What Should The Fans Expect From Canales

UNT Mean Green

What's your point? Is it that sometimes a blind squirrel finds an acorn? Good for Briles. He's a good coach. That's one. Sumlin took over what Briles resurrected, so I'm sure not anointing him yet. He's not one year removed from HS ball as was TD, either.

I like what I've seen from Canales. He may well be the best HC in NCAA history. If he takes over UNT, I hope he wins every game and destroys the SBC.

But let's not pretend that there's not a reason programs want to hire a HC with previous HC experience. The point is--does UNT want to make this gamble with what they have at stake right now?

Not sure where you think Sumlin coached but here is his career bio:

88-90 Washington State graduate assistant

91-92 Wyoming WR coach

93-96 Minnesota WR coach

1997 Minnesota QB coach

98-00 Purdue WR coach

01-02 Texas A&M Assistant/OC

03-05 Oklahoma Special Teams/TE's coach

06-07 Oklahoma WR/Co-OC

08-present Head Coach at Houston.

I would argue also that Sumlin has improved upon what Briles started and has UH recruiting better than ever.

I am intrigue by Canales and think he should be given a fair shot at the position. All of the former HC's listed have some type of baggage they are dragging around, and there is a reason some are not currently coaching.

Here is Canales bio:

1985-86 Brigham Young University Graduate Assistant - Quarterbacks

1987-94 Snow College Offensive Coordinator - Quarterbacks C oach

1995 Pacific Quarterbacks Coach

1996-2000 University of South Florida Offensive Coordinator - Quarterbacks Coach

2001-2002 North Carolina State Quarterbacks Coach /Passing Game Coordinator

2003 New York Jets Wide Receivers Coach

2004-2006 University of Arizona Offensive Coordinator - Quarterbacks Coach

2007-2009 University of South Florida Offensive Coordinator - Quarterbacks Coach

Edited by UNTLifer

I think a general consensus from most of us is:

Let's see what coach Canales can do and compare with what the other coaching candidates have done/can do. We need a bigger sample from coach Canales. Personally, I think 6 games will be plenty.

I'd love to see him win out and put the coaching search to bed myself. For now, this is still a possibility, but with each loss, his chances will get smaller and smaller.

Has Villarreal actually told Canales he would be hired or merely just be considered among others if he gets x amount of wins? Is there an actual quote in print on what he did say? I know one very large contributor to this program who says if we go with any assistant coach from a losing football program his donation in the future will be history. Well, so what because he's only "one" but one would be concerned if that might multiply into many others. So this hire at North Texas is truly a most important one that we don't need to drop the ball this time. It could get expensive very quickly in more ways than........one.

But to see that possible quote from Rick V would end my curiosity on at least this part of UNT possibly (once again) fixin' to bust it butt with yet another 4 or 5 year mistake; and this because a few on this board think post game pep rally excitement is tantamout for making a good HFC--at least in Denton? (If Tony Robbins were on campus he would probably get some votes from this board based on his "passionate" upbeat speeches, too).

Our State Ranking For Now? Are we #10 among all the others in the state of Texas we say we like to be associated with? Should we start worrying about being #13 when TSU (SM) and UTSA join up at our level, too. In Denton of late, that is really not too far-fetched a question now is it? Our head football coach hiring record at UNT speaks for itself loud and clear, but we still have deaf ears with some for whatever the reason.

Yet.......the first time some familiar names/faces with FBS HFC background start showing up on campus for interviews most of the GMG.com tire-kicking with Canales will also become fewer and fewer--that is also a most predictable happening for a hardy handful on this board, too.

Harry's Voting Poll thread still suggests the majority on GMG.com want the name or (at least) experienced FBS HFC to take this job, but at UNT and looking at our past mistakes in hiring, the obvious too many times can become a huge obstacle in Mean Green Country.

The bio below describes what is called a journeyman football coach, folks. No, doesn't make him a bad person but a question many Big and Small Donors will ask: "Why during at least once of those numerous stops was Head Football Coach never his title?

Be careful, North Texas, you are gambling with a hire to put in a $80,000,000 brand spanking new football stadium. Hardly a time for yet another project experiment in Denton we've yet to have success with before in most of our lifetimes. :(NOTE: Thanks to UNTLifer for the bio.

Here is Canales bio: (

1996-2000 University of South Florida Offensive Coordinator - Quarterbacks Coach

2007-2009 University of South Florida Offensive Coordinator - Quarterbacks Coach

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

list]

[*]The last UNT Head Coach with ANY experience as a Head Coach at an FBS level football team was Hayden Fry.

