CBS Sports Predicting 2012 Field

DeepGreen

You talk a lot about hope and yet-to-be-seen synergy, but contend FAU's proven success and chemistry makes for a dumb prediction.

A top recruiting class and I talk about hope?? I talk about hope about having synergy with such talent. In my mind, FAU's talent won't be equaled to ours. And who is contending their proven success and chemistry??? Did I ever saw they had NO success??? But, how far did they make it in the tournament last year?? We were predicted to win last year since we won the tournament. They weren't able to do that when it counted the most. Coaching is a huge part of it, and the talent is there on our part. Keep deducing in sport's talk, keep reasoning all you want. In the end, it's all about certain observation and knowledge, but mostly about gut and having a good time, no real logic involved from a fan's perspective. If you have the same amount of men playing each other, anything is possible, but as a fan, I say anyone predicting against the mean green is dumb. Period. It's fun.

Edited by bleedgreen4ever

A top recruiting class and I talk about hope?? I talk about hope about having synergy with such talent. In my mind, FAU's talent won't be equaled to ours. And who is contending their proven success and chemistry??? Did I ever saw they had NO success??? But, how far did they make it in the tournament last year?? We were predicted to win last year since we won the tournament. They weren't able to do that when it counted the most. Coaching is a huge part of it, and the talent is there on our part. Keep deducing in sport's talk, keep reasoning all you want. In the end, it's all about certain observation and knowledge, but mostly about gut and having a good time, no real logic involved from a fan's perspective. If you have the same amount of men playing each other, anything is possible, but as a fan, I say anyone predicting against the mean green is dumb. Period. It's fun.

Tough to argue with. Like, literally.

• Upvote 1

Tough to argue with. Like, literally.

It's like we're all trying to find concrete arguments here, and he is riding the "potential" pine into the bitter end.

When this all pans out and a a champion is crowned, they either eat crow or fist pump the board and say "woot woot I told ya'lls!!!eleven!1".

Edited by greenminer

Sorry, I've seen too much talent fail at this level to assume anything.

The only safe pick in the Belt is that our Mean Green will be competitive to the very end, and fun from start to finish.

/cliche'd

Well, I only said IF they find synergy amongst each other, they'll win. Is it an assertion? In part. Like I said, anything is possible, such as us losing our first game in the SB tournament. However, I have fun in saying we'll win it it all and then win at least two games in the NCAA tournament. Will I be disappointed if they don't? No. I still like to have high expectations, regardless.

Edited by bleedgreen4ever

A top recruiting class and I talk about hope?? I talk about hope about having synergy with such talent. In my mind, FAU's talent won't be equaled to ours. And who is contending their proven success and chemistry? How far did they make in the tournament last year?? Yeah, tons of proven success there. We were predicted to win last year since we won the tournament. They weren't able to do that when it counted the most. Coaching is a huge part of it, and the talent is there on our part. Keep deducing in sport's talk, keep reasoning all you want. In the end, it's all about certain observation and knowledge, but mostly about gut and having a good time, no real logic involved from a fan's perspective. If you have the same amount of men playing each other, anything is possible, but as a fan, I say anyone predicting against the mean green is dumb. Period. It's fun.

So, were the media dumb for predicting us last year?

I'd argue that we weren't predicted to win the league last season just because to the SBC tournament run in '10. Certainly that was not the case after we won the tournament in 2007, because we were so off and on that year. We were predicted to win in the 10/11 campaign because we had won (or at least tied winning) the regular season crown the season before AND had just about the entire squad back. Sure, the SBC tournament win is what every team really wants, but it's kind of a crap shoot. That's why people tend to pick teams that did well the previous regular season.

I mean UALR goes down in history as the 2011 Sunbelt Tournament Champions. Were they really the best team? You can go back and forth on that can't you? I'd say even though they finished 5th in the their division, they also had arguably the best player, and that the cream rises to the top in a tournament setting. On the other hand I'd also say they just happened to get hot at the right time, and had a somewhat favorable draw.

