CBS Sports Predicting 2012 Field

DeepGreen

Just went and checked out their schedule...you guys think we have a tough road stretch? Dig this:

On the road for 6 straight games from November 22 - December 22...at Hofstra, South Florida, Kansas, Mississippi State, Miami and Harvard. Not only are the teams tough, that's a bitch of a travel itin...from Long Island back to Florida, to Kansas, to Mississippi, back to Florida and then to Boston.

Add to that, starting the season in the Pacific Northwest.

AND, they've just 2 home games prior to conference...George Mason and Southern Illinois-Edwardsville.

Just went and checked out their schedule...you guys think we have a tough road stretch? Dig this:

On the road for 6 straight games from November 22 - December 22...at Hofstra, South Florida, Kansas, Mississippi State, Miami and Harvard. Not only are the teams tough, that's a bitch of a travel itin...from Long Island back to Florida, to Kansas, to Mississippi, back to Florida and then to Boston.

Add to that, starting the season in the Pacific Northwest.

AND, they've just 2 home games prior to conference...George Mason and Southern Illinois-Edwardsville.

Wow, that makes our schedule look much better. But, this only means that they will be battle-tested when conference rolls around. They'll be a better team for that schedule.

Dumb prediction regarding the sunbelt.

No, it's not...it's actually the logical pick, especially from a guy more focused on the national level. FAU returns 4 starters, including the best backcourt in the conference, from a team that won 21 games (including at Mississippi State), and went 13-3 in conference. Their not making the tourney can be seen as a fluke by someone not focused on this conference specifically.

We're optimistic...and rightfully so...but FAU has plenty of reasons for optimism as well...so does ULL, Denver, Arkansas State, FIU (kinda) and while their fans won't say so, WKU as well.

No, it's not...it's actually the logical pick, especially from a guy more focused on the national level. FAU returns 4 starters, including the best backcourt in the conference, from a team that won 21 games (including at Mississippi State), and went 13-3 in conference. Their not making the tourney can be seen as a fluke by someone not focused on this conference specifically.

We're optimistic...and rightfully so...but FAU has plenty of reasons for optimism as well...so does ULL, Denver, Arkansas State, FIU (kinda) and while their fans won't say so, WKU as well.

I stick to my statement. You forgot to mention how badly we beat them in the SB tournament. We are the ones with a top 20 recruiting class. If this team is able to rapidly play in chemistry and injury-free, they'll win the SB tournament, trust me.

Edited by bleedgreen4ever

I stick to my statement.

Of course you do. I wouldn't expect a UNT fan not to...but I do fear that many are expecting a cake walk and don't realize that we actually have to play other teams...other teams with players, good players.

Right now, FAU vs. UNT (based on who I think starts and where)

PG. Alex Tucker > Alzee Williams

SG. Ray Taylor > Chris Jones

SF. Greg Gantt > Roger Franklin or Justin Patton

PF. Jelani McCoy < Tony Mitchell

C. Kore White's offense > Kedrick Hogans' offense...White's defense < Hogans' defense

I'm as excited as any one for this season to begin...but we have a ton of "ifs" and very few "knowns". A team like FAU is the exact opposite.

• Upvote 1

You forgot to mention how badly we beat them in the SB tournament.

Who did? Tristan went for 36, DoJo went for 12, George pulled 11 boards...they're all gone. In fact, from that game we return 2 players who combined for 9 points and 12 boards in 43 minutes. I don't see how you can laud all the newcomer talent and then use anything from last year as defense for your stance. Bit of a falling down in logic.

• Upvote 2

I stick to my statement. You forgot to mention how badly we beat them in the SB tournament. We are the ones with a top 20 recruiting class. If this team is able to rapidly play in chemistry and injury-free, they'll win the SB tournament, trust me.

You forgot to mention that Tristan Thompson (now gone) had 36 points including setting a record going 20-20 from the line in that tourney game.

"Because we have highly regarded recruits coming in, we're going to win the SBC."

This is flawed logic, but there are numerous folks on the board who believe this.

I just hope these same folks dont turn on Chis Jones or Trey Norris when they turn the ball over a ton playing against D-1 competition this year, or Jordan Williams has a hard time finding a scoring stroke against D-1 defense.

Good greif folks, it's like you believe we're playing against ourselves! There are good teams in the SBC. There are going to be growing pains. Get ready.

