Game To Replace Tennessee

Harry

If I read the story right - and that is a big "if" - it says that Montana will take our game at Tennessee but says nothing about a FBS team coming to Denton. We could still open with Houston and not play a game prior to that one. It might mean playing twelve straight games with no open date, however. That would be tough, but it could be done.

He says it is Montana in the title, but doesn't talk about that game in the main article?

I don't like playing a FCS team, especially in the opening game of the new stadium. Don't like it at all.

Montana will be playing @ Tenn , not UNT.

I don't mind playing a FCS team , but they better be sure we win that game. Give me Texas Southern or a PV a&M. We could get off on the right foot and all be treated to a great half time show. Just don't bring Montana to Denton , that game might get ugly

• Upvote 2

He says it is Montana in the title, but doesn't talk about that game in the main article?

I don't like playing a FCS team, especially in the opening game of the new stadium. Don't like it at all.

(Montana @ Tenn for $500K, see update at bottom of article)

http://billingsgazette.com/sports/college/blogs/catgrizinsider/article_3f96f6f8-961d-11df-94bd-001cc4c002e0.html

As for UNT's opening weekend, this opens up a lot of possibilities. With Houston coming the second week we could get two sellout weekends in the new stadium. Vito and RV hinted a warmup game may be wanted (think 1-AA). I'd prefer a NMSU, Idaho or some such victim instead.

Montana will be playing @ Tenn , not UNT.

I don't mind playing a FCS team , but they better be sure we win that game. Give me Texas Southern or a PV a&M. We could get off on the right foot and all be treated to a great half time show. Just don't bring Montana to Denton , that game might get ugly

That makes sense. I should have clicked the linked story.

That is my biggest fear in playing a FCS team right now. I don't think we are in that position to take that risk. Plus, especially for the 1st game in the new stadium, I want a team that we can get excited about playing and beating.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

(Montana @ Tenn for $500K, see update at bottom of article)

http://billingsgazette.com/sports/college/blogs/catgrizinsider/article_3f96f6f8-961d-11df-94bd-001cc4c002e0.html

As for UNT's opening weekend, this opens up a lot of possibilities. With Houston coming the second week we could get two sellout weekends in the new stadium. Vito and RV hinted a warmup game may be wanted (think 1-AA). I'd prefer a NMSU, Idaho or some such victim instead.

NMSU plays Ohio on 9/3

NOW ... you can call me MAC, or you can call me WAC, or you can call me MWC. But you doesn't have to call me FCS!!

REALLY! We must open with a team we could beat that would give us some props from the public. The headlines would read "UNT Blows First Game In New Stadium To Spunky Little (insert FCS team here)" if we schedule an FCS team and lose. Conversely, the headlines would read "UNT Inflicts Loss On (insert FCS team here) As Expected; REAL Test To Come Next Week" if we win. WAY TOO MUCH DOWNSIDE. Until our program is reestablished and recognized as such around the country, we should be playing 100% FBS teams.

There are beatable FBS teams out there that people have heard of...find one.

JMO.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

NOW ... you can call me MAC, or you can call me WAC, or you can call me MWC. But you doesn't have to call me FCS!!

REALLY! We must open with a team we could beat that would give us some props from the public. The headlines would read "UNT Blows First Game In New Stadium To Spunky Little (insert FCS team here)" if we schedule an FCS team and lose. Conversely, the headlines would read "UNT Inflicts Loss On (insert FCS team here) As Expected; REAL Test To Come Next Week" if we win. WAY TOO MUCH DOWNSIDE. Until our program is reestablished and recognized as such around the country, we should be playing 100% FBS teams.

JMO.

If we're afraid to play a FCS team, we need to fold our tent and slip out of town at midnight. Geeze :ph34r:

• Upvote 6

JMO.

I agree. We need to play an FBS school. Here are my top 3 choices:

Eastern Michigan- Battle of the Eagles (EMU is worse then us)

Tulane- King of the Green (always a bad team)

Or we can see about moving our Western Kentucky game to the start of the season, and play an ooc game later in the schedule.

I agree. We need to play an FBS school. Here are my top 3 choices:

Eastern Michigan- Battle of the Eagles (EMU is worse then us)

Tulane- King of the Green (always a bad team)

Or we can see about moving our Western Kentucky game to the start of the season, and play an ooc game later in the schedule.

I like Eastern Michigan best of the three. I definitely don't want to move WKY up sooner. Having a (potentially) weaker opponent late in the season might be needed. Also, they are a conference opponent!

I wish we could play Tulane, but I don't see them agreeing to play us. They actually have more of the "we are a superior private and don't associate with those public schools" attitude than SMU.

If we have to play an FCS program, there is only one logical school to schedule for opening a new UNT football stadium (and they have Sept 3, 2011 available):

http://www.fightingsioux.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=58644&SPID=6399&DB_OEM_ID=13500&Q_SEASON=2011

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 1

Not scared to play an FCS school. There just isn't an up side to it. If we beat them, like we should, no one will care, and it won't count toward bowl eligibility. If by some crazy circumstance we were to lose, everyone would report it.

I can't see us scheduling an FCS team when there are FBS teams out there like Eastern Michigan, and Tulane with Sept. 3rd still open.