BB Attendance

DeepGreen

It looks as if that figure can at least be maintained. Basketball has been exciting this year but not having Mitchell the fall semester and not having Jones and Williams the spring semester will hurt overall attendance averages. We also sink a little bit during the Christmas holidays when we seem to have three or four home games when students are out of school.

Next year, if we have all three plus Franklin, Alzee, etc. and careful scheduling we should have 6-8,000 for most games.

Basketball home attendance through MUTS(14) game-

Average- 3774

Not bad, certainly some room for improvement.

I don't know if it would ever be doable, but I'd love to average 5,000 per game. 5K is the average attendance for college basketball (and 5,500 is what 100th school averages). It'd put us close to the teams in the MVC, CUSA, A-10, etc. It'd also put us above what TCU did last year (TCU number will go way up now that they are in Big 12). We've done a great job last two years of getting Tech and LSU to come to town. Those games are key to helping attendance numbers.

You're not gonna make attendance figures stay up with one marquee game. You make them go up by attending conference games. That's why our average is good this year, not the LSU game.

I agree but these marque games get us to conference season with decent numbers. The LSU game brought us at least an extra 4K people (plus thats 4K at a higher ticket price). That adds about 350 people to average. Thanks to LSU game non-conference is only 300 below conference attendance (3.6K to 3.9K). Our numbers have been really solid except when students aren't in school.

By game:

St. Gregory's (Fri) 3,175

Sam Houston (Sat) 3,313

Jackson St (Sun) 3,146

Grambling (Tue) 2,732

LSU (Thur) 6,838

New Orleans (Tue) 2,617

UALR (Thur) 2,825

Troy (Sat) 2,747

WKU (Thur) 3,941

Denver (Sat) 4,859

ASU (Sat) 3,643

MTSU (Thur) 5,510

I don't know if it would ever be doable, but I'd love to average 5,000 per game. 5K is the average attendance for college basketball (and 5,500 is what 100th school averages). It'd put us close to the teams in the MVC, CUSA, A-10, etc. It'd also put us above what TCU did last year (TCU number will go way up now that they are in Big 12). We've done a great job last two years of getting Tech and LSU to come to town. Those games are key to helping attendance numbers.

My neighbor @ work is a TCU alum and says they have SMU football type numbers for bball. Maybe things have changed since he graduated 2 years ago however..

I just moved back in December, but I've taken the boy to 4 games already, LSU being the first one. Huge difference in student attendance, their pie is nearly always full in the corner.

I'll be adding season tickets next year for the men, with or without TM....

Edited by FloMoGrad

My neighbor @ work is a TCU alum and says they have SMU football type numbers for bball. Maybe things have changed since he graduated 2 years ago however..

Officially they average 4.5K last year. I haven't checked this year. SMU was less than 2K last year.

Once in the Big 12, they should get a 1K to 2K boost just from fans of other schools (for conference games). I went to KU v. TCU a few years ago and half the non-student crowd was KU fans.

Here is link for 2011 official attendance:

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/bdf2030046a3609298bddcc110a6426c/2011_NCAA_mens_basketball_attendance.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CACHEID=bdf2030046a3609298bddcc110a6426c

Area schools-

North Texas 3,552

SMU 1,970

TCU 4,285

UTA 811

Other Texas Schools

UT 13,669

A&M 9,000

Tech 8,513

Baylor 6,994

Rice 1,838

Texas St. 2,084