Defensive Tackle Analysis

OldTimer

I'm as frustrated about DT Ronnell Wright.Rivals NT no longer shows him as committed, and he doesn't show there on Arkansas State...My thinking is that we are better off without him if he is going to act last this.

If I were in charge I would definately consider a defense using 3 DT with 2 DE's and 2 ILB

Lets take a look at our returning DT'

DT Richard Abbe, 6-4, 356, Lubbock TX Montery HS (RS Freshman..with a mean streak)

DT Tevin Cantly 6-4, 336, Arlington Lamar

DT Kyle White 6-2, 309, New Orleans McDonagh

We have 7 returning DE players including our 2 starting DE's

DE KC Obin 6-2, 240 Mission Hills CA

DE Frank Gaines 6-1, 229, San Diego CA

De/DT? LaChris Anyiam, 6-4, 292, Allen HS

DE Aaron Bellazin 6-2, 232, Everman HS

DE Brandon McCoy, 6-1, 265 Carrollton Creekview HS

DE Brandan Akpunku, 6-1, 240 Cedar Park HS

DE Ryan Boutwell, 6-3, 254, China Springs

We reportly have two freshmen DT's committed and coming to NT....they probably won't help but could gain much needed experience. Also a commit by OLB/DE? Derek Akunne, North Garland HS 5-11, 230, 4.47

DT Elela O'Kafor, Sunnyville HS he played OL as well as Nose tackle 6-5, 320

DL Rakeen Knight, Restorian Academy 6-3, 294, All Conference DL.

Here is a JC DT that NT is recruiting: Jewel Christian, Southwest Miss CC, 6-2, 290 offers from Ark St, La Tech, troy, UAB, UNT

Here is a HS DT NT is recruiting: DT Johnny Hubbard, A. Maacaeo Smith HS, 6-1-270, No offers but NT visit scheduled

Yes if there are any DT/DE we can still recruit him

I'm as frustrated about DT Ronnell Wright.Rivals NT no longer shows him as committed, and he doesn't show there on Arkansas State...My thinking is that we are better off without him if he is going to act last this.

If I were in charge I would definately consider a defense using 3 DT with 2 DE's and 2 ILB

DT Richard Abbe, 6-4, 356, Lubbock TX Montery HS (RS Freshman..with a mean streak)

We reportly have two freshmen DT's committed and coming to NT....they probably won't help but could gain much needed experience. Also a commit by OLB/DE? Derek Akunne, North Garland HS 5-11, 230, 4.47

Here is a DT that NT is recruiting: Jewel Christian, Southwest is CC, 6-2, 290 offers from Ark St, La Tech, troy, UAB, UNT

Here is a HS DT NT is recruiting: DT Johnny Hubbard, A. Maacaeo Smith HS, 6-1-270, No offers but NT visit scheduled

All is never as bad as it sometimes seems...thanks for this positive update, Charles.

GMG!

Here is a DT that NT is recruiting: Jewel Christian, Southwest is CC, 6-2, 290 offers from Ark St, La Tech, troy, UAB, UNT

FYI: Rivals never showed Wright as a UNT commit. But Scout and ESPN did....and both of them still do. And no, I don't think we'll get him. Just pointing out that Rivals never had him on our commit list.

Edited by SUMG

I'd move Anyiam to DT.

I don't expect Okafor to be moved. He has the size to be a prototypical OT and all recruiting sites list him as such.

Did I miss something regarding the high schooler Rakeem Knight? I didn't think he had verballed to us yet?

I would be a full court press on Christian and any other JUCO DT's out there worth a look, and then go after the best HS DT's still on thje board. The young man from Nacanowhere is very impressive, but I am afraid he may have grade issues. I would also go after the DT from Aledo that has us listed. This area is too thin to ignore.

If all else fails, I would like to see us throw in some 3-4 looks with Obi and AK at OLB for a big look.

Unless I am mistaken, DT is PRIORITY #1 heading into Spring ball. We had better hope that some of these current players (Abbe, Anyiam, etc.) become line-clogging, tackling machines...or we sign 2-3 at least JUCO DT's...or we are SOL.

Trying to stay positive...Coach Mac is a good DT coach and will be able to improve our stock at DT.

Football is all about the linemen.

If we don't have current players develop or sign some new studs, we aren't going to win a lot of games next year.

I agree. We can sugarcoat it all we want, but the bottom line is we need to sign some linemen on both sides of the line. I hope they are really combing the bushes, both here in Texas as well as elsewhere. This may be a class where we have to take a few risks (academically). Next year's recruiting will be a different story.

I agree. We can sugarcoat it all we want, but the bottom line is we need to sign some linemen on both sides of the line. I hope they are really combing the bushes, both here in Texas as well as elsewhere. This may be a class where we have to take a few risks (academically). Next year's recruiting will be a different story.

