What Should be the Game Plan?

Side Show Joe

With the football season over, what can UNT do to improve our visability during the off season? Watching high school playoff games televized at Apogee was nice. Maybe we should have nice North Texas banners hanging along the sidelines and end zones next year. What can we do to attracted more attention from the DWF media, and improve the perception of our program during the off season?

We need to become the "Big" Mean Green in the eyes of our fans and community.

Support Mens and Womens Basketball,Try to make an away game and as many home games as possible.

Getting into post-season in both will really help our chances where they cant ignore us being in the playoffs.

Being on a bracket around the nation is the best publicity you can get.

Go out to a softball game in the spring (Keep nagging Rick about baseball every chance you get)

Im sure with our staff this off-season, they will be selling the crap out of our program at the coaching convention.

Edited by LakeTravis
  • Upvote 1

With the football season over, what can UNT do to improve our visability during the off season? Watching high school playoff games televized at Apogee was nice. Maybe we should have nice North Texas banners hanging along the sidelines and end zones next year. What can we do to attracted more attention from the DWF media, and improve the perception of our program during the off season?

We need to become the "Big" Mean Green in the eyes of our fans and community.

Totally agree. Winning the Sunbelt in basketball (men and Women) would be a great start. Then winning women's softball. After that we really don't have any athletic things to get noticed by the public.

Just quickly off the top of my head...participating in spring "events" would be a great way to keep getting noticed.

For instance, we should have a float in the St. Patricks parade in Dallas. What could be more natural? Just like the Irish, we love green and we love beer.

Thinking outside the box.... maybe the duck pond over by the stadium could be stocked with trout like they do at the Trinity river near Fort worth, and have a family fishing event. Here's the press release for this year.

"Trout stocking dates announced

Posted 11/28/2011

TRWD and the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department will team up again this year to host four trout stocking events on the Trinity River in Fort Worth. Below you will find the dates and times:

12/13 Tarrant Regional Water District, Trinity Park 1:00 p.m.

1/4 Texas Parks and Wildlife, Trinity Park 9:00 a.m.

1/5 Texas Parks and Wildlife, River Park 9:00 a.m.

1/19 Tarrant Regional Water District, River Park 9:00 a.m.

There will be approximately 2,200 trout released each event."

Or maybe a family-like fishing tournament/fishing day up at Lake Ray Roberts. Either of the events would/should be kid friendly. What kid doesn't like to go fishing? And I bet that a lot of the North Texas athletes would be more than happy to help out with the event.

• Upvote 1

If and when North Texas is accepted into a higher profile conference, have door hangers made announcing the fact, ask for community support (and their support in particular) and get volunteer students and/or alumni to distribute them to every house in Denton.

Now that's breaking through the clutter. Maybe throw in some free crazy bread and a 2 liter of coke and then we'll really get something cooking.

• Upvote 2

Totally agree. Winning the Sunbelt in basketball (men and Women) would be a great start. Then winning women's softball. After that we really don't have any athletic things to get noticed by the public.

Just quickly off the top of my head...participating in spring "events" would be a great way to keep getting noticed.

For instance, we should have a float in the St. Patricks parade in Dallas. What could be more natural? Just like the Irish, we love green and we love beer.

Thinking outside the box.... maybe the duck pond over by the stadium could be stocked with trout like they do at the Trinity river near Fort worth, and have a family fishing event. Here's the press release for this year.

"Trout stocking dates announced

Posted 11/28/2011

TRWD and the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department will team up again this year to host four trout stocking events on the Trinity River in Fort Worth. Below you will find the dates and times:

12/13 Tarrant Regional Water District, Trinity Park 1:00 p.m.

1/4 Texas Parks and Wildlife, Trinity Park 9:00 a.m.

1/5 Texas Parks and Wildlife, River Park 9:00 a.m.

1/19 Tarrant Regional Water District, River Park 9:00 a.m.

There will be approximately 2,200 trout released each event."

Or maybe a family-like fishing tournament/fishing day up at Lake Ray Roberts. Either of the events would/should be kid friendly. What kid doesn't like to go fishing? And I bet that a lot of the North Texas athletes would be more than happy to help out with the event.

I love trout fishing and eating what I catch... EXCEPT WHEN IT COMES FROM THE TRINITY!!!!

Can you imagine the culture shock these poor trout endure upon release into the Trinity?? From the cold, clear water of the mountain lake (or, most likely, the stock tank where they were raised) to the mirky filth of the Trinity river bottoms. Is this some kind of punishment for messing up their tank while being raised?? Do the well behaved trout get released into the clear waters of the Guadalupe??

I don't know where the animal rights people are on this, but I can't think of any worse animal torture than what these poor fish will instantly endure when they hit the polluted waters of the Trinity.

• Upvote 1

I love trout fishing and eating what I catch... EXCEPT WHEN IT COMES FROM THE TRINITY!!!!

Can you imagine the culture shock these poor trout endure upon release into the Trinity?? From the cold, clear water of the mountain lake (or, most likely, the stock tank where they were raised) to the mirky filth of the Trinity river bottoms. Is this some kind of punishment for messing up their tank while being raised?? Do the well behaved trout get released into the clear waters of the Guadalupe??

I don't know where the animal rights people are on this, but I can't think of any worse animal torture than what these poor fish will instantly endure when they hit the polluted waters of the Trinity.

I agree with this rant. My point is however, that if this event (putting poor innocent trout in the Trinity) can happen, maybe something similar could take place close to North Texas and a family day of fishing could take place.....with lots of positive photos for the local press.