Oklahoma Panhandle State (12/28/10)

CMJ

I tend to disagree on the comment about the bad bench. The starters logged 128 minutes and scored 56 points (.43 per minute played). The bench played 72 minutes and scored 27 (.37 per minuted played). In fact, both made 50% of their field goal attempts.

For the sake of bball talk, I want to throw on the table a discussion about efficiency. My opinion, and I want to hear other's, is that points per minute played is a useless stat...certainly cannot be used for or against either sets of players. So many things can change when benchers are used/lineups change. If a coach goes with a smaller, quicker lineup, how can it be disputed that they are going to score at a faster pace? Does that mean that they are a better 5 and all of them should be the starters?

If anyone is going to compare lineups, I would prefer these comparisons:

Points per possession

Defensive points allowed per possession

In other words, efficiency stats (miles per gallon) > power stats (miles per hour)

I tend to disagree on the comment about the bad bench. The starters logged 128 minutes and scored 56 points (.43 per minute played). The bench played 72 minutes and scored 27 (.37 per minuted played). In fact, both made 50% of their field goal attempts. The difference was in free throws, mostly by Thompson who hit 13.

What I don't know is how well that they play defense. I think that you need playing time to hone that skill and except for Dom Johnson they're not getting it.

They were getting it after our SHSU drubbing. I think that has been the focus of Johnny Jones since that game.

I was quite surprised by attendance last night. Pretty damn good considering the weather, the holidays, students being back home, and the Division II opponent.

I think more people are coming to see the Mean Green and not who the Mean Green are playing. Still, it was a very disinterested crowd that was going through the motions much like the team was.

• Upvote 1

I doubt the actual "rears in the seats" was anywhere near 2662 last evening, but I'll take the count. Can you spell UGLY GAME? I am super happy to have this game before conference play. Maybe the rust was showing from the brief holiday layoff, maybe the team was once again "playing down" to the opponent, but that game was U-G-L-Y!

Also really glad to see the reserves getting some quality minutes. Could be really helpful as the conference schedule plays out. Can't wait for Thursday's game to see if this team stops "sleep-walking" through games and really kicks it into high gear for the conference games. I think they can and will come out with a whole new attidude...maybe that "LSU" game attitude. I am still all "warm and fuzzy" over that big win at LSU. maybe the team was also and that "hangover" was showing a bit last evening.

Come on conference...it's going to be a great run through it by the Mean green.

See you Thursday...GO MEAN GREEN!

• Downvote 1