This Year’S Recruiting Class

I apologize if it has already been posted, but does anyone have any information on how we stacked up compared to the other schools in Texas?

Thanks,

KJ

Well...I'm not knowledgeable enough to make comparison, but here's yahoo.com article about UNT's 31st best class in the nation prior to Mr. Mitchell and Mr. Franklin's arrival in Denton. Looks like UNT BB shelves are well stocked for the future. Now we just need a truly dominant Center and we'd be set to make big March Madness run over the next several years. :thumbsu:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=ycn-7711420

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

When the recruiting service evaluate our class, Mitchell won't be included in 2011...but for practicality (and ego-stroking) sake let's lump him in with our current haul:

Tony Mitchell - 5star (Rivals), 95 (ESPN)

Roger Franklin - 4star, 91

Jordan Williams - 3star, 85

Chris Jones - 3star, ungraded

Forrest Robinson - 3star, ungraded

Trey Norris - 2star, 80

Brandon Walton - ungraded JUCO

UT has five players graded above 91, including 1 five star. A&M has a 4star, 95 and a 3star, 91. Baylor has a 5star, 98 and a 4star 95...so I'd say we're still behind the best programs in the state

The next tier would be...

Houston - 4, Rivals 3star graded 92,91,88 and ungraded by ESPN, plus 1 JUCO transfer

SMU - 1, Rivals 4star graded 89, 2, 3star graded 88 and 86, 1, 2star graded 86

Tech - 4, Rivals 3star all graded 89, plus 3 JUCO transfers (1 I really wanted here)

UTEP - 3, Rivals 3star graded 88,87 and 85, 1, 2star graded 79, 1, Rivals ungraded, graded 83 by ESPN, plus 3 JUCOs.

TCU, UTA, SHST, SFA et al are all considerably back.

My take...

1. Texas - Myck Kabongo will have a bigger impact than Baylor's Quincey Jones

2. Baylor

3. A&M

4. UNT

5. SMU

6. Houston

7. Texas Tech

8. UTEP

• Upvote 3

Well...I'm not knowledgeable enough to make comparison, but here's yahoo.com article about UNT's 31st best class in the nation prior to Mr. Mitchell and Mr. Franklin's arrival in Denton. Looks like UNT BB shelves are well stocked for the future. Now we just need a truly dominant Center and we'd be set to make big March Madness run over the next several years. :thumbsu:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=ycn-7711420

The 31st ranking was based on the fall signing period and a lot of water has gone under the bridge since then. Has anyone seen how we are rated now?

Mitchell won't be included since, as I understand it, he has not signed a LOI.

The 31st ranking was based on the fall signing period and a lot of water has gone under the bridge since then. Has anyone seen how we are rated now?

I thought he has enrolled at NT and is taking some courses that will make him elgible by next fall.

Franklin has signed a LOI which occurred after the fall signing period. He is listed by Rivals as a 4* and Mitchell is listed as a 5* recruit...those two should give NT even a higher recruiting ranking

It's been a long time and maybe never that UNT is discussed with the likes of Texas, Baylor, and A&M!!! All these schools are nationally recognized in BB especially Texas and Baylor and to lesser extent A&M.

Does anyone really doubt the value of Johnny Jones any longer and what he's building here at UNT? :goodjob:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Franklin has signed a LOI which occurred after the fall signing period. He is listed by Rivals as a 4* and Mitchell is listed as a 5* recruit...those two should give NT even a higher recruiting ranking

Most of them also exclude D1 transfers from their rankings. That's why even though the fact the Franklin has signed is very public, you will not see him on the list of recruits we signed on Rivals, Espn and the like.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Other schools have not been standing still and have added highly rated recruits in the spring signing period jsut as we have. We may or may not be rated better, the same, or not as highly when the spring signings are incorporated.

Just curious.

• Downvote 1

No doubt. The fact that we are discussing 4* and especially 5* recruits signals major changes in UNT basketball.

It's been a long time and maybe never that UNT is discussed with the likes of Texas, Baylor, and A&M!!! All these schools are nationally recognized in BB especially Texas and Baylor and to lesser extent A&M.

Does anyone really doubt the value of Johnny Jones any longer and what he's building here at UNT? :goodjob:

I hate to get into this again, but players like Franklin who were highly rated out of high school and then spend two years primarily on some one's bench can not currently be considered the same rank. Franklin may turn out to be a great player but getting a player that averaged 13 minutes and 2 points a game is not going to gain much national acclaim no matter what team he played for. Obviously, though Mitchell is a legit 5 star recruit, he has not signed anything with NT at this point. A formality, but I doubt he will be part of the official NT class until he does.

I hate to get into this again, but players like Franklin who were highly rated out of high school and then spend two years primarily on some one's bench can not currently be considered the same rank. Franklin may turn out to be a great player but getting a player that averaged 13 minutes and 2 points a game is not going to gain much national acclaim no matter what team he played for. Obviously, though Mitchell is a legit 5 star recruit, he has not signed anything with NT at this point. A formality, but I doubt he will be part of the official NT class until he does.

I see Franklin as a Alonzo Edwards... a lot of potential and hype of of high school but maybe just not built for the college game. I hope I am wrong... and most likely I am. UNT will def be a much better fit and we could see some improvements over his past two years. Im still holding off on Dwight Miller.

Also... I think about where our minutes will go. We cannot have a team stacked with 4 star recruits.... We need those hustle guys who are happy playing 3 or 4 minutes tops a game. That is where I see Edwards and Knox next year. And most likely Franklin, Norris, and Walton as well. When T-mich plays one has to assume that he, Williams, Hogans, Holman and Jones will get those big 30 to 35 minutes per game (which I am not a huge fan of)...

• Downvote 1

I see Franklin as a Alonzo Edwards... a lot of potential and hype of of high school but maybe just not built for the college game. I hope I am wrong... and most likely I am. UNT will def be a much better fit and we could see some improvements over his past two years. Im still holding off on Dwight Miller.

Don't just think about one end of the court. What Franklin brings is the ability to play hard nosed, possible shutdown defense aginst most 3s and 4s in this league. If he can play shut down defense and rebound, I don't care if he ever scores a point.

Plenty of scorers in this class.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I wouldn't complain if UNT was stacked with 4-star recruits...

That is the reason Jordan did not want to play with Jarion. Though granted now after what has been said I am sure most people would not want to play with them. No 4 star recruit wants to go sit on the bench and play 10 minutes a night...

• Upvote 1