Random Notes On Rice

ESPN NCAA FB Blog

As we told you last week, coach David Bailiff can't be feeling too secure about his job with a new, trigger-happy athletic director in place. But Bailiff may finally have the pieces -- at least on offense -- to get the Owls over .500.

Rice's top two rushers -- sophomore Charles Ross and junior Tyler Smith -- return. Add to them heralded Michigan transfer Sam McGuffie, a sophomore who ripped off two TD runs in Tuesday's intrasquad scrimmage, including a 50-yarder, and redshirt freshman Turner Petersen, whose physical style belies a guy who came to Rice as a WR, and the Owls suddenly have the depth to run the ball all day.

Moreover, at QB, junior returning starter Nick Fanuzzi is expected to have his hands full fighting off challenges from the two Taylors (and we don't mean Lautner and Swift): sophomore Miami transfer Taylor Cook, a Ryan Mallett clone at 6-foot-7, and redshirt freshman Taylor McHargue, who is considered the best athlete among the three.

The college football world is littered with transfers who never lived up to their hype, but if Rice's pair can deliver, the Owls could make a move in Conference USA.

• Upvote 1

Knowing what happened last time we played them, there is no way I can call Rice a "gimme."

Of all of the UNT ass-whippings I've attended, that one was by far the most painful for me. My city. My team. Total failure. The only amount of solace taken is that Rice won 10 games that year. And even that, for a "peer program", is only a very, very small consolation.

• Upvote 1

I'll go ahead and say it's a gimme: "The Rice game is a gimme."

You can quote me. And, for the record, so is Army. We'll paint West Point Mean Green, for sure, dude! Like, totally!

The ground has shifted, fellow Mean Green followers. Shift with it or be sucked into Dante's ninth level freezing hell...because that's where were going to send the majority of our opponents and doubters in 2010!

¡Viva Chico Canales!

(Someone with nunchuk and computer farking skills needs to create a picture of Chico in a Mean Green Sombrero)

• Upvote 1

I'll go ahead and say it's a gimme: "The Rice game is a gimme."

You can quote me. And, for the record, so is Army. We'll paint West Point Mean Green, for sure, dude! Like, totally!

The ground has shifted, fellow Mean Green followers. Shift with it or be sucked into Dante's ninth level freezing hell...because that's where were going to send the majority of our opponents and doubters in 2010!

¡Viva Chico Canales!

(Someone with nunchuk and computer farking skills needs to create a picture of Chico in a Mean Green Sombrero)

I feel like someone has force-fed you some Green Kool-Aid.