Mean Green will play @ Longhorns

UNTflyer

Texas plays like 13 non-conference games and only 2 are on the road (North Carolina & UCLA). Are we getting anything out of this deal, other then a bump in RPI and a really tough road game? Is there a return visit? If not, I'd rather we keep scheduling teams like Tech, Oklahoma State, and LSU, who will actually play at the Super Pit.

Texas plays like 13 non-conference games and only 2 are on the road (North Carolina & UCLA). Are we getting anything out of this deal, other then a bump in RPI and a really tough road game? Is there a return visit? If not, I'd rather we keep scheduling teams like Tech, Oklahoma State, and LSU, who will actually play at the Super Pit.

Money. This is a guarantee game, that's why they don't have to return the game.

We, like all the other non-BCS Texas teams on that schedule, are getting a check for the game. Like Kansas last year, it allows us to buy our own guarantee games against SWAC and Southland opponents to build up a home slate.

We, like all the other non-BCS Texas teams on that schedule, are getting a check for the game. Like Kansas last year, it allows us to buy our own guarantee games against SWAC and Southland opponents to build up a home slate.

I understand the need for money, but if we played teams like Tech at home more often, instead of teams from the SWAC and Southland, we'd have better attendance, and might not need to play these money games. The Tech game last year was great. Name opponent, big crowd, lots of energy, and a win; this is what the public wants.

A bunch of home games against a bunch of SWAC teams, only produces a bunch of home wins with low attendance, lower RPI, and a money road game that usually ends in a loss.

I'd rather play an equal amount of home and road games, against teams that will play in Denton, that the public will show up to see, and result in better RPI numbers. Lets keep scheduling Tech, OK State, LSU, and add some C-USA schools, like SMU, Tulsa, Tulane, Houston, UTEP, Southern Miss, and UAB.

I know fans like you and me, will go see UNT play, but unfortunately, I feel the general public needs more incentive to show up.

• Upvote 2

This is a copy of TCU's OOC basketball schedule from last season. They had Bradley, SMU, Houston and USC all play in Fort Worth, and they had away games against Tech, Nebraska, Tulsa and Rice. I would expect TCU will be going on the road for return games against SMU, Houston, and USC, if they want them to. I'm sure Tech, Tulsa, and Rice will all give them a return game. I don't expect UNT to bring USC to the Super Pit, but we have a better basketball program then TCU. We should be able to schedule similar teams at home and on the road. They play some SWAC teams but not too many, and the Nebraska game might be a money game, but Nebraska is not Texas. They would not be a easy game, but they are more beatable then Texas.

2010-2011 SCHEDULE

Date Opponent / Event Location Time / Result

11/02/10 vs. Rogers State (Exhibition) Fort Worth, Texas W, 70-53

11/12/10 vs. Jackson State Fort Worth, Texas W, 86-62

11/16/10 vs. SMU TV Fort Worth, Texas W, 84-64

Basketball Hall of Fame Tip-Off Tournament

11/20/10 vs. Rider Springfield, Mass. L, 76-61

11/21/10 vs. Bradley Springfield, Mass. W, 74-68

11/22/10 vs. Massachusetts Springfield, Mass. L, 67-48

11/27/10 vs. Houston Fort Worth, Texas W, 79-63

11/29/10 vs. USC TV Fort Worth, Texas W, 81-69

12/01/10 vs. Prairie View A&M Fort Worth, Texas W, 78-61

12/04/10 vs. Northern Iowa TV Fort Worth, Texas L, 64-60

12/08/10 at Texas Tech Lubbock, Texas W, 81-77

12/11/10 at Nebraska TV Lincoln, Neb. L, 70-56

12/21/10 vs. Northwestern State Fort Worth, Texas W, 96-79

12/28/10 vs. Chicago State Fort Worth, Texas W, 99-72

12/30/10 at Tulsa Tulsa, Okla. L, 69-66

01/02/11 at Rice Houston, Texas L, 70-61

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Getting some of those teams to the SuperPit with our current program is much easier said than done. We're too good to be an easy win for schools to wanna travel here, but not respected enough for them to be okay with losing to us. We've discussed this at length in the past.

This is more than just a check game. This is a measure of the program game. There needs to be one of these on the schedule every year (just like kansas last year). May not go good for us this year (although it will let us know how the freshmen are progressing), but watch out in 2012.

This is more than just a check game. This is a measure of the program game. There needs to be one of these on the schedule every year (just like kansas last year). May not go good for us this year (although it will let us know how the freshmen are progressing), but watch out in 2012.

I'm pretty sure Texas knows that we graduated a whole bunch of seniors this past season.

I don't know that there will be a 2012 game against Texas.

I'm pretty sure Texas knows that we graduated a whole bunch of seniors this past season.

I don't know that there will be a 2012 game against Texas.

Point is there will be a 2012 game against A Texas. Whether it be kansas, Texas, Duke, North Carolina, or whomever. This program has reached the point where there needs to be one measuring stick game a year. While those games may have included Ok St. and TTech in the past, times have changed. We have proven that we can beat those type of teams. So, now one game against a really big boy is what we should (and I do) expect.

Point is there will be a 2012 game against A Texas. Whether it be kansas, Texas, Duke, North Carolina, or whomever. This program has reached the point where there needs to be one measuring stick game a year. While those games may have included Ok St. and TTech in the past, times have changed. We have proven that we can beat those type of teams. So, now one game against a really big boy is what we should (and I do) expect.

I think this program has reached a point where we have earned some respect around the southwest. I don't really think we need the measuring stick road games, and I don't think we need an OOC schedule loaded with home games against the SWAC and Southland. Jones has proven his teams can go toe to toe with most of the better teams and win at the Super Pit. Every season we should be playing those schools (OK St., T.Tech, LSU, Houston, TCU, SMU, UTEP, Baylor, New Mexico, Tulsa, Tulane, and Southern Miss)(home and home series), maybe 2 SWAC or Southland (home only), and then maybe one big boy (home and home series). If Texas, or any other regional power won't do it, that's fine. Maybe we will play them in the NCAA Tournament. I think this is the kind of scheduling that will advance our program to a higher level, and improve attendance.

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Upvote 1

The guys relish the opportunity to beat Texas. Don't think for a moment they wouldn't like to win one in Austin.

Keep doing what we've been doing. Keep giving them the opportunity to raise the bar. We've earned respect, for sure, but if this means JJ is gonna keep trying to shoot higher, then I'm all for it.

• Upvote 2

The guys relish the opportunity to beat Texas. Don't think for a moment they wouldn't like to win one in Austin.

Keep doing what we've been doing. Keep giving them the opportunity to raise the bar. We've earned respect, for sure, but if this means JJ is gonna keep trying to shoot higher, then I'm all for it.

I want to play them in Austin. I love that we scheduled them. I just find it disrespectful that they won't return the game. Our team deserves a chance to play them on our court too.

I want to play them in Austin. I love that we scheduled them. I just find it disrespectful that they won't return the game. Our team deserves a chance to play them on our court too.

I get what you're saying, but Kansas doesn't leave their court hardly ever until January. Certainly not for a mid-major that has been decent. Players love playing big games. It's real tough to schedule these days, I'm sure.

Odds are that UT will never play at the SPit. The only reason they played here once before is that it was part of a deal for NT to release 6'10 Victor Mitchell ( brother of former NT player Fred) to play at UT after he had signed with NT.

• 3 weeks later...