Mccarney Brings New Approach At First Practice

Brett Vito

This guy just makes you believe again...believe "Why Not UNT"? Why not, indeed. Spring practice has started on a positive note and spirits seem to be high with the players and the fans. At the Mean Green happy Hour event last Tuesday, Coach Mac compared UNT to Boise State, and commented that he thought UNT was in a better position right now to make that sort of progress than was Boise when it started its run to success. Why not? Why the heck not UNT? I believe and I believe the Mean Green has started on its march back to wins and bowls games!

Yes, I know...Green Kool-Aid drinking going on here, but you just can't be around the program these days and feel the change that has already been made and the positive attitude of everyone involved. The Green Kool-Aid is tasting a lot sweeter these days, and I think there is very good reason for that sweet taste.

GO MEAN GREEN! Change is here...this change is very positive and the future is BRIGHT GREEN!

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

All very positive and encouraging. Except I'm not convinced on one point:

McCoy played at both defensive end and defensive tackle last year, but will be a tackle for good now that McCarney has taken over the program.

“He is not a Division I end,” McCarney said. “He will not play a snap at end this year. We watched tape of him last year and he was totally out of position at defensive end.”

:unsure:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I like coach McCarney and I hope nothing but the best for our football team, but jeez all this butt kissing really is sickening.

Thank you. What did people expect? His first practice to include a slow pace, no emotion, bored players, etc? We've had 4 years of spring football where things looked like they were turning around. I'll believe in it when I see the results.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 8

Thank you. What did people expect? His first practice to include a slow pace, no emotion, bored players, etc? We've had 4 years of spring football where things looked like they were turning around. I'll believe in it when I see the results.

Agreed. Comments like "it's refreshing having at staff that knows what their doing", "we finally look like a Division 1 football team", and "UNT is finally one of the big boys" seem a little premature. We haven't done anything yet, maybe we should slow down a bit.

Heck just a few months ago people were pissed off by the hire.

Edited by Keith7
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 7

Agreed. Comments like "it's refreshing having at staff that knows what their doing", "we finally look like a Division 1 football team", and "UNT is finally one of the big boys" seem a little premature. We haven't done anything yet, maybe we should slow down a bit.

Heck just a few months ago people were pissed off by the hire.

I have to say that I agree with you. Countless schools have hired experienced, winning head coaches and not been successful. Don't get me wrong, I really want UNT to get to a higher level. I'm just not going to shoot my expectations up sky high before we've even played a game.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Countless others have, but we have not. The experience at the head coach position alone is unheralded, let alone throughout the rest of the staff. D-1 experience in the SEC, the Big East and the Big XII, and that's just the HC. I don't remember hearing but a small minority that were not pleased with this hire. Count me as one of the excited bunch, with sky high expectations, like playing close to .500, which is absolutely possible, or even finishing with a winning record. Crazy talk I know.

We didn't get "out played" the last few yrs as much as we got "out coached", consistently.

With that said, we are not one of the Big Boys, only in coaching salary's are we relatively close, and even then not so much. We still don't look like a D-1 school, with as much admitted by Coach Dan several times, and those types of candid and honest assesments leads me to believe we might actually have a head coach that knows what he's doing. That and the fact that every hire save one has D-1 coaching experience, including both coordinators and almost every position coach, and were being wooed by other D-1 schools, leads me to believe the entire staff as well might know what they're doing.

Still not a Bog Boy, still don't look like a D-1 school, but that doesn't mean we can't compete and win in the belt, and/or play .500 football, finish with a winnning record and/or go bowling.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

I like coach McCarney and I hope nothing but the best for our football team, but jeez all this butt kissing really is sickening.

Agree. I'm sick of all this "new era" talk. Lets just wait until September and then see how things pan out. How many "new eras" are we going to have?? The Dickey era, Dodge era, Mac era.......I want a freaking "era" that is called "The Winning Era".

Edited by Daddy Dumpsalot
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Countless others have, but we have not. The experience at the head coach position alone is unheralded, let alone throughout the rest of the staff. D-1 experience in the SEC, the Big East and the Big XII, and that's just the HC. I don't remember hearing but a small minority that were not pleased with this hire. Count me as one of the excited bunch, with sky high expectations, like playing close to .500, which is absolutely possible, or even finishing with a winning record. Crazy talk I know.

We didn't get "out played" the last few yrs as much as we got "out coached", consistently.

With that said, we are not one of the Big Boys, only in coaching salary's are we relatively close, and even then not so much. We still don't look like a D-1 school, with as much admitted by Coach Dan several times, and those types of candid and honest assesments leads me to believe we might actually have a head coach that knows what he's doing. That and the fact that every hire save one has D-1 coaching experience, including both coordinators and almost every position coach, and were being wooed by other D-1 schools, leads me to believe the entire staff as well might know what they're doing.

Still not a Bog Boy, still don't look like a D-1 school, but that doesn't mean we can't compete and win in the belt, and/or play .500 football, finish with a winnning record and/or go bowling.

