Big 12 And The Baylor Dynamic

I apologize if this idea has already been posted, but I've been doing a little reading on all this re-shuffling and can't help but think that we might be able to do slightly better than this revised Sunbelt/WAC/CUSA talk.

Let's make these (big) assumptions:

1. At the end of the day Texas A&M decides to go PAC-10 with Texas.

2. Missouri does not get an invite to the Big 10.

3. All further Big 10 and SEC expansion goes East.

That leaves 5 schools: Kansas, K-State, Missouri, Iowa State, and Baylor. That is enough teams to accept the exit fees that the other 7 schools will have to pay. This makes me think that the Big 12 (-7) will poach instead of being poached.

If they stand any shot of remaining BCS they'll have to get at least 7 teams. They'll obviously want to poach from the MWC. The cherry schools would seem to be UTAH, BYU, Colorado State, and TCU. These schools all play pretty decent football and have good followings and/or markets.

TCU would seem to be an obvious choice because the league really needs some sort of presence in the Dallas market. But here is where its interesting. Baylor WILL NOT allow TCU to be invited. Since they are 1/5 of the league Baylor is going to be able to stop them. I think Baylor would also resist SMU which only leaves UNT as an option if the schools want a trip to DFW.

So here is where my thought process is heading. I think the league could end up:

Kansas, K-State, Missouri, Iowa State, BYU, Utah, Colorado State, North Texas, Baylor, Houston. The final 2 could be pulled from wherever (UNLV, UNM, Memphis, Louisville, Boise State could all be sensible choices).

The football league would be pretty meh from a BCS perspective (though no worse than the current Big East), but it would cover all the TVs in the middle of the country.

Edited by MeanGreenTeeth

Why would any of the schools leave the MWC. The confrence is getting very well loaded and balanced. They are probably the closest conference to being BcS that isnt already a BcS conference. With the name schools leaving the Big, whatever it is now, they are going to lose their status as BcS. While I can see NT joining the Big Whatever, even though it is a longshot, it will be without Utah, TCU etc. I think the MWC will snatch Kansas and K State. I think the Big Whatever can remain intact, but it would Baylor, Mizzou, and Iowa St taking some central TZ schools to become a regional conference. That is how NT would have a chance.

I too was think that the remaining Big 12 schools could rebuild. With Colorado not joining the Pac 10 until 2012, the others defecting to the Pac would probably join then too. That would allow the remaing schools one year to find suitable replacements. After reading that TCU could be trying to block Baylor from joining the MWC, I could see where they might want to exclude them from a rebuilt Big 12. Although I doubt Baylor and BYU would want to be the only private schools in the conference. Baylor could be happy as the only North Texas private school. If that is the case, UNT could be the team to deliver the DFW market. Maybe adding Rice with Houston would be enough to appease Baylor and BYU should they demand a larger presence from private schools.

Why would any of the schools leave the MWC. The confrence is getting very well loaded and balanced. They are probably the closest conference to being BcS that isnt already a BcS conference. With the name schools leaving the Big, whatever it is now, they are going to lose their status as BcS. While I can see NT joining the Big Whatever, even though it is a longshot, it will be without Utah, TCU etc. I think the MWC will snatch Kansas and K State. I think the Big Whatever can remain intact, but it would Baylor, Mizzou, and Iowa St taking some central TZ schools to become a regional conference. That is how NT would have a chance.

It's a good question. I just think at the end of the day the Big ? will have more leverage. Another possibility for them would be to go to 16 with what's left of the Big East conference (in a kind of time zone jump similar to the PAC-16). That scenario would probably result in a very strong basketball league. It would also put them well ahead of the MWC in football. Lots of interesting possibilities.

I had thought that the Big East would be raided by CUSA, ACC, and the SEC. I can see your point about consolidating the two into one conference, however, I thought most of those schools were on the east coast. Unlike the Big Xii teams going to the Pack16, There arent several "quality" conferences that are positioned geographically between the two. What do you have between the Big Xii and the Pack 10? The WACky and the MWC. The Wacky is about to disolve and as good as the MWC is becoming, they do not consider them to be on the same level as them. Between the teams in the Big East and the Big Xii, you have the MAC, ACC, CUSA, Sun Belt, and the SEC. All of those teams would mess on themselves to join the SEC or the ACC, and many of them would probably consider the MAC or CUSA. All of those teams would be geographically positioned closer than those of the Big Xii. I think that its more likely that Baylor, Mizzou, and Iowa St would join a CUSA or the Big 10.

Heres an interesting question, what happens to the remnants of the WACky if The SBC were to lure NMSU and LaTech?

It looks like turnabout is fair play for TCU. What a greedy, dysfunctional family college football is.

Sources say TCU doesn't want Baylor in Mountain West

This is for all of thosr posters out there that think that one university can't keep another one out (i.e. SMU vs. UNT) Membership has its privileges, but it works both ways. No matter what, TCU and Baylor won't be in the same conference anytime soon, unless this report is just pure speculation.