The previous year when we won both -- makes the argument a lot easier that were were the best doesn't it? That's why we were picked. This year their is no such luxury of having an overwhelming favorite (and we sure proved that wrong), but with the information available, FAU is the obvious one.

So, were the media dumb for predicting us last year?

I'd argue that we weren't predicted to win the league last season just because to the SBC tournament run in '10. Certainly that was not the case after we won the tournament in 2007, because we were so off and on that year. We were predicted to win in the 10/11 campaign because we had won (or at least tied winning) the regular season crown the season before AND had just about the entire squad back. Sure, the SBC tournament win is what every team really wants, but it's kind of a crap shoot. That's why people tend to pick teams that did well the previous regular season.

I mean UALR goes down in history as the 2011 Sunbelt Tournament Champions. Were they really the best team? You can go back and forth on that can't you? I'd say even though they finished 5th in the their division, they also had arguably the best player, and that the cream rises to the top in a tournament setting. On the other hand I'd also say they just happened to get hot at the right time, and had a somewhat favorable draw.

The previous year when we won both -- makes the argument a lot easier that were were the best doesn't it? That's why we were picked. This year their is no such luxury of having an overwhelming favorite (and we sure proved that wrong), but with the information available, FAU is the obvious one.

Enlightening. However, the mean green is the favorite to win it all and the obvious one in my mind.

I want in on some of this synergy!

Who are Raymond Taylor, Greg Gantt, Augustine Rubit, Martavious Adams, JJ Thomas, or Chase Hallam? Bunch of scrubs if you ask me.

34-0 and a 2 seed (because we were cheated and the selection committee does not recognize our talent, coaching, or synergy) in the NCAA tournament.

Final Four appearance or J.J. needs to have jumper cables clipped to his ears and hooked to a car battery until the battery runs out of juice.

If you don't believe this is going to happen with our new talent and proven coaching, then you don't truly believe in the Mean Green.

If you're not with me, you're against me. :sword:

• Upvote 3

I want in on some of this synergy!

Who are Raymond Taylor, Greg Gantt, Augustine Rubit, Martavious Adams, JJ Thomas, or Chase Hallam? Bunch of scrubs if you ask me.

34-0 and a 2 seed (because we were cheated and the selection committee does not recognize our talent, coaching, or synergy) in the NCAA tournament.

Final Four appearance or J.J. needs to have jumper cables clipped to his ears and hooked to a car battery until the battery runs out of juice.

If you don't believe this is going to happen with our new talent and proven coaching, then you don't truly believe in the Mean Green.

If you're not with me, you're against me. :sword:

Heck yeah!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think I heard someone say that starting this year we are going to win not one, not two, not three, but four Sun Belt Titles with this incoming class... let's not get ahead of ourselves, it's an exciting year for basketball but I am expecting some growing pains.

You heard wrong.

They said that we were going to win four Sun Belt Titles this season.

• Upvote 2

I think I heard someone say that starting this year we are going to win not one, not two, not three, but four Sun Belt Titles with this incoming class... let's not get ahead of ourselves, it's an exciting year for basketball but I am expecting some growing pains.

Are you comparing our incoming talent to that loser LeBron James? Put this team against the Miami Heat and JJ is accepting Spoelstra's forfeiture with 10 minutes remaining in the first half because the Heat's will to play the rest of the game will have already been crushed.

Pass it!

green-kool-aid-273x300.jpg

Keep an eye on Alonzo Edwards!

[/bit]

I agree. Didn't he have his knee scoped this offseason? I hope he's close to 100% this year.

I'm more anxious to see Alzee though. If healthy, and not rusty, he's our lock-down defender this year, and more than likely our starting PG (unless Jones just blows him away during practice this month).

Are you comparing our incoming talent to that loser LeBron James? Put this team against the Miami Heat and JJ is accepting Spoelstra's forfeiture with 10 minutes remaining in the first half because the Heat's will to play the rest of the game will have already been crushed.

Pass it!

green-kool-aid-273x300.jpg

I'm pretty sure that everyone in our incoming class is way more humble then LeBron. At least I hope so. I do like your dream basketball game setup here though.