Mean Joe Green Article

Coach Andy Mac

what about taking on his nickname as our mascot? I think 90% of the nation that has heard of us believes this notion as well.

It is the opposite..

"He got his nickname when the Pittsburgh fan base mistakenly assumed that the North Texas team nickname of 'Mean Green' was Joe Greene's nickname; however, Coach Rust's wife wanted to give a nickname to the team's outstanding defense. Since green is the school's main color, she gave the defense the name 'Mean Green'." -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Greene_(American_football)

When I was a student I had always heard that our talon hand sign ("The Iron Claw") was given to us as a "gift" by Fritz Von Erich, because his sons had gone to UNT and played sports.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Von_Erich_Family#Fritz_Von_Erich

I really liked that story, though it had no legs. I like it so much that I still tell people it.. Though most people outside the North Texas area have a hard time remembering the famous Von Erichs.

Edited by SteaminWillieBeamin

When I was a student I had always heard that our talon hand sign ("The Iron Claw") was given to us as a "gift" by Fritz Von Erich, because his sons had gone to UNT and played sports.

I really liked that story, though it had no legs. I like it so much that I still tell people it.. Though most people outside the North Texas area have a hard time remembering the famous Von Erichs.

Actually it was NOT what we now use as a Talon hand sign but a whole open hand. Fritz had used a whole hand to grab an opponents head and squeeze till they passed out. (Yeah, I know that is not possible but this is wrestling we're talking about.) Fritz was long retired from the ring, but his sons wrestled in the late 70s and early 80s and at least one played football at NT. There was a pep rally in 77 or 78 (I forget which) on the lawn on the east side of the east tower of Kerr Hall and before Hayden talked, Fritz got up and excited the crowd. He showed us his "claw" grip, which actually is quite a bit easier than the Eagle talon since it's just a full open hand, and told the crowd "I"m giving this to you." Or something to that effect - I had had more than one beer before the pep rally. I was on the crew broadcasting the pep rally on KNTU and was paying more attention to keeping him from distorting as he would shout into the mike followed by almost whispering. Hayden followed him at the mike. I never got the official Talon gesture down while in school as I just kept going back to Fritz's full hand version.

• Upvote 2

Actually it was NOT what we now use as a Talon hand sign but a whole open hand. Fritz had used a whole hand to grab an opponents head and squeeze till they passed out. (Yeah, I know that is not possible but this is wrestling we're talking about.) Fritz was long retired from the ring, but his sons wrestled in the late 70s and early 80s and at least one played football at NT. There was a pep rally in 77 or 78 (I forget which) on the lawn on the east side of the east tower of Kerr Hall and before Hayden talked, Fritz got up and excited the crowd. He showed us his "claw" grip, which actually is quite a bit easier than the Eagle talon since it's just a full open hand, and told the crowd "I"m giving this to you." Or something to that effect - I had had more than one beer before the pep rally. I was on the crew broadcasting the pep rally on KNTU and was paying more attention to keeping him from distorting as he would shout into the mike followed by almost whispering. Hayden followed him at the mike. I never got the official Talon gesture down while in school as I just kept going back to Fritz's full hand version.

i like this

It is the opposite..

"He got his nickname when the Pittsburgh fan base mistakenly assumed that the North Texas team nickname of 'Mean Green' was Joe Greene's nickname; however, Coach Rust's wife wanted to give a nickname to the team's outstanding defense. Since green is the school's main color, she gave the defense the name 'Mean Green'." -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Greene_(American_football)

Funny you mention the Iron Claw. I am actually friends with Kevin (haven't seen him in 10+ yrs) and was friends with his daughter back in high school. I never knew about Fritz until I toured his little house that he kept on Kevin's property in Lake Dallas. It was there that I saw the pics of the "Iron Claw" but I never knew that they people purported that we got our claw from him...kinda makes sense though.