Fox's Weirdest Mascot In Sports

Harry

I think it was a smart move to officially change our nickname from the Eagles to the Mean Green. Does anyone remember the BB game with Boston College? Confusing to say the least.

Check out this website. According to them, there are 60 colleges that use the nickname "Eagles" (including UNT since it is still our official mascot). Only one that uses "Mean Green" and one that uses "Mean Green Eagles". (Both UNT of course.)

I'm a bit distracted by how the list was last updated on 7/7/2011, but that's a different issue.

It wasn't that long ago that we had two "Aggies" teams and two "Indians" teams all in the Sun Belt.

Edited by UNT 90 Grad

They actually got the story about how we got the name "Mean Green" right! But no, that's Scrappy, not "Mean Green".

Edited by Stix

Check out this website. According to them, there are 60 colleges that use the nickname "Eagles" (including UNT since it is still our official mascot). Only one that uses "Mean Green" and one that uses "Mean Green Eagles". (Both UNT of course.)

I'm a bit distracted by how the list was last updated on 7/7/2011, but that's a different issue.

It wasn't that long ago that we had two "Aggies" teams and two "Indians" teams all in the Sun Belt.

And out of those 60 colleges, how many play Division 1 football? I believe the answer is us, Boston College and East Michigan. There will be four when Georgia Southern moves up....if ever.

I really expected to see Big Red, the WKU mascot in there somewhere. That is one of the strangest IMO.

I agree. WKU's red blob is the weirdest college mascot, and it didn't make the list. What is that thing anyway? It looks like the Muppet version of a pedophile.

I agree. WKU's red blob is the weirdest college mascot, and it didn't make the list. What is that thing anyway? It looks like the Muppet version of a pedophile.

That is the best description of Big Red that I have seen!!!!