Attendance

GrayEagle

I was very disappointed at last week's attendance. We had to get SMU's attendance counter to top 17,000. I really don't understand why there weren't well over 20K with the perfect weather and coming off of a win. Louisiana's our closest conference member and about as near a conference rival as we have; at least we've played them the most (I didn't check it out maybe we've played Arky State more). Both SMU and TCU were out of town and we shouldn't have that many Texas or OU fans that attend our games.

I realize that losing's a bummer but we should've won that one and at the least our offense is more entertaining than many of those in the past.

The message has been delivered that this is likely this coaching staff's swan song so we don't have to stay away to deliver that message. So, at this point, we are destroying the chances of getting a better coach or a better conference by staying away. What coach worth his salt would want to come to a school that barely meets the minimum requirement? Attendance was also a major factor in UTEP's admittance to CUSA over North Texas. They had it...we didn't.

If you ever had it in your heart to attend a North Texas game now is the time. According to the Cajun Raider we are averaging just over 20,000 after the first two games. We need to hold that average as nearly and the Fouts finale with K-State should give us a good boost toward opening the new stadium. It may also get a conference's attention as well should there be an opening. There's no guarantee that it will but I can almost assure puny attendance the rest of this year will assure us that it won't.

So, enjoy the tailgating and enjoy the games. If, somehow, this team catches lightning in a bottle and wins (or nearly wins) out you'll be glad that you did.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Jack is right. We come to the games for our team, our program and our school. If we want to move up and be more respected, we better start showing up on a regular basis.....in large numbers.

If you can't support YOUR SCHOOL, then don't complain that (with apologies to Rodney Dangerfield) "we don't get no respect".

As I said in another thread, we are not disrespected for our win/loss record, we are disrespected for our "culture"....which is the culture of apathy.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 2

Jack is right. We come to the games for our team, our program and our school. If we want to be move up and be more respected, we better start showing up on a regular basis.....in large numbers.

If you can't support YOUR SCHOOl, then don't complain that (with appologies to Rodney Dangerfield) "we don't get no respect".

As I said in another thread, we are not disrespected for our win/loss record, we are disrespected for our "culture"....which is the culture of apathy.

well said, i'm sad to say.

its always been a problem for us, smu or tcu ,to draw well at home up against texas/ou weekend.while we may not attend cotton bowl classic, some of us have guests that make it difficult to attend. last year our guests went to texas/ ou game, and then we all went to unt evening game. with time change moving classic back, we couldn't make it work this year. just saying.....

Loss fatigue is why attendace is starting to decline.

While we all should go because it's our university but it is tough going to games week in/week out to watch us lose. I've seen too many blown leads and close calls the past 3.5 years. The games just aren't any fun to sit through. If we keep Dodge for another year, it'll take some of the coolness out of opening the new stadium if I have to sit through more misery.

i'll be there because i've got beer to drink and a great place to enjoy it! there are few things that i enjoy more than tailgating at a north texas game! sure, the team isn't doing well right now, but the atmosphere is great and i love it!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

i'll be there because i've got beer to drink and a great place to enjoy it! there are few things that i enjoy more than tailgating at a north texas game! sure, the team isn't doing well right now, but the atmosphere is great and i love it!

Amen to that, Sir. Appreciate your support for the Mean Green! The Mean Green nation need more members with that attitude.