Sorry if this has already been discussed.

A Federal Judge recently ruled that the National Day of Prayer is unconsitutional. Said that it might influence children to pray to God and that it did no secular good.

The ACLJ is appealing the ruling.

I guess the president meant it when he said we were not a Christian Nation. One way or the other.

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 10

Sorry if this has already been discussed.

Never apologize.

A Federal Judge recently ruled that the National Day of Prayer is unconsitutional. Said that it might influence children to pray to God and that it did no secular good.

Agreed.

The ACLJ is appealing the ruling.

With what did they replace the union? Juniper? You know you make gin from juniper berries. I like gin.

I guess the president meant it when he said we were not a Christian Nation. One way or the other.

We're not. Both ways.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 6

A quick search pulls ACLJ as the "American Center for Law & Justice". They are a religious rights watchdog.

What's the harm with having this as a law? $0 tax dollars are spent on it. It's not a law that is enforced in any kind of way... If you don't believe in God, then don't pray. How is it different than any other normal day?

And for those that do believe, they're praying for the strength of the country in which you live in. What's wrong with that?

Also, I don't believe it specifies any certain religion, so there's no favoritism. If it were the "National Christian Prayer Day", or the "National Buddhist Meditation Day", then I could understand.

Sadly, thousands, if not millions of dollars were spent on this useless ruling that could have been redirected elsewhere. If the "National Day of Prayer" (the Government version) gets struck down and removed, then the religious organizations of the US will probably continue it as a grassroots movement, and nothing will have changed.

I think there are plenty of other issues that the courts could be tackling instead of this.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

A quick search pulls ACLJ as the "American Center for Law & Justice". They are a religious rights watchdog.

What's the harm with having this as a law? $0 tax dollars are spent on it. It's not a law that is enforced in any kind of way... If you don't believe in God, then don't pray. How is it different than any other normal day?

And for those that do believe, they're praying for the strength of the country in which you live in. What's wrong with that?

Also, I don't believe it specifies any certain religion, so there's no favoritism. If it were the "National Christian Prayer Day", or the "National Buddhist Meditation Day", then I could understand.

Sadly, thousands, if not millions of dollars were spent on this useless ruling that could have been redirected elsewhere. If the "National Day of Prayer" (the Government version) gets struck down and removed, then the religious organizations of the US will probably continue it as a grassroots movement, and nothing will have changed.

I think there are plenty of other issues that the courts could be tackling instead of this.

Sadly, I can only give you one +1.

• Downvote 1

Riiiiiiiggghhhhttt

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

For those who have not taken the time to read the 1st amendment lately.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Whats sad is that most people don't know the truth about the Myth of Separation of Church and State. To the Founder Fathers "Religion" meant Christian Denomination. Read their tracts. Of course, we haven't taught the truth in our Public Schools for at least two generations.

Not recognizing something as wrong for several generations gives it a superficial appearance of being right and allows a noisy clamor to rise in its defense.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 6

If you don't think national day of prayer has anything to do with religion then speaking to you is a lost cause.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Says the man who doesn't think national day of prayer has nothing to do with religion. Yeah you're right. Typical.

No, it has nothing to do with the 1st amendment, which was the argument. You make it sound like it is illegal for the government to even mention religion, which is just completely wrong.

Pay to the devil. Pray to Allah. Pray to Budha, Pray to the North Texas football God.

No, it has nothing to do with the 1st amendment, which was the argument. You make it sound like it is illegal for the government to even mention religion, which is just completely wrong.

Pay to the devil. Pray to Allah. Pray to Budha, Pray to the North Texas football God.

You hurt my head.

The goverment should not legally be doing anything to support the supernatural. It shouldn't have a national day of wishing good luck to those who love college football. It is absurd.

• Downvote 1

You hurt my head.

The goverment should not legally be doing anything to support the supernatural. It shouldn't have a national day of wishing good luck to those who love college football. It is absurd.

Again, it doesn't matter what you think the government should or shouldn't do. You don't get to make that decision for everybody. Neither do I. This argument was about the constitution, and the constitution absolutely does not prohibit a national day of prayer. The constitution prohibits the establishment of a national religion.

Funny how no one mentions the second pat of the 1st amendment, the part that says government will not interfer with the free practice of religion.