Question About Canales

cyrocksmypants

I'm pretty sure we do have a decent sized group of alumni in DFW area. I know you'll probably see a large following in the north. I know I'm not the only one that will be cheering for North Texas now.

As for a home and home, I'd love to see that, but with the Big XII going to the nine game conference schedule, it'd be hard to do. You never know, we've currently got one set up with San Jose State in a couple years and they very well may not even have a football team by then, so we'd need a replacement.

I'd be scared to death to play Mac though. He's very good at getting his guys up for "motivator" type games, and there'd be a lot of motivatiom for him against his old team and with one of his former assistants now head coaching his former team.

I'm pretty sure we do have a decent sized group of alumni in DFW area. I know you'll probably see a large following in the north. I know I'm not the only one that will be cheering for North Texas now.

As for a home and home, I'd love to see that, but with the Big XII going to the nine game conference schedule, it'd be hard to do. You never know, we've currently got one set up with San Jose State in a couple years and they very well may not even have a football team by then, so we'd need a replacement.

I'd be scared to death to play Mac though. He's very good at getting his guys up for "motivator" type games, and there'd be a lot of motivatiom for him against his old team and with one of his former assistants now head coaching his former team.

Imagine if we had been able to keep that Iowa State home opener while the college football world was crumbling last summer. It would have been a lot of fun with the new hire.

Why are so many of you so opposed to the new coach? McCarney was offered the job and he took it. McCarney did not make the decision, he accepted the job to NT. It appears some of you expected him to decline the position because you prefer Canales. I liked Canales and would have been happy if he had been selected. But he was not selected, McCarney was. I really question some of the opposing stuff I see posted. A 15 year old abuse allegation that was recanted and there has apparently not been a hint of an issue since then.. Lots of bs about how bad his hc record was at Iowa State, completely ignoring the fact that ISU has got to be one of the hardest gigs in America. Yes, I think winning at ISU is a hell of a lot harder than winning at NT in the Belt.

I think the majority of fans protesting the hire will come around and unite behind McCarney and NT. The truth is he is the most qualified football coach has hired since Fry and no one can agrue. He also gets a lot of support from ISU fans that seems to be ignored by many but I think it is very meaningful. A lot of you are really down on Rawlings and RV abvout this hire, either because you supported Canales or wanted a flashier hire. The facts are that no one knows if Canales, Fran, or any other coach would be a success here. I personally have big reservations about the approach Canales used working long term. As far as name coaches, I don't think anyone mentioned other than Leach would generate great interest in the NT program. I doubt if Leach had any interest and frankly that any AD would want to deal with him.

McCarney is the new coach and no one here is going to change that. I guess ranting about the hire is therapeutic but would it be more rational to give the guy a chance before you renounce him. I think the NT fan base in general was more than patient with Dickey and Dodge. Why not let McCarney at least address the crowd, hire a staff, recruit and play a few games before you condemn him.

This is an honest question, and I don't mean any offense to it, because I've re-written it about 10 times and it sounds condescending every time (I swear I don't mean it to be).

But, what makes everyone think he'll go out and get a head coaching gig elsewhere? Does he even have any other previous head coaching experience? As an outsider looking in, I see a guy that coached a handful of games and the lost majority of them (did he even win any games he coached in?). I know a lot of you like how he motivated guys and how they responded to him, but if the best thing you can put on your resume is "I lost to Kansas State by only 8 points" I just can't see why someone not associated with the program or him would look at him as leading an FBS program.