Interesting comparison

eppy4life

As Craig (I can already hear the boos) and Gordon were giving George a hard time about the game last night Gordo compared being a UNT football fan to being in an abusive abusive relationship (not trying to be insensitive). Fans getting beat up time and time again but holding on to the hope that things will change.

Side note, have we tested Jub Jub for PEDs? I don't see how he does what he does.

• Upvote 1

As Craig (I can already hear the boos) and Gordon were giving George a hard time about the game last night Gordo compared being a UNT football fan to being in an abusive abusive relationship (not trying to be insensitive). Fans getting beat up time and time again but holding on to the hope that things will change.

Side note, have we tested Jub Jub for PEDs? I don't see how he does what he does.

You have named two of the three reasons why I no longer listen to the Ticket. May George soon be able to rub Junior and Gordo's faces in it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

George has to be in the NT Sports Hall of Fame if he quit broadcasting games tomorrow. It'd be very easy for that guy to be like Craig and distance himself from athletics. I really don't know how he goes and sits through a delay in Florida getting dumped on while lending his voice to the broadcast under a tent in the rain, and then shows up for the morning drive show at his regular job. And, he does it all with no drop off in enthusiasm and talent. It has to eat him up sometimes to watch some of the garbage that happens on the field.

It must be pretty special and an added bonus for him and his son that they can make those trips together.

There are at least three or four of us from the "old days" (I'm in my 40th year of being a fan) that are active on this board. As much as I dislike the comparison of an abusive relationship, there is some truth to what he says.

Not to start telling 'old fart" stories, but I remember when I was a lieutenant stationed with a handful of other Americans on a Turkish Air Force base in Balikesir. I've have to shoot you if I told you what we did. Anyway, in those days, there was no Internet, TV, etc etc and the only link we had with the outside world was the weekly delivery of "The Stars and Stripes", a newspaper for GIs stationed overseas. I could not wait to get those papers and the first thing I did was to go to the sports section to see how North Texas had done even though the game had taken place over two weeks prior.

We've seen the program when Florida State would come to Fouts, regular whoopings of Corso's Louisville teams, national ranking, etc. And while we never set the world on fire, there was a national measure of respect for North Texas State and no one laughed at us, even in the lean years.

But since then, I am not sure there is another D1A program in the country that has suffered like North Texas.

And that is why the blow-out to FIU was so disappointing. Maybe I didn't expect a win but after the new well-paid coach,bravado, etc, I was hoping for a close game. After it was all over, I said to myself, "why do I bother? This is just more of the same."

But like an abused spouse, I will be back for more; win or lose.

Edited by letsgiveacheer
  • Upvote 2

And that is why the blow-out to FIU was so disappointing. Maybe I didn't expect a win but after all the new well-paid coach,bravado, etc, I was hoping for a close game. After it was all over, I said to myself, "why do I bother? This is just more of the same."

The last winning season was 8 years ago. That's 8 recruiting classes that have not known winning at North Texas. These 8 years have been, historically, the worst stretch of football teams this school has ever fielded.

You already know this, but there is hope. Temper your expectations. It's not more of the same. It's a start.

No coach is good enough to go through practice and off-season the only way a National Champion knows how and erase those 8 years in the first game. No coach is going to be able to do it in 2 games.

There are at least three or four of us from the "old days" (I'm in my 40th year of being a fan) that are active on this board. As much as I dislike the comparison of an abusive relationship, there is some truth to what he says.

I hate this analogy. I follow my alma mater because I'm proud to have graduated from the school and I enjoy following the team. There are times I question why I enjoy it, but ultimately I stick around.

No one is being abused by being a North Texas fan. If anyone out there doesn't enjoy being a fan, they should go do something they enjoy better.

Besides, it could be worse -- we could be UT fans. Every conference they join ends up folding. I feel sorry for them.

Edited by rcade

But since then, I am not sure there is another D1A program in the country that has suffered like North Texas.

We're definitely among the most beleaguered programs because of the idiotic decision to go down to I-AA. But I was attending UT-Arlington right after they killed football. I'd say they've suffered more.