What's with the conspiracy theorists and other talk?

UNTJarhead0802

Didn't say I wouldn't support North Texas, I always will, but I don't know if I will make the drive for a game. Hopefully I've got it all wrong.

I got railed against for saying I wouldn't bring another person as only one of them has seen a victory in Denton in the last half decade (Indiana game).

You get to a point where you still support the school, but it's difficult to convince people to even go, and much harder considering our home record since 2004.

I'll be there on Saturday rain or shine with my season ticket in hand.

• Downvote 1

This is just beyond stupid. Maybe it's because they're both Irish.

You keep referencing "game performance", but prior to the Tulsa game the two had maybe taken 25 D-1 snaps between them...and in completely different football situations...and of those, only McNulty managed to score, and against a first team defense to boot.

You really must be some sort of football savant to form such a stead-fast opinion based on such a small sample size...and in the face of what the coaches see everyday in practice (which, by the way, is the only bit of practical information available to the coaches to make such a decision).

I think you misunderstood his point. Look to where the snaps were taken. Thompson and Osborn both have driven the team down the field and then someone puts in the true freshman for goal line duty. Is this to help his stats? Make sure he scores the first touchdown in the history of our stadium? Nobody knows. The simple fact is that Osborn has driven the team down the field against Alabama's backups(I'd say better quality than Tulsa starters) only to have McNulty come in and fail to score points.

He has only been used in goal line work so why did they decide that now was the time? McNulty has not played in mopup duty, he has only been inserted for the opportunity to score points. If the coaches have him in there for his running ability then they are better off in the wildcat with James Hamilton, who just happens to have as much HS qb experience as McNulty only Hamilton played against much better competition in TX.

• Upvote 3

Well, the situation does bear watching, but maybe not for the same reasons some are speculating here on GMG.com. I would ask why is the #2 QB not getting the start over the #3 QB on the charts? Should the depth chart be revised? Look, it's the HC's and OC's decision on who starts and who doesn't, but if there is even a whisper of favoritism developing here...yes, McNulty's dad has been seen on the sidelines with a sideline pass...then Coach Mac needs to deal with it internally with the team and perhaps the team's parents. Sure don't need any of this sort of controversy brewing when you are trying to rebuild a program. Just never helps. BUT, it's an internal matter with the team and maybe the parents. Would hate to lose Osborn to a transfer, and would hate to have the team "split" between who they want to play QB if DT cannot go. This sort of thing in team sports rarely seems to work out for the best. Internal strife within a "family" rarely leads to good things.

Sure, could be way too much over way too little. But, UNT has just come out of a father-son QB/Coach situation that some fans just could never see as anything other than favoritism. Don't want or need that again, so here's hoping that Coach mac nips it in the bud. I cannot see Coach Mac allowing something like this to develop and fester. Sure, some folks see conspiracies behind every tree, and those folks will never be satisfied, but for the majority of UNT fans, I expect this is already a non-issue and are not even aware of the possibility. Like some on here have said...even UT has this challenge, right?

Let's hope DT is healthy, keeps developing as the #1 QB while McNulty and Osborn get plenty of playing time to develop as well. They can "duke it out" in practice and in spring and fall ball to see who emerges as the #1. Right now, our #1 is DT...let's go DT!

• Upvote 2

I think you misunderstood his point. Look to where the snaps were taken. Thompson and Osborn both have driven the team down the field and then someone puts in the true freshman for goal line duty. Is this to help his stats? Make sure he scores the first touchdown in the history of our stadium? Nobody knows. The simple fact is that Osborn has driven the team down the field against Alabama's backups(I'd say better quality than Tulsa starters) only to have McNulty come in and fail to score points.

He has only been used in goal line work so why did they decide that now was the time? McNulty has not played in mopup duty, he has only been inserted for the opportunity to score points. If the coaches have him in there for his running ability then they are better off in the wildcat with James Hamilton, who just happens to have as much HS qb experience as McNulty only Hamilton played against much better competition in TX.

My point is we, the fan, have seen maybe 25 snaps combined for McNulty and Osborn...and even those are impossible to compare as they've come in completely different circumstances (mop-up for Osborn...some kind of "wildcat-ish" package for McNulty).

25 snaps for two QBs is no where near the sample size needed to form an accurate opinion on their abilities and readiness...either for us the fans...or certainly not for the coaches. That's why the determination HAD to be made in practice.

Lifer, and others, had convinced themselves after such a minuscule sample, that McNulty both is not ready for D-1 college football AND...in what I believe you have me quoted on as being "beyond stupid"...there must be something aside from a purely football decision at work that would have MCCarney start McNulty.

My point is we, the fan, have seen maybe 25 snaps combined for McNulty and Osborn...and even those are impossible to compare as they've come in completely different circumstances (mop-up for Osborn...some kind of "wildcat-ish" package for McNulty).

25 snaps for two QBs is no where near the sample size needed to form an accurate opinion on their abilities and readiness...either for us the fans...or certainly not for the coaches. That's why the determination HAD to be made in practice.

Lifer, and others, had convinced themselves after such a minuscule sample, that McNulty both is not ready for D-1 college football AND...in what I believe you have me quoted on as being "beyond stupid"...there must be something aside from a purely football decision at work that would have MCCarney start McNulty.

Please take your logic somewhere else. We like to overreact here. Two games ago we were on our way to a bowl game. Now, we have nepotism and people will never come see another game in our new stadium. Please get with the program.

• Upvote 4

While you are correct on the sample size being small, this is not an economic or quantitative analysis. He is not predicting the amount of snaps each will take or the value of each snap. What he is saying, as you did, is that McNulty is getting prime stat producing opportunities. He gets these even over our starting qb. He has every right to make the assumption that factors other than performance may be at play here.

Additionally, Garrett Gilbert is, by all accounts, a phenomenal practice player but that does not help you beat Iowa State or Baylor.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

While you are correct on the sample size being small, this is not an economic or quantitative analysis. He is not predicting the amount of snaps each will take or the value of each snap. What he is saying, as you did, is that McNulty is getting prime stat producing opportunities. He gets these even over our starting qb. He has every right to make the assumption that factors other than performance may be at play here.

The sample size statement is in direct response to the sentiment that Osborn > McNulty. Prior to the Tulsa game, no one...not the fans, not the players and not the coaches...had seen enough of either QB IN A GAME to determine who should start...thus (logically, or so I thought) it would have to be decided by performance in practice. The idea that McNulty started b/c his pops is buddy-buddy with McCarney is stupid...nay...beyond stupid. I'm now starting to think some miss having the Rodge/Todge debate so much that they're just making ess up.

Additionally, Garrett Gilbert is, by all accounts, a phenomenal practice player but that does not help you beat Iowa State or Baylor.

How'd Texas determine Gilbert is not as good in a game as he is in practice? Did...they...maybe...play...him...in...a...game...or...two?

• Upvote 2

The sample size statement is in direct response to the sentiment that Osborn > McNulty. Prior to the Tulsa game, no one...not the fans, not the players and not the coaches...had seen enough of either QB IN A GAME to determine who should start...thus (logically, or so I thought) it would have to be decided by performance in practice. The idea that McNulty started b/c his pops is buddy-buddy with McCarney is stupid...nay...beyond stupid. I'm now starting to think some miss having the Rodge/Todge debate so much that they're just making ess up.

How'd Texas determine Gilbert is not as good in a game as he is in practice? Did...they...maybe...play...him...in...a...game...or...two?

. Pull your head out of the sand bro. You're better than this.

Actually, the point Cr1028 makes is exactly why I made the statement I did. Osborn drove us down the field against Alabama to the 2 yard line. Please explain why he was pulled at that point? Thompson drove us down the field against UH and was pulled near the goal line. Again, I ask why? This has to piss off Osborn and Thompson and can't be good for their confidence. Outside of scoring the first TD against UH, what has McNulty shown in a game that is better than what either Thompson or Osborn has done? What has he shown that leads anyone to believe he is ready to play at this time? This is all prior to the Tulsa game. Has he shown a talent so great that we should burn his redshirt year for a handful of plays?

• Upvote 3