Mountain West, Conference USA merger could benefit UTSA

gangrene

Indeed, a source who wished to be remain anonymous told me Saturday morning that the Roadrunners already have been on C-USA's short list for some time. And considering UTSA has publicly stated that its dream location was always the C-USA, it would appear that the only thing lacking is an invitation from this new mega-league. Which, of course, the Roadrunners would jump on.

And looking at those leagues, the numbers of schools that would add obvious value are slim indeed. In fact, when you look at the pertinent factors – mainly market size, location and the like — the clear-cut candidates would appear to be UTSA, which has opened plenty of eyes with its success at the box office, and North Texas, which just built a glitzy new stadium and is located in the critical Metroplex market, which would be unoccupied should SMU bolt for the Big East.

Not ideal, but this is one scenario in which I wouldn't be opposed to being in the same conference with UTSA....as long as too many CUSA/MWC teams aren't lost to other conferences.

Good post. I've been trying to make this point, ie that SMU leaving is a HUGE impact on our value to both CUSA and Mountain West...but nothing but cautious pessimism from the GMG faithful. I think there is certainly value added by UTSA with San Antonio as well and would welcome them with open arms because they would create an instant rival for us that would travel fans to Apogee. My colleagues on here have gotten so tired of my constant ranting on this subject that they've wheeled me away to Terrell so I better go back to my room before the orderlies get me!

I've been on the fence about UTSA but I think they would be a good addition to the belt or cusa (along with us). They have a great TV market to themselves, and yeah they suck now but in a couple of years they could be really good. Look at FIU. If smu and houston leave I would love to have some away games in a reasonable driving distant. What better place than the river walk. Plus we MIGHT actually have a rival or maybe multiple rivals (Rice, Tulsa, UTEP). But Lets get to CUSA first.

Hell, why didn't the Big East take UTSA, then?

I'm sorry, but I have to see what several losing seasons in a row does to the Road Runners when they have to sell tickets between losing seasons and that "new car smell" is all gone.

Just sayin'...

GMG!

Because they are new and a novelty they are in a perfect spot to cash in. They are in a desirable tourist destination, play in a big domed stadium(which I happen to think is pretty nice), in an area that is not only big but that whole SA area is growing every day and the school has a lot of student and is continuing to grow.

They're trying to milk it as much as they can and the more I think about it the more I think UTSA will move up quickly to be in a pretty nice conference for them. I think TX State may be left out and be relegated to staying in the WAC or going to the SBC.

Hey look anything can happen in this crazy realignment world. However, SMU and TCU both moving up in the world is as good a scenario as we could have hoped for. CUSA is based in Dallas, needs to replace 3 teams, wants a presence in this media market, wants to have DFW for recruiting and is very aware of UNT because we were came in 2nd the last time they expanded.

Please understand, SMU wielded a lot of power in CUSA. They had a private school voting block that consisted of Rice, Tulane and Tulsa. As long as SMU stayed in CUSA it made our prospects of getting in slim.

Is it possible that CUSA pass over DFW and UNT? I guess but it would sure seem strange for them to concede DFW when they have a viable option here. UTSA also becomes very interesting as well offering CUSA the San Antonio market and giving them representation throughout the state of Texas (Rice/Utep).

I also think La. Tech would be a good addition and feel for them a little bit because I know that Tulane will be a thorn in their side similar to what SMU was for us.

One thing that you have to keep in mind through all of this craziness is ESPN and television is driving all of this. It started with the Longhorn network (which was a creation of ESPN) and will continue on. I seriously doubt that CUSA will be willing to relinquish the DFW media market as it will be important for them to have it in their television contract negotiations. I also think they will move quickly to replace Central Florida with FAU/FIU.

Because they are new and a novelty they are in a perfect spot to cash in. They are in a desirable tourist destination, play in a big domed stadium(which I happen to think is pretty nice), in an area that is not only big but that whole SA area is growing every day and the school has a lot of student and is continuing to grow.

