UNT Men's Golf Switches Into C-USA For 2013-14

Harry

North Texas' men's golf program plays its first season in Conference USA in 2013-14, and looks to continue its tradition of winning conference titles in its new home. Conference USA's men's golf championship has been held in Texarkana, Texas during recent years, which could be a huge advantage for the Mean Green. FIU and Tulane do not sponsor men's golf-Tulane's men's golf program was dropped after Hurricane Katrina in 2005.

"I'm excited because our conference championship is located nearby in Texarkana, so we don't have to fly anymore," said North Texas Men's Golf Coach Brad Stracke. "The other thing is the competition in C-USA is going to be great. I believe our fan base is going to grow because of that."

Conference USA programs are viewed very favorably by the latest Golf Stat rankings-obviously North Texas ranks 26th, but they are joined in the top 100 by East Carolina (No. 34), UAB (No. 37), Tulsa (No. 53), Louisiana Tech (No. 68) and Charlotte (No. 72). While there is no league play in golf, a strong conference championship can help a school move up in the rankings at a critical juncture of the year.

"It probably depends on the year," said Stracke "You have to be above .500 to make the NCAA Tournament, unless you win your conference championship. If we're teetering on .500, then of course I want a weaker conference. If we're way above .500, then winning the conference championship can push us higher in the rankings, and I'd want a tougher conference."

Read more: http://www.meangreensports.com//ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=1800&ATCLID=205424457&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter