Kntu's Unt Football Coverage

Green Jackal

The stories the NT Daily writes is for print in the newspaper, only.

Work out a deal with them. You go to the same school. Those print journalists need broadcast experience because print is dying.

I was Daily editor back in the '80s. I don't know how the departments are today, but back then it would have been useful to collaborate.

Edited by rcade

Folks, it appears that one kid missed reporting during one sportscast, one day. He was following instructions that now are going to be modified.

I don't think KNTU tries "rip and read" sportscasts about the Mean Green as there just isn't enough on the wires about the team to do that! Re-writing the same story is boring, but a good exercise. I wish the newscasters at commercial stations would do that a little more.

I think the basic issue is solved.

Cooperation between the Daily and KNTU would be good training for all involved as news sharing is the becoming more and more common on newspapers cut their staffs.

It makes perfect sense. I think you are trying to say, "I don't think that's the way it should be done." That's fine, but as the sports director it is my job to teach the volunteer students that if it is possible to get word from a coach and player, they need to go out, retrieve it and bring it back to the studio for editing. Once edited, they can use it on the air. However, if they don't abide by my rule, their story doesn't make the cut.

It's not like we missed NT football the entire week. Sometimes there are stories that need to be mentioned more, sometimes not. Maybe this was the case, maybe it wasn't. Nonetheless, I don't know how to stress anymore to the community that we have constant coverage of the team. If the community cannot see that, I suggest visiting kntu.com and listening to 88.1 FM a little bit more.

you are flat wrong here. also, you are a paid student too....so let's not act like you are a professor. Audio or no you should ALWAYS lead with NT or a big local story. I have been in your position and understand how stuff rolls up there, not having audio is no excuse to not have NT football leading Late Edition Sports.

Edited by Green Guy Bass
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

We could do that, but I would prefer not to. I have already had a meeting with our volunteer staff to increase the web content on kntu.com. Everyone on the staff is very busy with school and work, but they are still getting their rough drafts/pre-articles in to me as we speak. Our first student story was on the web page yesterday and as of 9:42 a.m. this morning, it is still on the home page.

I am not trying to bust anyone's balls, but I went to kntu.com and clicked on huge graphic that says:

"UNT SPORTS ARE ON 88.1 fm the one | KNTU -- click here for schedules"

..and it pointed to the root of http://www.meangreensports.com/ which has no schedules for the radio.

• Upvote 1

I am not trying to bust anyone's balls, but I went to kntu.com and clicked on huge graphic that says:

"UNT SPORTS ARE ON 88.1 fm the one | KNTU -- click here for schedules"

..and it pointed to the root of http://www.meangreensports.com/ which has no schedules for the radio.

If you go to KNTU.com, the title of the center column is "Top Story" and a picture from the game. The picture is from meangreensports.com but the article "The North Texas Mean Green football team had a rough time Saturday" is from KNTU. Further down there are two story links about the game with stories about the volleyball team. Sports appears to be focused on NT teams.

If you go to KNTU.com, the title of the center column is "Top Story" and a picture from the game. The picture is from meangreensports.com but the article "The North Texas Mean Green football team had a rough time Saturday" is from KNTU. Further down there are two story links about the game with stories about the volleyball team. Sports appears to be focused on NT teams.

I was looking for the schedule of sports talk, like the image says "Click here for schedule".

• Upvote 1

To me, someone who is not in the media and has never studied broadcast journalism, here is what I see, which I believe reflects a STRONG majority. UNT sports should always come first when sports is reported--no excuses at all. If we are talking about campus stations in Ft. Worth, College Station, Lubbock, Stillwater, El Paso, or Houston, I can almost guarantee that those schools are reproting about their teams first. I don't care about protocol, I don't care about your "vision" for reporting on sports, and I don't care about audio/no audio. I want reports and if it needs to even be commentary from the students that are on air, that is fine. Just lead with UNT sports. This is just as big of a reason why apathy runs so deep at our school. The culture is just so rotten here, even with the improvement in attendance. I really wonder if that culture can be changed in Denton ever. In all seriousness, are their other places like UNT and Denton where the culture has changed as drastically as we need it to change here?

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 1