Having an experienced head coach in McCarney a big part of UNT's p

Brett Vito

I hought it was very interesting to see that an experienced head coach in George O'Leary that went to a moribund program stuck in the mud in UCF was able to turn it around very quickly. In his second year at UCF, they were in a bowl game against Nevada and broke a 17 game losing streak. Unfortunately, his first team was a big part of that 17 game losing streak, too, as they went 0-11. CUSA might be a tougher conference than the SBC, but its not terribly tougher.

Just gives you perspective on what a first-year coach is up against sometimes when they take over a bad program.

"FAU’s successful sales pitch gave Angelos a chance to watch the veteran work his magic beginning in 2003, when he took over as the school’s athletic director.

“The great thing about Howard is that he will go anywhere any time, any place to promote the program,” Angelos said. “He will go to the cafeteria, the student union and other places. He will bring posters and sign them. He will bring people to his office and show them his national championship rings. At this level of college football, you need more than an Xs-and-Os guy. You need someone to promote the program.

A coach that is willing/able to promote the program?!?! :o

Now, who would have ever suggested such a thing for North Texas?..... B)

"FAU’s successful sales pitch gave Angelos a chance to watch the veteran work his magic beginning in 2003, when he took over as the school’s athletic director.

“The great thing about Howard is that he will go anywhere any time, any place to promote the program,” Angelos said. “He will go to the cafeteria, the student union and other places. He will bring posters and sign them. He will bring people to his office and show them his national championship rings. At this level of college football, you need more than an Xs-and-Os guy. You need someone to promote the program.

A coach that is willing/able to promote the program?!?! :o

Now, who would have ever suggested such a thing for North Texas?..... B)

And that's why FAU is now a national power.

• Downvote 1

Well, until last year they certainly had power over us....even in our bowl years.

True... but look at that window.

Luckily, the times are a changin' and we got both sides of the job covered now.

• Upvote 1

True... but look at that window.

Luckily, the times are a changin' and we got both sides of the job covered now.

What I looked at was a program that didn't exist before the late 90's that immediately owned our program (record wise)....and before our series started with them we had been playing football for how long?

I'll lay it out real simple for everyone. He had our own Howard Shellenberger (sp?) in Hayden Fry. He proved during his stint here what kind of coach works best for North Texas (see my comments above), YET after he left our administration seemed to go out of its way to hire coaches that were (with the possible exception of Corky Nelson) not like him. In the case of Dickey, they couldn't have hired anyone more opposite (personality wise) than Hayden Fry.

Don't get me wrong, I'm absolutely delighted that Hayden has made a return in the persons of Coach McCarney and Coach Canales......but why has it taken the administration so long to wake up? It's not just about money. There were/are a lot of would be up-and-coming Hayden Frys out there. Someone just needed to have done their homework.

Edited by SilverEagle

What I looked at was a program that didn't exist before the late 90's that immediately owned our program (record wise)....and before our series started with them we had been playing football for how long?

I'll lay it out real simple for everyone. He had our own Howard Shellengerber (sp?) in Hayden Fry. He proved during his stint here what kind of coach works best for North Texas (see my comments above), YET after he left our administration seemed to go out of its way to hire coaches that were (with the possible exception of Corky Nelson) not like him. In the case of Dickey, they couldn't have hired anyone more opposite (personality wise) than Hayden Fry.

Don't get me wrong, I'm absolutely delighted that Hayden has made a return in the persons of Coach McCarney and Coach Canales......but why has it taken the administration so long to wake up? It's not just about money. There were/are a lot of would be up-and-coming Hayden Frys out there. Someone just needed to have done their homework.

And I'd argue - although it's a pretty agreeable sort of debate we're having - that our athletic administrators have found several of these people at times, but the larger administration saw no interest in opening their checkbook to get them -- sometimes even for negligible amounts.

As for my other point, it really doesn't look like old Howie can produce big pictures results much better than Dickey, no matter how personable he is. Having someone feed you squirrel meat your whole life doesn't mean possum is good just because you try it late and think it tastes better.

• Upvote 1

And I'd argue - although it's a pretty agreeable sort of debate we're having - that our athletic administrators have found several of these people at times, but the larger administration saw no interest in opening their checkbook to get them -- sometimes even for negligible amounts.

As for my other point, it really doesn't look like old Howie can produce big pictures results much better than Dickey, no matter how personable he is. Having someone feed you squirrel meat your whole life doesn't mean possum is good just because you try it late and think it tastes better.

Yeah, but have you seen that guy's moustache? I mean, he looks like Captain Kangaroo! That's gotta count for at least 1 or 2 extra 3* recruits per year right?

OK, repeat after me..."Al Hurley."

AND drex with by Complete and Total KNOCKOUT! Hurley was the biggest problem that NT Athletics has ever had to overcome!!!!!!!!