Can SMU Save The Big East?

Harry

Once again, we should be careful what we wish for. As was sated in another thread, SMU going to the Big East would now mean NT would be the only metroplex school not in an AQ conference, thus minimizing our already nonexistent media coverage.

Second, I don't think we can say with 100% certainty that we'd be a lock to replace SMU.

I'm not sure how UNT being the only non- AQ school would reduce our media coverage, but I am sure that moving to C-USA would greatly benefit our school as a whole. We would get more money, more televised games, and more chances for our non- revenue sports to make NCAA tournaments. Seems more than worth it if the only downfall is that we get a few less seconds on the nightly news.

And nothing is certain, but I would tend to believe that the C-USA would want a team where their HQ is located.

I'm not sure how UNT being the only non- AQ school would reduce our media coverage, but I am sure that moving to C-USA would greatly benefit our school as a whole. We would get more money, more televised games, and more chances for our non- revenue sports to make NCAA tournaments. Seems more than worth it if the only downfall is that we get a few less seconds on the nightly news.

And nothing is certain, but I would tend to believe that the C-USA would want a team where their HQ is located.

How can we get negative seconds? Is this like time travel?

• Upvote 1

:cigar:Did anyone ever think that Coach Patterson (not known for such antics) had maybe even rehearsed this rant because it will give him (and TCU) an out on sponsoring SMU for the Big East?

TCU has been operating (and recruiting) rogue since they entered the MWC while at the same time trying to keep their distance from ex SWC schools now in CUSA for definite reasons and just observing at what happened at Pasadena, CA, last January at the Rose Bowl I think TCU's modus operendi of being separate from their former SWC/CUSA bretheran has paid some very nice dividends.

Yet if SMU is in the Big East then TCU has lost some of their exclusivity and operating in rogue status?

I think this a possible reason for Coach Pat's rant at ACS versus SMU and from one usually not prone to ranting. Just sayin'...

I can c SMU n the big east and TCU joining the Bevo 9 conf. This will give us a shot at CUSA and I think MWC because of a since of urgency. These two conf should agree to that 2 of the OCC games r between these two conf. Then should have a championship game between the two at Jerry's Place !!!

:cigar:Did anyone ever think that Coach Patterson (not known for such antics) had maybe even rehearsed this rant because it will give him (and TCU) an out on sponsoring SMU for the Big East?

TCU has been operating (and recruiting) rogue since they entered the MWC while at the same time trying to keep their distance from ex SWC schools now in CUSA for definite reasons and just observing at what happened at Pasadena, CA, last January at the Rose Bowl I think TCU's modus operendi of being separate from their former SWC/CUSA bretheran has paid some very nice dividends.

Yet if SMU is in the Big East then TCU has lost some of their exclusivity and operating in rogue status?

I think this a possible reason for Coach Pat's rant at ACS versus SMU and from one usually not prone to ranting. Just sayin'...

You must not have seen much of Gary Patterson. He is very prone to ranting. Went on a rant last year about wanting to put a kid in with a concussion even though the team doctor told him no. Gary said that as far as he was concerned the kid was fine.