My UNT FB Preview by Position: QB

cl_1_2008

Derek Thompson is our starter now. Even in a very limited amount of playing time, Thompson has proven that he is more than capable of getting the job done. He's a big kid with a big arm, who knows the playbook like the back of his hand. We are in good shape with him taking snaps. Backing him up, we have Brent Osborn, a junior college transfer. Going strictly by talent, I think he's just a step behind Thompson, but again, Thompson knows the playbook like the back of his hand. Talent-wise, I still feel very comfortable with him as the backup. Learning the playbook will take time, but when he does, we will have 2 very competent division 1 quarterbacks. We do have a true freshman coming in who may be the most talented of the bunch, but I expect him to redshirt, and I hope he does because that means we will have stayed healthy and had no problems at the position. There are 3 more quarterbacks listed on the roster in John Dodson, Andrew McNulty, and Derrick Teegarden. I know for a fact that Teegarden is no longer a QB. He's been playing receiver since the day he stepped on campus. As for the other two, I won't go into detail because I don't expect them to see the field. Overall, I think we look good at this position.

Starter: Derek Thompson

2: Brent Osborn

3: Cooper Jones

Overall Confidence Rating: 7/10

Starter Confidence Rating: 7.25/10

Backup Confidence Rating: 6.75/10

This post has been promoted to an article

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

If I were choosing #3, I would go with Dodson. Actually, based on what I saw in the spring, I would put him at #2.

That's a hot sports opinion! Why exactly do you give Dodson the nod. I like Dodson too btw but not sure I would put him ahead of Osborn who has played with success at th junior college level.

Don't be surprise if Cooper Jones gets into that backup spot. From what I hear, he's been very good so far, and can make any throw you need him to accurately.

I hope Cooper spends his first year at NT as a Redshirt. I'd like to see #8 put on 15 or 20 pounds of muscle before he takes a snap for the Mean Green.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

That's a hot sports opinion! Why exactly do you give Dodson the nod. I like Dodson too btw but not sure I would put him ahead of Osborn who has played with success at th junior college level.

Dodson played with more confidence in the spring. He didn't get as many reps, but to me, he was more effective. People get too caught up in the height/strong arm thing. Clearly Osborn has a stronger arm, but he pushed too hard and made too many mistakes. To me, Dodson played better under pressure. However, my observation of these situations has been that coaches will give more "reps" to the players on a ship, than the walk-ons.

• 2 weeks later...

Redallover, you're welcome. And to the John Dodson fan, no offense, but a LOT would have to go wrong for him to see the field. He currently has Thompson, Osborn, McNulty, and Jones in front of him, and if it came down to it, I'm certain they'd move Baine in there before him as well. Also, I'm hearing Osborn is looking a lot better as he is getting settled into the offense.