What I would like to see is my alma mater's acceptance rate at 55-60%, not 75%.

According to US News and World Report,

It is selective, with an acceptance rate of 63.8 percent.

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/unt-3594

EDIT: Oh, and by the way . . .

If I had to do it over again, I'd have gone to UTSA for a year then UT.

[uTSA] is selective, with an acceptance rate of 86.9 percent.

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/utsa-10115

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 2

My parents did everything they could to force me into Abilene Christian. I resented the hell out of them for it. I came to UNT because their acceptance letter was the first to arrive. Were it not for UNT's promptness I'd have been at UT.

I was accepted at Syracuse and all ready to go. Decided to play football at a small school in San Antonio and went there instead. Hated it there, came back to Dallas not knowing what the hell I wanted to do, and ended up at a Dallas CC (Wife, girlfriend back then, may have had a little to do with that :D ). Transferred to UNT and the rest is history.

I wouldn't mind my kids at TCU, Tech, or Baylor. No to UT & SMU...

• Upvote 1

I feel like it's best to just let the kid decide where he or she wants to go.

Interesting concept...abdicate the role of parent and let the kid decide. I think I understand what you are saying, and there is some validity to it, but let me ask. Do you have any kids? If so, what age? This is no small decision, and often involves a financial decision as well. There should ALWAYS be parental input into such decisions regardless of who is "paying the freight". I am in no way advocating that a parent make the decision for the kid, but just saying that there should always be parental input into such decisions. One problem we have as a society today is that too many parents are abdicating their responsibilities as parents and letting the kid make too many decisions alone without the benefit of the experience and wisdom parents can often interject.

This is a serious decision and should not be taken lightly...parents, kids, guidance counselors, etc. should all provide input..

Not saying you are abdicating anything here, and I really don't think you mean to let the kid just say, I want to go "here" and that's all it is to the matter, but just wanted to point out the need for parental input for young people trying to make such decisions. They need help...even if they don't think they do.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1