Not quite true. Bob Tyler was HC coach at Mississippi State from '73 through '78. He had 3 wins against Fry coached NT teams. NCAA rules violations made him have to forfeit two of those wins and the entire Miss State '76 and '77 seasons. He was a "name coach" who was a disaster for the NT program. He was loose enough with rules to get the NCAA to look at a 2-9 NT team in 1981. I don't think there was a formal investigation since we got rid of Tyler.

Not quite true. Bob Tyler was HC coach at Mississippi State from '73 through '78. He had 3 wins against Fry coached NT teams. NCAA rules violations made him have to forfeit two of those wins and the entire Miss State '76 and '77 seasons. He was a "name coach" who was a disaster for the NT program. He was loose enough with rules to get the NCAA to look at a 2-9 NT team in 1981. I don't think there was a formal investigation since we got rid of Tyler.

At least they went with a big name HC instead of choosing a lowly assistant like Bill Snyder. That's always best for the program, and puts butts in seats.

At least they went with a big name HC instead of choosing a lowly assistant like Bill Snyder. That's always best for the program, and puts butts in seats.

Bob Tyler was known to have had problems before he got hired at UNT (and some on our committee knew it was the word on the street).

Tyler was also largely an unknown commodity in the state of Texas with no recruiting experience here, either. I think most want a HFC at UNT with prior FBS experience and a Texas background.

And Bill Snyder also came from a winning football program with a dynamic role model as his mentor. :rolleyes: His role model in fact is now in the College Football Hall of Fame but I won't mention his name (or Boise State) for that matter. Makes a hardy handful on this board tense to talk about such things. They are used to other things that I suppose they feel more comfortable with?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Downvote 1

Harry's Voting Poll thread still suggests the majority on GMG.com want the name or (at least) experienced FBS HFC to take this job, but at UNT and looking at our past mistakes in hiring, the obvious too many times can become a huge obstacle in Mean Green Country.

My vote in that poll is for Fran. I will stand by that vote. However, IF UNT were to win 3 of the remaining 4, I would waver on this. IF UNT were to win out, I think my mind would be changed.

Is that fair? Would you be on board with this, or would you still like to run Chico off in favor of Fran, Leavitt, etc...?

Not sure where you think Sumlin coached but here is his career bio:

88-90 Washington State graduate assistant

91-92 Wyoming WR coach

93-96 Minnesota WR coach

1997 Minnesota QB coach

98-00 Purdue WR coach

01-02 Texas A&M Assistant/OC

03-05 Oklahoma Special Teams/TE's coach

06-07 Oklahoma WR/Co-OC

08-present Head Coach at Houston.

I would argue also that Sumlin has improved upon what Briles started and has UH recruiting better than ever.

I don't disagree. Wasn't trying to downplay Sumlin's background. In fact, pointed out that he's "not one year removed from HS" like TD was. He's definitely got some experience. Canales does, as well. I'm just pointing out that the odds are not in UNT's favor when promoting or hiring guys from the OC level or below. Sumlin and Briles have been notable exceptions, and I'll give them credit here and now. My point is that UNT needs to play its best odds. It cannot afford to throw a 7 on this deal.

I stand corrected, and point noted.

My vote in that poll is for Fran. I will stand by that vote. However, IF UNT were to win 3 of the remaining 4, I would waver on this. IF UNT were to win out, I think my mind would be changed.

Is that fair? Would you be on board with this, or would you still like to run Chico off in favor of Fran, Leavitt, etc...?

Even outside GMG.coms Who To Hire Poll by Harry which is as much a mandate for a HFC with name or FBS HFC experience as what the Republicans and Independents pulled off Tuesday.

Sure, the handful (and I think looking a the poll that best describes it) on GMG.com who want another project will no longer change their minds on Canales than the majority of us in the poll would change ours as we prefer another direction that has worked before at UNT. Some of you who have obviously gotten to meet and greet with Canales have all but lost your objectivity about this hire and seem to have forgotten what has "NOT" worked in Denton for the last 3 plus decades.

It's not any of our's hire as it is: UNT officials will decide on one that meets the full meal deal criteria of which most who voted on this board still think is the coach with name ID or FBS experienced HFC. If we were going to stay at Fouts Field another 10 years then gamble with project hires till the cows come home but Fouts Field will soon become powdered concrete. We have this new football palace debuting that needs to make us really start getting serious about now climbing up the NCAA FBS totem pole--if not, then what a waste of money many will say.