Recruiting always seems to take a dive after a new head coach gets hired, but the next few years should be good, as you mentioned above. With everyone putting emphasis on recruiting linemen, I expect that we won't get too many recruits on either side of the ball this year. Unless McCarney and staff can pull off a miracle or two on the recruiting front, I imagine that the staff will look at moving some guys around to see if they can develop a playmaker or two. When he was Iowa State, those lines became his strength, even though it took five years, which he won't have here. But, if he can get recruiting up over the next few years, I expect that he will have us winning again in 2012 and beyond. I am not writing off 2011, just because its the Sun Belt and anyone can feasibly win this league in any given year, but our DLine is small and our OLine needs depth. When you have both of these staring at you, you probably aren't looking at a ideal situation. It will be up to Coach Mac and staff to take some lemons and make lemonade this next fall!!

Unless I am mistaken, DT is PRIORITY #1 heading into Spring ball. We had better hope that some of these current players (Abbe, Anyiam, etc.) become line-clogging, tackling machines...or we sign 2-3 at least JUCO DT's...or we are SOL.

Trying to stay positive...Coach Mac is a good DT coach and will be able to improve our stock at DT.

Totally agree with this. And this is where we find out just how good the coaching staff is. It's up to them to accurately evaluate the talent on our current DL, and make sure that what needs to get done to develop these guys gets done. Because from the looks of the current roster, it doesn't look to me like size is the problem.

SO! If they have lingering injuries, then the staff needs to make sure that the player(s) are diligently working their rehab.

If they are too fat, the coaching staff needs to make sure that the players(s) work their weight loss program.

If they are not strong enough, the staff needs to make sure that the player(s) are in the weight room.

If they are too slow or not very quick, there are workout regiments that address those issues, and the staff needs to make sure that the players work it to the max.

If any of the players are unmotivated and/or underachievers, then the staff needs to ACCURATELY make an assessment regarding that issue. And if they cannot motivate the players, then they need to make sure that the players in question leave the program.

Edited by SilverEagle

Totally agree with this. And this is where we find out just how good the coaching staff is. It's up to them to accurately evaluate the talent on our current DL, and make sure that what needs to get done to develop these guys gets done. Because from the looks of the current roster, it doesn't look to me like size is the problem.

Size is a problem at DE, for sure, but as with DT, depth is the main concern. 2 DT's, with another redshirt freshman is alarming at best, and panic inducing at worst.

Contrast UNT's depth right now to Troy's, who have (according to their website) 10 DT's on their roster, when graduation is factored. They also have 7 out of 8 DE's returning. That's really where UNT should be. Lack of size on UNT front is in black and white when taking a look at sacks and TFL's, as UNT finished 9th and 7th in the conference, respectively. Contrast that with MTSU and Troy, who finished #1 in these categories, and not coincidentally played in bowl games this year. In fact, every bowl team in the SBC this year (including FIU) had a common theme: they were statistical league leaders in either tackles for loss, sacks, scoring defense, or forcing turnovers.

Hello linemen. You can play right now at UNT.

Looking at the 2 Deep of Oregon and Auburn at the DE position, I see the following:

Auburn

6'2"; 258 lbs.

6'3"; 261 lbs.

6'4"; 256 lbs.

6'4"; 227 lbs.

Oregon

6'3"; 232 lbs.

6'2"; 234 lbs.

6'3"; 261 lbs.

6'7"; 237lbs.

Other than height, we aren't that far off from the top two teams in terms of size. I just don't currently have the faith in Nelson to coach our young men up to their potential.

Recruiting always seems to take a dive after a new head coach gets hired, but the next few years should be good, as you mentioned above. With everyone putting emphasis on recruiting linemen, I expect that we won't get too many recruits on either side of the ball this year. Unless McCarney and staff can pull off a miracle or two on the recruiting front, I imagine that the staff will look at moving some guys around to see if they can develop a playmaker or two. When he was Iowa State, those lines became his strength, even though it took five years, which he won't have here. But, if he can get recruiting up over the next few years, I expect that he will have us winning again in 2012 and beyond. I am not writing off 2011, just because its the Sun Belt and anyone can feasibly win this league in any given year, but our DLine is small and our OLine needs depth. When you have both of these staring at you, you probably aren't looking at a ideal situation. It will be up to Coach Mac and staff to take some lemons and make lemonade this next fall!!

It was my understanding that the program needed to be moving forward headed into the new stadium. If what you say is true (and I think it is); then TD should have been fired last year so that the new coach could get his system (coaches and players) into the system to start winning in a new stadium.

Headed into a new stadium to continue losing will be unacceptable.

• Upvote 1

What about the kid from Aledo Danny Edwards? Would look better if he was 285 instead of 260 but then again he might have a couple of stars by his name if that was the case and have 6 more schools on him. College football recruiting is more excrutiating on the nerves than watching DeNiro & Walken play Russian roulette in The Deer Hunter (That's a movie reference youngsters).