Kickoff

TWISMUNT

There is a lot I have thought and said over last night and most of it is already on other threads. Fact is it's another loss, we all hate it and we need hope it's the last time. The offense, defense and definitely special teams needs to get better.

This is an idea for kickoff. You know, that simple part of the game where the ball is kicked off a tee and 11 guys try to cover a return man with 10 blockers. Problem is we can't keep it in bounds and in the college game that puts your much improved defense in a bind.

So here is the idea: We have a hair under 40,000 students enrolled right now, I have to believe that one of them can get the job done. Male or female, old or young, just be able to kick the ball off of a tee 60 or so yards and keep it in. Put an ad in the paper or do tryouts or something. Tech did it for a placekicker recently and it kind of worked out.

There is a kicker on the team with one of the strongest legs that I've ever seen on a high school team. He originally got my attention when he was a sophomore at Richardson Berkner High School. He had a high percentage of touchbacks on kickoffs. With a pretty stiff breeze at his back he has kicked it through the uprights on the opening kickoff of a playoff game.

Why he is not handling kickoffs is a mystery to me. Even if his accuracy is questioned his leg strength is not. Kickoffs are not a matter of improper timing, snapping or holding. It's something that he's done hundreds of times. He was the fourth highest-rated kicker in the state as a senior. If I were the coach he would be kicking off until he proved to me that he couldn't do it.

Here's an idea for kickoffs:

With 23K fans in the stadium, I'm sure if all of the fans blew as hard as we could, between everyone on the student side and the alumni side, we could get the ball to stay in the middle of the field. Although I think the Green Brigade might throw the balance a little... We'll tell them to blow at mezzo-piano strength.