But what kind of coach gets the borderline/average college football fan in and around Denton excited to give all this yet another try or chance? (They've had so many others that did not pan out for UNT and we've all seen them come and go once they saw what we had hired once again that was no different than all the others).

I think pressure from Big and Small Donors will keep Canales from getting this job and Rick V has to answer to (especially) the Big Donors (of which I'm not) and the Board of Regents with this next most crucial hire and I can't see our "always thinking ahead" UNT AD taking a professional gamble on any assistant coach from a losing program this season or the last 6 seasons for other UNT assistants (DeLoach?) who still might decide to apply.

Both Coach Frans on the same staff at UNAT is my shot in the dark choice, but I think 2 or 3 others with the right background would be fine, too. (That small group has very high numbers of votes in Harry's poll).

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Downvote 1

Even outside GMG.coms Who To Hire Poll by Harry which is as much a mandate for a HFC with name or FBS HFC experience as what the Republicans and Independents pulled off Tuesday.

Sure, the handful (and I think looking a the poll that best describes it) on GMG.com who want another project will no longer change their minds on Canales than the majority of us in the poll would change ours as we prefer another direction that has worked before at UNT. Some of you who have obviously gotten to meet and greet with Canales have all but lost your objectivity about this hire and seem to have forgotten what has "NOT" worked in Denton for the last 3 plus decades.

It's not any of our's hire as it is: UNT officials will decide on one that meets the full meal deal criteria of which most who voted on this board still think is the coach with name ID or FBS experienced HFC. If we were going to stay at Fouts Field another 10 years then gamble with project hires till the cows come home but Fouts Field will soon become powdered concrete. We have this new football palace debuting that needs to make us really start getting serious about now climbing up the NCAA FBS totem pole--if not, then what a waste of money many will say.

But what kind of coach gets the borderline/average college football fan in and around Denton excited to give all this yet another try or chance? (They've had so many others that did not pan out for UNT and we've all seen them come and go once they saw what we had hired once again that was no different than all the others).

I think pressure from Big and Small Donors will keep Canales from getting this job and Rick V has to answer to (especially) the Big Donors (of which I'm not) and the Board of Regents with this next most crucial hire and I can't see our "always thinking ahead" UNT AD taking a professional gamble on any assistant coach from a losing program this season or the last 6 seasons for other UNT assistants (DeLoach?) who still might decide to apply.

Both Coach Frans on the same staff at UNAT is my shot in the dark choice, but I think 2 or 3 others with the right background would be fine, too. (That small group has very high numbers of votes in Harry's poll).

GMG!

???

It's a simple question PMG: If Canales runs the table for the remainder of the year, would you consider him a frontrunner for HC?

harry_caray.jpg

• Upvote 1

???

It's a simple question PMG: If Canales runs the table for the remainder of the year, would you consider him a frontrunner for HC?

harry_caray.jpg

Doesn't matter what I think. We pay people pretty good money to make that decision and I think they will be smart enough to try to fill our position with one coach who will fit a very demanding list of criteria. Right now, I don't see any assistant football coach from any program fitting that job description. Again, this will not be the normal "business as usual" hire at North Texas and our leadership (not us) I think knows that.

GMG!

PS: OK, if Canales beats KSU after a run through a very weak 2010 Sun Belt Conference you put him right up there with the top 3 or 4 coaches with Name ID and FBS HFC experience. UNT cannot afford a "shoot from the hip" kind of hire because a few on this board get off on post game pep rallies. Last time I checked, such things as that never really got coaches hired at FBS schools, especially at this very important and crucial time of our own school's athletic history.

GMG!!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

PS: OK, if Canales beats KSU after a run through a very weak 2010 Sun Belt Conference you put him right up there with the top 3 or 4 coaches with Name ID and FBS HFC experience. UNT cannot afford a "shoot from the hip" kind of hire because a few on this board get off on post game pep rallies. Last time I checked, such things as that never really got coaches hired at FBS schools, especially at this very important and crucial time of our own school's athletic history.

GMG!!

OK. After twisting your arm, I think we wound up on the same page. I agree (and I think most of us here do as well) that the win over WKY does not vault coach Canales to frontrunner status. But, give him time to see what he can do here... I think he's due that consideration.

You keep on telling us though...

Well, most of my posts are simply rebuttals.