They're trying to milk it as much as they can and the more I think about it the more I think UTSA will move up quickly to be in a pretty nice conference for them. I think TX State may be left out and be relegated to staying in the WAC or going to the SBC.

Admittedly (and maybe even a character flaw of sorts), but I am just not happy that North Texas has had to stick with the 50 year plan of one poor hiring after another while UTSA catches lightning in a bottle without having to (how many would describe it) really pay their dues.

After 38 years I've witnessed of our roller coaster ride some of you others with a similar time span could actually feel the same way. I also think Texas is just getting saturated with too damn many FBS football programs and "too much of Texas anything" such as that in the college football arena has never been a positive and here are 2 prime examples:

(1) Frank Broyles and Arkansas used "too many Texas schools in the SWC" as a big reason to vault for the SEC and

(2) TCU chose to go rogue and remove themselves from a "too many Texas schools" member conference when they left CUSA. All too many Texas schools do in one league together is beat up on each other and (most years) you can forget Top 25 rankings because of it and hence, I believe a reason TCU left most of their Texas/CUSA rivals behind. Seems to have worked out for Texas Christian U since they are now in the Big 12.

People, IMO...........there are viable reasons as to why the Hogs and Frogs did what they did and (in some cases) if North Texas can just get out of this(seemedly) tunnel-visioned modus operendi of wanting to help every other FBS school in Texas get in a league with us for whatever reason because rest assured we will be recruiting against them (and as of now we are already). If we're all together in one league we are no better off doing that than being in the Sun Belt ranked somewhere toward the Bottom 50 schools on an annual basis. (Just put UTSA in a future home and home OOC game schedule).

Just one opinion of a long time Texas college football fan who bought the first copy of Dave Campbell's Texas Football Magazine............. post-Ice Age. :)

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

if missouri leaves the big 12 we could be in trouble. the big 12 and acc might pick apart the big east, and we could be left in the death grip of the SB

I still don't think the Big East will lose its AQ status even if the Big 12 raids them. They have way too much reputation and that east coast bias/media will have a lot of influence and I'd be beyond belief shocked if they lost their AQ status even after the contract ends in a few years. I believe they'll just reload and UH and SMU will stick to that conference and it will still open spots for CUSA/MWC.

I have a question to people on this board. the MWC/CUSA merger is for football only. There has been quite a bit of speculation that they may add teams to either CUSA and MWC for other sports and teams to the alliance for football only. Would UNT be interested in joining the MWC/CUSA merger if it was for football only and they had to park their other sports somewhere like the MVC?

Edited by playoffpush

I have a feeling we'll be getting an invitation from CUSA for all sports. SMU and Houston will be invited to the Big East for all sports, it was Boise st and Airforce/Navy I believe were only going to be invited for football. North! Texas! North! Texas! knocking on the door! Let's make sure they hear us! North!!! Texas!!!

Edited by bleedgreen4ever

I have a question to people on this board. the MWC/CUSA merger is for football only. There has been quite a bit of speculation that they may add teams to either CUSA and MWC for other sports and teams to the alliance for football only. Would UNT be interested in joining the MWC/CUSA merger if it was for football only and they had to park their other sports somewhere like the MVC?

It's an interesting question. BYU and Hawaii are examples of schools that have done this with BYU parking everything but football in the WAC and Hawaii going MWC in football, but Big West in all other sports. It really doesn't make sense to me, but I do feel that it illustrates the hyper emphasis placed on football these days in comparison to all other sports combined as well as clamoring for each and every television dollar the schools, conferences, and NCAA can squeeze out of the American viewer.

I can't see why either the MWC or CUSA would refuse the other sports of a potential new member if said new member wanted full-blown affiliation. It just doesn't make sense. Both want to remain relevant in basketball and baseball, which then leads down the slippery slope of refusing women's sports.

On the other side of that coin, why schools such as BYU and Hawaii actively choose to have their other sports in different conferences, I just don't know (although we're really excited to have Hawaii in the Big West).