Now, in no way, shape, or form am I saying we will not win the SBC. I think if Hogans stays healthy, the waivers ever come down for Franklin & Patton, Mitchell's impending eligibility comes true, and if Williams & Jones really excel in their development, we will have a great shot at the SBC crown! If we do win, I hope we get a shot at Vanderbilt wherever they are in the bracket. :D

You forgot to mention that Tristan Thompson (now gone) had 36 points including setting a record going 20-20 from the line in that tourney game.

"Because we have highly regarded recruits coming in, we're going to win the SBC."

This is flawed logic, but there are numerous folks on the board who believe this.

I just hope these same folks dont turn on Chis Jones or Trey Norris when they turn the ball over a ton playing against D-1 competition this year, or Jordan Williams has a hard time finding a scoring stroke against D-1 defense.

Good greif folks, it's like you believe we're playing against ourselves! There are good teams in the SBC. There are going to be growing pains. Get ready.

Now, in no way, shape, or form am I saying we will not win the SBC. I think if Hogans stays healthy, the waivers ever come down for Franklin & Patton, Mitchell's impending eligibility comes true, and if Williams & Jones really excel in their development, we will have a great shot at the SBC crown! If we do win, I hope we get a shot at Vanderbilt wherever they are in the bracket. :D

Stop acting as if you know what flawed logic is or not. First of all, logic and sports aren't analogous. Second, it is a matter of opinion and some knowledge. So what if the players are different? They are more talented and MOST IMPORTANTLY, coached by the SAME coaching staff. It is a matter of whether this team will be able to grow synergy quickly this season.

Stop acting as if you know what flawed logic is or not. First of all, logic and sports aren't analogous. Second, it is a matter of opinion and some knowledge. So what if the players are different? They are more talented and MOST IMPORTANTLY, coached by the SAME coaching staff. It is a matter of whether this team will be able to grow synergy quickly this season.

Flawed logic, all.

• Upvote 2

I stopped reading there.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Last year, we were projected to win the league by most pundits. It was logical to happen given our season and who was returning. Didn't happen, but it was a very reasonable pick. This year FAU is much like we were last year. Why are we even perturbed that the Owls are being picked to win? THEY SHOULD BE.

Nothing is written though, they have to win it just the same as anyone else.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 1

Last year, we were projected to win the league by most pundits. It was logical to happen given our season and who was returning. Didn't happen, but it was a very reasonable pick. This year FAU is much like we were last year. Why are we even perturbed that the Owls are being picked to win? THEY SHOULD BE.

Nothing is written though, they have to win it just the same as anyone else.

Uhmmm so? Who cares who is "picked" to win? That's my whole point here. Plus, last year our team battled through several injures and just never seemed to be the same time afterward, even in tournament play. Regardless, the talent is clearly there and it's a matter of synergy, if the team pulls it off this season, I pick UNT to win the SB without a question. Period. My opinion.

Edited by bleedgreen4ever

Uhmmm so? Who cares who is "picked" to win? That's my whole point here. Plus, last year our team battled through several injures and just never seemed to be the same time afterward, even in tournament play. Regardless, the talent is clearly there and it's a matter of synergy, if the team pulls it off this season, I pick UNT to win the SB without a question. Period. My opinion.

Actually you said ----

Dumb prediction regarding the sunbelt.

It's actually THE SMART PREDICTION. It doesn't mean it will be correct, but it's the smart one. Just like last year when we were the heavy favorite. Predictions don't always pan out, but they are the obvious pick. FAU earned it last year when they won the regular season rather handily, and return basically the entire team.

Do we have the potential to win? Sure. I must say though, I am more bullish on our Hot Springs chances than on the regular season championship. The team is gonna be much better in March than in January.

• Upvote 1

Actually you said ----

It's actually THE SMART PREDICTION. It doesn't mean it will be correct, but it's the smart one. Just like last year when we were the heavy favorite. Predictions don't always pan out, but they are the obvious pick. FAU earned it last year when they won the regular season rather handily, and return basically the entire team.

Do we have the potential to win? Sure. I must say though, I am more bullish on our Hot Springs chances than on the regular season championship. The team is gonna be much better in March than in January.

In my subjective mind, it's a dumb prediction, sir. And yes, I think coming tournament play, the team will find it's synergy and play better, hopefully.