It seems other keep telling the rest of us who voted for something different by the results of Harry's Coaches Polls that we need to still go with a journeyman football coach who has yet to be HFC at any level; surely you don't think we would sit idly by and agree with that? This board is for those who have opinions. Some can't handle the opinions of others especially if its not like their own; somewhat like some in Washington who still cannot handle the glaring fact that the USA is a center to right political country--always have been.

I have one voice, one vote and an opinion; it seems the rest of you do too. I don't pretend to think that I can change the minds of those of you who want an untested, unproven hire at the FBS level as our next HFC. I actually don't try changing minds on this forum, but I also know people on campus read this board and many times I'm mostly posting my opinions for their, uh, "reading pleasure" rather than those on GMG.com; hence a reason I don't get too excited when many of you criticize my hot sports opinions.

Back to Green Acres: All many of us know is we've seen what works and has yet to work at North Texas as far as a football program which has any semblance of a national significance.

Winning the Sun Belt and still being in Sagarin's #90 on up :blink: rankings is not most of us on GMG.com's idea of a program with growing momentum and national significance. We can hire just about anybody to continue in that modus operendi--and it seems we have for about 30 years.

Sorry, Sun Belters, but that is the way many of us happen to believe, but we also once saw UNT ranked inside the Top 20 when TCU could not even smell Top 20 here in the Metroplex and didn't till they were an ex member of the Southwest Conference for that matter.

My "one" opinion seems to counter a few who want to continue yet another experiment of which Todd Dodge (in deed) was one of those. Many of us (including yours truly) pushed for TDodge, ie, an unknown college HFC commodity that was super at a Texas High School level. We were all wrong and freely admit we were wrong. After all, can't you see all our Sylvestor the Cat "we goofed up with our choice" expressions? :rolleyes: .

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

We all want to use Boise State as an example to follow when turning our program around. Boise hired Dirk Koetter in 1998 to begin the turnaround. Koetter's job prior to being HC at BSU? OC at Oregon.

Houston hired Art Briles, RB coach for TTech, to start their turn around.

Kansas State hired Bill Snyder, Iowa OC, to revive their program.

These are three very good examples of programs that were perenial losers that didn't go after a "name" coach with previous HC experience to lead them from the darkness. They hired the best coach they thought they could and put resources behind changing the culture of the program.

• Upvote 2

We all want to use Boise State as an example to follow when turning our program around. Boise hired Dirk Koetter in 1998 to begin the turnaround. Koetter's job prior to being HC at BSU? OC at Oregon.

These are three very good examples of programs that were perenial losers that didn't go after a "name" coach with previous HC experience to lead them from the darkness. They hired the best coach they thought they could and put resources behind changing the culture of the program.

And so to be very clear for PMG's sake: UNTLifer, are you saying we need to hire coach Canales right now based off of his win against WKY? (I doubt you are, but if so, you would be 1 of only a handful of people who would say this, and that handfull includes Chico's family members/friends)

What's your point? Is it that sometimes a blind squirrel finds an acorn? Good for Briles. He's a good coach. That's one. Sumlin took over what Briles resurrected, so I'm sure not anointing him yet. He's not one year removed from HS ball as was TD, either.

I like what I've seen from Canales. He may well be the best HC in NCAA history. If he takes over UNT, I hope he wins every game and destroys the SBC.

But let's not pretend that there's not a reason programs want to hire a HC with previous HC experience. The point is--does UNT want to make this gamble with what they have at stake right now?

Good points! Yet something else to think about. Isn't pretty much anyone UNT hires a gamble (other than a current top 25 HC)? If UNT hires a former HC; one could argue why isn't he a HC somewhere else right now? Stating the obvious that they failed as a HC or they would still be employed as such. Additionally, hiring a current OC or DC would could also be perceived as a gamble. Either way you slice it; any coach (former HC or never been a HC) is a gamble.

Just saying...

• Upvote 2

Actually, the question probably needs to be rephrased. RV has said he wants the new coach in place before the K-State game, so Coach Canales' "audition" is only a 4 total game tryout, tops, including WKU.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

It seems other keep telling the rest of us who voted for something different by the results of Harry's Coaches Polls that we need to still go with a journeyman football coach who has yet to be HFC at any level; surely you don't think we would sit idly by and agree with that? This board is for those who have opinions. Some can't handle the opinions of others especially if its not like their own; somewhat like some in Washington who still cannot handle the glaring fact that the USA is a center to right political country--always have been.

