Area Schools Ready For Anything - Tcu/smu (Dmn Article)

gangrene

Once again, The Dallas Morning News has snubbed UNT and shown that they do not consider UNT an "area school." The following headline of the article I'm about to link is printed in the Sunday paper edition of the Sports section: "Area Schools Ready for Anything - TCU/SMU." However, they have, at least, changed the headline for the online version of the story to this:

"Conference expansion could open doors for SMU, TCU."

Now, I understand that the writer (the metropolis of hair) is also the beat writer for SMU but it still pisses me off to see an article about "area schools" that excludes any mention of UNT. It's not even the omission from the story that peeves me so much as it was the headline and what insight that wording of the headline tells me about the paper's opinion of North Texas.

DMNarticle.jpg

Let the emailing of the DMN Sports editor commence: Garry Leavell (Sports Editor): gleavell@dallasnews.com and/or Michael Kondracki (Sunday Editor): mkondracki@dallasnews.com

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

NT is a non factor at this time. NT must win to change that issue.

A non-factor in what? Too many people stupidly IMO think that the only thing that mattered is how good is your football team when evaluating possible conference affiliations. If being good in any sport is important, it is men's basketball because a team that does well in the NCAA; monetarily benefits the whole conference. Public perception of the university, geography, and political relationship with the potential conference mates are all factors that are as important as athletic prowess. Universities generally want to be grouped with similar institutions in athletics and academics. Even though a school like UT has to get almost all their athletes in school as special admits because of their academic selectivity, they still want to be associated with university with the highest of academic standards. While every university now would like to be in a regional conference to cut costs, most still do not want to give a leg up to potential competitive programs. Tulane does not want to be involved with other Louisiana schools, Memphis with Middle, SMU and others with UNT, etc. In summary, every school is going to act in their own interest and there are a vast number of issues involved with football competitiveness being only one criterion.

NT is in the best position, they have ever been to be considered for other conferences. Facilities including the building of a new football stadium are turning from a big minus to a plus. The recent push to become a first tier academic institution will be of substantial help. Being the only public football playing university in the fifth biggest media market has to be very positive. Also being the third largest campus in Texas can't be ignored. Yes, NT has negatives too, but overall NT has recently make great recent strides in athletics and academics.

NT is far from a non-factor in the potential conference realignment.

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Once again, The Dallas Morning News has snubbed UNT and shown that they do not consider UNT an "area school." The following headline of the article I'm about to link is printed in the Sunday paper edition of the Sports section: "Area Schools Ready for Anything - TCU/SMU." However, they have, at least, changed the headline for the online version of the story to this:

"Conference expansion could open doors for SMU, TCU."

Now, I understand that the writer (the metropolis of hair) is also the beat writer for SMU but it still pisses me off to see an article about "area schools" that excludes any mention of UNT. It's not even the omission from the story that peeves me so much as it was the headline and what insight that wording of the headline tells me about the paper's opinion of North Texas.

DMNarticle.jpg

Let the emailing of the DMN Sports editor commence: Garry Leavell (Sports Editor): gleavell@dallasnews.com and/or Michael Kondracki (Sunday Editor): mkondracki@dallasnews.com

Done. Thanks for the info.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

---Althought this is the football topic..... one should remember that when considering conference realignment, basketball and even other sports are considered also. We have done pretty well in basketball lately. We have nothing in the area of baseball. Football needs desparately to improve.

---Althought this is the football topic..... one should remember that when considering conference realignment, basketball and even other sports are considered also. We have done pretty well in basketball lately. We have nothing in the area of baseball. Football needs desparately to improve.

And baseball will be huge when we are looking to move up in the world. Football and basketball are very important, but so is the ability to fill out the schedule for other conference members, preferably with easy/less expensive travel.

Edited by Army of Dad