized crowd reaction when he said it, so maybe it was a truth-altered shout out to his band-mate's buddies.

Merry Christmas From The Family. If that makes me part of the Cowboy hat redneck crowd, so.be it

Edited by UNT90