My UNT FB Preview by Position: WR

cl_1_2008

Wide receiver kind of worries me. My main worry is that our most talented receiver, Darius Carey, was recently kicked off the team. He'll be much harder to replace than Jamaal Jackson. Now, our best receiver, by far, is Christopher Bynes. This may come as a surprise to some of you because he's only been seen in limited action. Well, you're just gonna have to trust me on this one. His brother was the 2nd best player on the defense of the 2011 National Champions. The Bynes' family is just talented, I promise. Our next best receiver, in my opinion is Jamize Olawale. He's huge for a receiver, and very fast. The only concern with him is that he doesn't know the plays. That will come with time. Third, we have Mike Outlaw. Outlaw is very talented. Before the Ohio game he was very good. That game messed with his head I think. With an entire new coaching staff, I think and hope, that this marks a fresh start for him. Next, we have Brelan Chancellor. He's young, so he's limited in his knowledge of the offense, but you can't deny his talent. Even if he doesn't make an impact at receiver, he's still one of the best returners in the country. And he's incredibly strong. At 175 pounds, he squatted 510. That's just absurd. Next, you have Willie Taylor. He's a small, slot receiver with good hands and good quickness. He's also very shifty. I think he'll be a decent 4th receiver. Then, we have Tyler Stradford, the transfer from Oklahoma. This kid is 6'2" with unbelievable speed. Athletically, he is probably a top 20 receiver in the entire country. However, he has huge problems catching a football. Being a receiver, that is kind of an important trait. Then you have Breece Johnson. Breece has the best hands on the team and knows the playbook. His athleticism is the only thing holding him back. Although, I would rather have a guy like him out there than an athletic guy who doesn't know what he is doing. Other than that, I don't think anyone else will see the field. Chase Baine might, but I haven't seen him at the position, so I can't comment on that.

Starter Outside: Chris Bynes

Starter Inside: Willie Taylor

Starter Inside: Brelan Chancellor

Starter Outside: Mike Outlaw

2 Outside: Jamize Olawale

2 Inside: Chase Baine

2 Outside: Breece Johnson

3 Outside: Tyler Stradford

3 Inside: Jeremy Brown

Overall Position Rating: 5.75/10

Starter Position Rating: 6.5/10

Backup Postion Rating: 5/10

This post has been promoted to an article

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

This is terrible.. Chase baine is 4th inside. Casey Schutza is 2nd inside and Teegarden is 3rd. The Jeremy brown plays running back? Not reciever... Who are you writing a report and you have no clue what your talking about.

Ummm...first of all, I'd like to let everyone know that you don't have the slightest idea what you're talking about. Schutza is not second string. Baine is. And Teegarden is ahead of him as well. Jeremy Brown was a misprint. I apologize for that, but who are you to say this is terrible? If you think it's bad, then give me a good reason, otherwise you're wasting my time. Also, I'm friends with Casey Schutza. Good guy, but I'd be shocked if he saw the field. And once again, if you'd like to critique, then critique. Back your statement up with something. Anything.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Considering i just left the team i know the depth chart. This wasnt a "casey schutza" argument this was about the whole depth chart, but saying that, Casey schutza is 2nd string in front of baine and teegarden. Ask a coach if you have any doubts. Schutza is pushing for reps with the 1st string as well. Baine is getting more reps but Teegarden is in front of him as well. Baine is not gonna get to play at reciever alot he'll be more special teams. And jeremy brown is a running back and you listed him as a reciever.

• Downvote 1

First, I don't see but three wide receivers to a unit, at least this year. Someone will need to block for Dunbar and that job falls on the tight end/u-back. Receivers are usually just downfield blockers.

I see the starters as Stradford (in spite of his iron hands) and either Bynes or Outlaw as the other outside receiver. Unless a slot receiver really steps up then one of them could (and I think will) be moved inside.

I believe that Breece Johnson is the #2 wide receiver behind Stradford on one side and my surprise #2 on the other side is Teegarden. Willie Taylor should be #2 in the slot.

My #3 unit is Schutza and Olewale on the outside and Brelan Chancellor in the slot. I think that it's also possible that Chaz Sampson and Mike Marshall earn some playing time.

I believe that the Brown that you are referring to is Greg Brown. He is considered a wide receiver but so far he has been on special teams. The athlete that I'm having the most trouble placing is Chase Baine. He's a good athlete and deserves to play...but where? My guess is some slot and some special teams.

This is the weakest position on paper but somehow I feel that it could surprise. Coach Quartaro will drill them on catching the football until they could catch them in their sleep. He'll have them running routes until they're dragging. He'll find whatever talent exists. Teegarden, Chancellor and Sampson are hidden gems IMHO.

Receivers are another great recruiting need. Stradford, Outlaw, Johnson and Olewale are seniors on an already thin receiving corps.

The athlete that I'm having the most trouble placing is Chase Baine. He's a good athlete and deserves to play...but where? My guess is some slot and some special teams.

Hey Gray, not sure if you caught the interview with DMac last week. He mentioned Baine being the most consistent WR thus far.

...for what it's worth...

Hey Gray, not sure if you caught the interview with DMac last week. He mentioned Baine being the most consistent WR thus far.

...for what it's worth...

Good to hear, miner...somehow I missed that.

Chase is an enigma. He's like a jack-of-all-trades, master of none to me. One thing that I especially like about him is he leaves it all on the field. He'll give you his maximum effort every time. He's worked hard for what he's accomplished and I'm glad to hear about the kudos.

Good to hear, miner...somehow I missed that.

Chase is an enigma. He's like a jack-of-all-trades, master of none to me. One thing that I especially like about him is he leaves it all on the field. He'll give you his maximum effort every time. He's worked hard for what he's accomplished and I'm glad to hear about the kudos.

I think Coach "Mac" is pulling for Baine to make an impact. The move from QB to WR should have been done 2 years ago. I think Coach Dodge wasted his talents keeping him as the emergency QB. If Baine gets some reps at WR he will be Thompsons "go to guy" when a first down is a must this year. Dunbar has got to be pulling for him also. Baines size at the slot will help block the LBs and DBs making it easier for Lance to burst to outside.

See ya in Miami !!

Considering i just left the team i know the depth chart. This wasnt a "casey schutza" argument this was about the whole depth chart, but saying that, Casey schutza is 2nd string in front of baine and teegarden. Ask a coach if you have any doubts. Schutza is pushing for reps with the 1st string as well. Baine is getting more reps but Teegarden is in front of him as well. Baine is not gonna get to play at reciever alot he'll be more special teams. And jeremy brown is a running back and you listed him as a reciever.

Quitter.