Plumm, put down the bullhorn.

Nobody is saying to give Mike Canales the permanent head coaching job for beating WKU. They are simply saying don't exclude him until he has shown not to be a viable candidate.

Oh, and to the point in bold, that journeyman coach has now been a head coach at the FBS(I-A) level and has a record of 1-0.

Go Mean Green.

• Upvote 1

Has Villarreal actually told Canales he would be hired or merely just be considered among others if he gets x amount of wins? Is there an actual quote in print on what he did say? I know one very large contributor to this program who says if we go with any assistant coach from a losing football program his donation in the future will be history. Well, so what because he's only "one" but one would be concerned if that might multiply into many others. So this hire at North Texas is truly a most important one that we don't need to drop the ball this time. It could get expensive very quickly in more ways than........one.

But to see that possible quote from Rick V would end my curiosity on at least this part of UNT possibly (once again) fixin' to bust it butt with yet another 4 or 5 year mistake; and this because a few on this board think post game pep rally excitement is tantamout for making a good HFC--at least in Denton? (If Tony Robbins were on campus he would probably get some votes from this board based on his "passionate" upbeat speeches, too).

Our State Ranking For Now? Are we #10 among all the others in the state of Texas we say we like to be associated with? Should we start worrying about being #13 when TSU (SM) and UTSA join up at our level, too. In Denton of late, that is really not too far-fetched a question now is it? Our head football coach hiring record at UNT speaks for itself loud and clear, but we still have deaf ears with some for whatever the reason.

Yet.......the first time some familiar names/faces with FBS HFC background start showing up on campus for interviews most of the GMG.com tire-kicking with Canales will also become fewer and fewer--that is also a most predictable happening for a hardy handful on this board, too.

The bio below describes what is called a journeyman football coach, folks. No, doesn't make him a bad person but a question many Big and Small Donors will ask: "Why during at least once of those numerous stops was Head Football Coach never his title?

Be careful, North Texas, you are gambling with a hire to put in a $80,000,000 brand spanking new football stadium. Hardly a time for yet another project experiment in Denton we've yet to have success with before in most of our lifetimes. :(NOTE: Thanks to UNTLifer for the bio.

Here is Canales bio: (

all college coaches resumes look like they are running from the law. i think he has a solid background.

Perennial losing programs? Well, 2 of them did not come from that kind of program.

I don't think Snyder who worked with Fry at UNT and Iowa came from a losing program nor did Art Briles when he was at TTech and...

...those 2 guys all had state of Texas recruiting on their resume's and I don't think that Canales does looking at his bio as posted today by UNTLifer I believe it was. In fact, has Canales even been in our state 1 year yet? Even one of our best Mean Green football players from the past posted "how do we know this guy can even recruit?" Beggin' a few pardons here, but wouldn't that be something needed on a resume' that our next Mean Green HFC must have had success (and that success preferably in the Lone Star State)?

If we were to buck even the trend on Harry's Coach Poll which still shows a large majority on this forum who do not want a project or up and coming assistant but still that is what happened, I'm glad it will be none of us whose heads will be on the chopping block by hiring an assistant coach from a losing program in (arguably) the worst or next to worst FBS conference in the NCAA.

We can do better and I'll bet we do this time around since we didn't with TDodge and no university doesn't want to screw up their football program (even at a North Texas where expectations always seem "Sun Belt'esque low) with 2 screw up hires in a row.

Again, this is the one hiring of a North Texas HFC we cannot afford any more projects like TDodge, DD (in a newly thrown together weak football conference), Matt Simon, Dennis Parker, etc, etc, etc. They coached at North Texas when most of our alums seemed to mostly have low expectations thinking "we North Texas and we most proud but po'" attitude knowing as long as we had a track stadium with the poorest sight lines in the NCAA, we could just keep on going business as usual with our hires--and we did. Did anyone really ever seriously think that CUSA would be interested in us with Fouts Field as our football venue?

With our new stadium debut less than 12 months away the stakes have suddenly become much higher than we have been used to having at UNT. More of the UNT community will simply want more than what we've had once they see this stadium. The new stadium will create even more expectations with people of power like.....the UNT Board of Regents who are the ones who are actually running the show in Denton and who our top UNT leaders still have to report to with a (hopeful) good report of things to come.

We just have to act like we are in the real business world with this hire. Hires like we have mostly seen at North Texas would close down most businesses in the world most of us have made our livings in. Just my .02

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Downvote 2