La Tech To Hold Tuesday Press Conference

gangrene

LA Tech to Hold Tuesday Press Conference

Fans invited to Jarrell Room of Charles Wyly Athletic Center at 11:30 a.m.

June 28, 2010

Louisiana Tech will hold a press conference Tuesday at 11:30 a.m. in the Jarrell Room of the Charles Wyly Athletic Center to unveil a master facility plan and capital campaign for its collegiate athletics department.

Tech President Dr. Dan Reneau, Athletics Director Bruce Van De Velde and Leadership Team Chairman Steve Davison will be addressing the media about the project. Renderings of the master facility plan will also be included in the media packets which will be made available to all media covering the event.

A mult-box will be available at the press conference for TV stations.

Louisiana Tech officials will not comment on the event prior to tomorrow's event. For any questions regarding logistics of the press conference, call Associate AD Malcolm Butler at 318-614-4513.

Louisiana Tech fans are invited to attend the event.

LA Tech to Hold Tuesday Press Conference

Fans invited to Jarrell Room of Charles Wyly Athletic Center at 11:30 a.m.

June 28, 2010

Louisiana Tech will hold a press conference Tuesday at 11:30 a.m. in the Jarrell Room of the Charles Wyly Athletic Center to unveil a master facility plan and capital campaign for its collegiate athletics department.

Tech President Dr. Dan Reneau, Athletics Director Bruce Van De Velde and Leadership Team Chairman Steve Davison will be addressing the media about the project. Renderings of the master facility plan will also be included in the media packets which will be made available to all media covering the event.

A mult-box will be available at the press conference for TV stations.

Louisiana Tech officials will not comment on the event prior to tomorrow's event. For any questions regarding logistics of the press conference, call Associate AD Malcolm Butler at 318-614-4513.

Louisiana Tech fans are invited to attend the event.

Good to hear, but if I was a Tech fan, I would be disappointed that it took this long to come up with this plan. I wish them well.

Van De Velde is a good adminstrator. He cut his teeth at Kansas State during their stunning turnaround in the 90s. He then worked for Joe Castiglione at Missouri and Oklahoma.

He's a money guy, not a former athlete or coach. That's more of a trend these days with schools that recognize college athletics is a business.

Hiring Sonny Dykes from Arizona was a good move on his part a well. I expect La Tech to do well this year and for the next few years as well. Dykes has recruited coast to coast, and Van De Velde will deliver money for better facilities.

With those two leading the way, it wouldn't shock me if La Tech advances the way TCU has over the past decade.

Van De Velde is a good adminstrator. He cut his teeth at Kansas State during their stunning turnaround in the 90s. He then worked for Joe Castiglione at Missouri and Oklahoma.

He's a money guy, not a former athlete or coach.

I think almost every school in the country needs a money guy now and that includes a number of the teams in BCS AQ conferences. What an individual school does for itself, both on the field and in the board room, has a far more lasting effect than conference affiliation.

My observation is that too many of the "money guys" hired these days don't understand sports.

When you get one who knows both, you can go to town.

I agree with this. I think it's unfortunate that it all comes down to dollars now, but.... If it's going to be that way, you may as well have someone in there who knows how to: (1) find it and get it, and (2) manage it properly.

It's kind of a high wire act now, as the recent Big 12 falderal proved.

• Downvote 1

Why should we be pissed?

$20MM project with over $9MM already in the bank that will totally change the look and feel of Tech Athletics and it is all privately funded - no taxpayer dollars and no student fees....

Actually I think it looks like a nice facility. It's going to make a nice addition you your stadium.

Why should we be pissed?

$20MM project with over $9MM already in the bank that will totally change the look and feel of Tech Athletics and it is all privately funded - no taxpayer dollars and no student fees....

That's a stretch. Move it out of Ruston and then maybe...

It would also look better in the SunBelt. :P

• Upvote 2