Unt Cheerleaders

Travis

Here are pictures from Halli's 5th Birthday party!! :)

halliparty-2.jpg

halli-1.jpg

hallistunt-1.jpg

hallimatt-1.jpg

hallicheer-1.jpg

*Future North Texas cheerleaders :)

Go Mean Green! :D

Great pics, outstanding opportunity to make a little girl and her friends dreams come true! My hats off to everyone around these little girls for being there for them. They are precious and appear to be headed in the right direction!

Question...is scholarship money available for the Cheer Squad members just like it is for other UNT athletes?

Scholarships, stipends, book money, meal plays, etc. is something the cheerleaders have been working to get for a long time. As the first post stated, his wife was told it was in the works TEN years ago. In 2009 we were invited to a dinner with Dr. B and RV to discuss some of these things. Although we are closely associated with North Texas "Athletics", we are DIRECTLY associated with 'Marketing and Promotions'. We are strictly a spirit group, not athletes. We receive lots of support for the athletic department but any scholarship money that is available goes to football, basketball, soccer, softball and other sports. We were told for us to be able to receive scholarships, it was up to our alumni. They would have to set it up with the school and somehow make it a "Cheerleading only" scholarship.

In the past three years, we've gone from ONLY getting camp t-shirts and warm-ups... to now receiving shirts, bags, backpacks, sweat shirts AND shoes! I can't tell you how excited I was when an order form went around for shoe sizes at one of our practices. It was like an answered prayer. We think small... I'd probably have a heart attack if scholarships were ever a real possibility; I'm just thrilled we have shoes.

However, this year... we lost a coach... mid-season.

This really wouldn't have been such a bad situation if there was any sort of backup plan... but my team mates have just been put on the back burner. Understandably, they have bigger fish to fry... the football team also lost a coach so that was a little more of a priority than ours... and there is a HUGE new stadium in construction... but they fired the cheer coach and although there have been applicants, there has [still] not been a single interview... or even a call back.

Anyway- As far as I've been told... there is no scholarship money available for *spirit groups* (Dancers and mascots included). We are here, at every basketball game, athletic event, appearance because we love the program and the university. It's not easy... it's a lot of hard work... but it's lots of fun!

Thank you so much for your support :)

Edited by NoMercy224
  • Upvote 7

Really great to see this. The Cheer squad does an excellent job at the games and at many other events...not just on the UNT campus. It is something else that the Mean Green nation can be very proud of and something that should be "noticed" by more people and supported in a bigger way by the administration if the postings here are anywhere near correct regarding support. These young men and women work very hard and some very long hours to help support UNT, and they deserve and have earned some solid administrative support form the university.

Question...is scholarship money available for the Cheer Squad members just like it is for other UNT athletes?

GO MEAN GREEN. Well done!

Things may have changed but when I was a cheerleader in 1978, we recieved a lot of the same support from the AD as the athletes did, expcept scholarships! We got shoes, bags, uniforms, and letter jackets if we completed the competition and participation requirement. We even traveled with the team on some occasions. However, we didn't really have a coach. We had a sponsor and a head cheerleading team.

I would hate to go through a season opener in a new stadium and a struggling cheer situation.

Are the UNT Dancers in this same situation? I am finding this a bit hard to believe. I know for a fact that Cheer squad members at some other universities are awarded some scholarship monies and have full support from the university for what they do to help promote the university. These young men and women work extremely hard and are very talented. I need to give this some thought. How can we help? There are so very many areas that could use some support, and I am hopeful that our Alumni and fans will start looking for ways that they can provide some help and support in areas such as the very worthy cheer squad members.

You folks are GREAT, and are very much appreciated for all you do. GO MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 2

Someone who works at UNT has the answer to this question. Maybe they will share it with us. How much seed money would it take to set up a fund for the cheerleaders which could be used for scholarships and supplies? It would be best if it accumulated monthly interest and allowed for supporter donations. Any ideas?