This is very true... in my opinion.

A few of points i'd like to add.

1. The UNT football team isn't full of a bunch of stiffs. This was proven last year when Canales took over. Add in the fact that Mac knows what he is doing, and you'll be more than alright. He has a track record of getting the absolute most out of his players, not due in the least to the fact that his players tend to LOVE the guy. Your comment about being "outcoached" rather than "outplayed" holds merit. The marked improvement shown with the same players under a different coach last year backs this up.

2. Mac is an excellent recruiter. You may not win many battles against the "big boys" right away (or even ever, depending on who you put in the big boy category). That said, your competition in the SBC isn't beating the big boys for recruits either. The thing that separates you from them is the fact that Mac has a proven track record of getting recruits when up against stiff competition. Is he gonna get guys Texas wants? No... But he DID beat teams like Iowa, Illinios, Kansas State, Missouri, Oklahoma State, and Texas Tech for players while at Iowa State. The divide in "prestige" between Iowa State and all of those programs was much greater than anything UNT is going to face in the SBC. There is no doubt in my mind that you guys are going to out recruit everybody else in conference by a WIDE margin. Who in the Belt will even be close? Couple that with a coach who knows what's going on, a well motivated team, and you have a recipie for success.

I understand everybodies "show me the improvement before I get all gaga" feelings... i had those same thoughts when he came to I-State. You guys have a winner... trust me. Mac wouldn't even be at UNT if he didn't KNOW he could win there. He'll get it done.

• Upvote 3

Agree. I'm sick of all this "new era" talk. Lets just wait until September and then see how things pan out. How many "new eras" are we going to have?? The Dickey era, Dodge era, Mac era.......I want a freaking "era" that is called "The Winning Era".

i think we need to temper our expectations this season. we have a hard schedule, and could easily be 0&5 at end of week 5. i think we will be a better team, but may not have a better record for a few years. our o-line and d-lines are just too small. give us a chance to recruit and you will see the turn-around we all expect.

• Upvote 1

i think we need to temper our expectations this season. we have a hard schedule, and could easily be 0&5 at end of week 5. i think we will be a better team, but may not have a better record for a few years. our o-line and d-lines are just too small. give us a chance to recruit and you will see the turn-around we all expect.

That school to the south went 1-11 with their only win being over Texas state in June's first year

... before they won a bowl game the next year...

The D-Line does concern me, but but we should be fine on the other side of the ball with the following returning to our O-Line:

JJohnson

Leppo

Fortenberry

Tomlinson

Feeley

These five all have a lot of experience, so I think it is just finding the right combination and letting them jell.

The D-Line does concern me, but but we should be fine on the other side of the ball with the following returning to our O-Line:

JJohnson

Leppo

Fortenberry

Tomlinson

Feeley

These five all have a lot of experience, so I think it is just finding the right combination and letting them jell.

Don't forget Adepipe. Canales really likes him.

And Leppo still is not practicing.

Edited by UNT Mean Green
  • Downvote 1

JJohnson

Leppo

Fortenberry

Tomlinson

Feeley

I too have faith that the O Line will be adequate.....Also in the mix will be Antonio Johnson and Mason Y'Barbo.

So a projected starting OL of 292, 292, 280, 300, 299 is an undersized line to you? Then a DT rotation that as of now includes:

97 Abbe, Richard DT 6-4 357 So. Lubbock, TX (Monterey HS) 90 Boutwell, Ryan DT 6-3 254 So. China Spring, TX (China Spring HS) 96 Cantly, Tevinn DT 6-4 336 Jr. Arlington, TX (Lamar HS) 94 White, Kyle DT 6-2 309 Jr. New Orleans , LA (McDonogh 35 HS)

Not including the fresh DT we all expedct to come in and compete in the Fall that registers right around 300. I see one undersized DT.

47 Akpunku, Brandon DE 6-1 240 Sr. Cedar Hill, TX (Cedar Hill HS) 44 Bellazin, Aaron DE 6-2 232 So. Everman, TX (Everman HS) 43 Crewe, Nick DE 6-4 230 Fr. The Woodlands, TX (The Woodlands HS) 49 Gaines, Frank DE 6-1 229 Jr. San Diego, CA (College of San Francisco) 67 Long, Ryan DE 6-4 240 Jr. Leonard, TX (Leonard HS) 66 McCoy, Brandon DE 6-2 265 Jr. Carrollton, TX (Creekview HS) 48 Obi, K.C. DE 6-2 240 Jr. Mission Hills, CA (Bishop Alemany HS)

DE's we might be a little light at, but even 230, our lightest, if lean and quick can be a handful at end.

I'm just no buying the whole undersized bit.

Other than Alabama, there's not one school that's gonna dwarf us next yr on either line.

We've got the talent, we lost 9 games last yr, 5 by one possesion. 6 losses by one possesion or less in '09. Talent keeps you in games, ie Dunbar, Robertson and the like. Coaching wins you close games.