One thing that just dawned on me that might could help this situation is for more people to join the Mean green Club and for those that are members to think about increasing your donation amount a bit...even 10% or so. A 10% increase may not get one to the next level, but it is an increase in support. Why do I say that Mean green Club support could possibly help the Cheer Squad? Well, every dollar that goes to the Mean green Club supports scholarships for our athletes, and it is one less dollar the department needs to use from its budget to support scholarships. So, if Mean Green Club donation levels were to increase enough to cover athletic scholarships (as such donations do in many D-I programs across the country), then more support could be provided the Cheer Squad from the general athletic budget. Make sense?

Just trying to find an easy way without having to set up a special fund to help the Cheer Squad out. What do you think? It would seem to be a "win-win" situation if enough funds were to flow in to the Mean green Club.

Another idea might be to simply designate donations to the UNT Foundation or Athletic Dept. for use by the Cheer Squad. These young men and women do deserve support as they work very hard to help promote the university.

GO MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 2

Someone who works at UNT has the answer to this question. Maybe they will share it with us. How much seed money would it take to set up a fund for the cheerleaders which could be used for scholarships and supplies? It would be best if it accumulated monthly interest and allowed for supporter donations. Any ideas?

I can tell you that I think you can still "buy" an endowed scholarship through the UNT Foundation for $10,000. However, a fund could be set up for an annual use for much less. We do that with the proceeds from the GMG.Com Bowl each year...it goes to the Andrew Smith memorial; scholarship fund.

OK, how about we set up a GMG.com basketball game like the football game and designate proceeds from that little event to the Cheer Squad? Might start slow and small but could develop over time? What do folks think? If so, sure, I'll help get it going. And, I'll try not to set it for the same date as graduation...I promise! :thumbsu:

• Upvote 2

Are the UNT Dancers in this same situation? I am finding this a bit hard to believe. I know for a fact that Cheer squad members at some other universities are awarded some scholarship monies and have full support from the university for what they do to help promote the university...

Everything that has been posted (except the coaching situation) is in regards to the "spirit groups" (Cheerleaders, dancers and mascots). I don't know details of the dancers funding. I do know they don't travel during football season which means they have more money in their budget for different uniforms and gameday attire... Having 6 cheerleaders travel to away football games means only one uniform (the same one for the past 5 years) and no other gameday clothing options. We enjoy traveling to away games... it's (personally) one of my favorite things. So... we choose that option. The dancers also receive a lot of benefits because they have a COACH that supports them TREMENDOUSLY. She works hard to make sure they are taken care of and have shoes, bags, backpacks, etc.

I transferred to North Texas from a small D-3 university where I received a CHEER scholarship of $1,000 a semester. I came to North Texas for better education opportunities and decided to try out for the cheerleading squad just to see if I'd make it. I did and although I miss my $2,000 a year- I've continued to try out for the past 3 years. I've made friendships that will last a lifetime and had the pleasure to be apart of SO many amazing opportunities including: traveling, competing, performing at Stars Games, being apart of this upcoming Super Bowl, NCAA tournament, not to mention all the amazing people I've met by being at athletic events :)

As much as I would love to have a scholarship, I'd love even more to have a COACH. I will not be returning to the team next year, time to focus on graduating... but I'm hoping the coaching situation is resolved SOONER than later. It's been rough going the past 5 months without receiving any word on a coach and I am so thankful to have team mates that have come together to help each other instead of jumping ship when times got hard. Tryouts are in April- that's about 3 more months for a coach to be named. Without that, we really have no idea where our team is headed.

Edited by NoMercy224
  • Upvote 2

OK, how about we set up a GMG.com basketball game like the football game and designate proceeds from that little event to the Cheer Squad? Might start slow and small but could develop over time? What do folks think? If so, sure, I'll help get it going. And, I'll try not to set it for the same date as graduation...I promise!

LOVE this idea!!! :thumbsu:

I think that would be awesome. :D

• Upvote 1

I like these ideas and I am really enjoying the support being shown for our situation. In regaurds to the Mean Green club I'm not sure how the scholarships work but I do know that we (cheerleaders) are not considered athletes. We are a spirit group so something like the basketball game or along those lines might be a lot better. Please keep the ideas coming though. Thank you all

• Upvote 1

what about a charity Wrestling Match in the Superpit? Guarantee a sellout. All right.....I am going there.......so a couple months ago there was a midget mud wrestling event at Dukes. While on any normal evening I would never attend anything a such a crap bar......I felt compelled to see what this was all about. Call it checking one off the bucket list. I swear there were at least 4k there with a "one in one out" situation at the door. Just saying....those that promoted the event must have made some cheese that night cause there was at least a $5 cover.

article-1016521-01032E8D00000578-78_468x314.jpg

Edited by All About UNT

Don't know who the PM was was sent to, but we have discussed a GMG.com basketball game before and I think it might be a good "first step" before trying to do a full-blown 3 on 3 tourney. I would be looking for 2 or 3 volunteers who would work with me to make this happen. I anticipate it being held at the UNT Rec Center for sake of convenience and on a Saturday (time and date to be determined).

The 3 or so volunteers could set the time/date...and work on the details. Now, if you are SERIOUS and willing to help...PM me. If I get at least 2 others willing to actually help, we'll get this set up...all proceeds to the Cheer Squad. I'll bet we might even get some Cheer Squad members to help publicize the thing...

If interested...you know the next step. I'm willing to help get this thing off the ground...how about you?

GO MEAN GREEN!

• Downvote 1

Don't know who the PM was was sent to, but we have discussed a GMG.com basketball game before and I think it might be a good "first step" before trying to do a full-blown 3 on 3 tourney. I would be looking for 2 or 3 volunteers who would work with me to make this happen. I anticipate it being held at the UNT Rec Center for sake of convenience and on a Saturday (time and date to be determined).

The 3 or so volunteers could set the time/date...and work on the details. Now, if you are SERIOUS and willing to help...PM me. If I get at least 2 others willing to actually help, we'll get this set up...all proceeds to the Cheer Squad. I'll bet we might even get some Cheer Squad members to help publicize the thing...

If interested...you know the next step. I'm willing to help get this thing off the ground...how about you?

GO MEAN GREEN!

KRAM1, the Alumni Association is based on scholarship contributions. Can the Alumni Association get involved in supporting the Cheerleaders and Dancers in some way? We discussed (pitched to the AD) the opportunity (in the past) to set up an alumni scholarship for athletes that wanted to remain at the univiersity and finish their degree plan after their primary athletic scholarship expired. The AD didn't bite, but maybe we can do something for the cheerleaders and dancers.

KRAM1, the Alumni Association is based on scholarship contributions. Can the Alumni Association get involved in supporting the Cheerleaders and Dancers in some way? We discussed (pitched to the AD) the opportunity (in the past) to set up an alumni scholarship for athletes that wanted to remain at the univiersity and finish their degree plan after their primary athletic scholarship expired. The AD didn't bite, but maybe we can do something for the cheerleaders and dancers.

There is always a way to do something if folks really want to make it happen. PM me with some contact info and we can discuss. I am not certain I know what you mean by "the Alumni Association is based on scholarship contributions", but we can definitely chat and see if something might come of it through the Alumni Assoc. or even some other avenue. I think you can tell I am willing to volunteer to work on this project.

GO MEAN GREEN!

There is always a way to do something if folks really want to make it happen. PM me with some contact info and we can discuss. I am not certain I know what you mean by "the Alumni Association is based on scholarship contributions", but we can definitely chat and see if something might come of it through the Alumni Assoc. or even some other avenue. I think you can tell I am willing to volunteer to work on this project.

GO MEAN GREEN!

Done! Thanks!!

GO MEAN GREEN!

Kram, sent you a PM. Thanks for getting something like this going.