Sun Belt Conference #3 In Nation

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely yearning for some Mean Green Baseball now that basketball season is over. I'm sure RV's attention will turn to getting everything in place for baseball once our 2011 football season is over. Really hoping for a team of some sort in 2013.

That said, I don't want them to rush. The early renderings they showed of a possible baseball stadium were just awful. Let's build it right! B)

What didn't you like about it?

Does anyone have those pics still?. What I distinctly remember was there not being an overhang, and it looked very small. If we're going to start a baseball program, then we should almost immediately be able to compete with other Texas teams. We're not going to be able to do that with a cut rate facility. I'd like to see something at least on the level of TCU if not Baylor. Also, I'm not a big fan of the placement of the park on the master plan. It should be to the south of Waranch instead of having a scenic view of 35W.

For reference, TCU's ballpark was $7 million, and Baylor's was $8 million (combined cost with a new softball field).

Edited by ColoradoEagle

What didn't you like about it?

Found the pics:

ATVJOLYFQMMKZCH.20050322171507.jpg

PUIVQVUKKOONVHS.20050322171421.jpg

It's very bare bones, and building a ballpark based on what the requirements were 10-15 years ago. Texas Tech is about to update their park, which looks very similar to this design. By update, I mean they're going to tear the entire thing down and start over again. Sounds kind of familiar.

Either we should go the modest, but impressive route like TCU ($7 million) or balls to the wall route like Texas Tech ($12 million). I know this was just a drawing, but it particularly irked me at the time, because we were talking about adding yet another sport in a subpar facility. Texas has some of the best ball players in the country, and if we build a competitive park, we could actually see North Texas ranked in a sport for once.

Either we should go the modest, but impressive route like TCU ($7 million) or balls to the wall route like Texas Tech ($12 million). I know this was just a drawing, but it particularly irked me at the time, because we were talking about adding yet another sport in a subpar facility. Texas has some of the best ball players in the country, and if we build a competitive park, we could actually see North Texas ranked in a sport for once.

We need something like Oregon is building:

large_aerial.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I know there have been rumblings for years about bringing a baseball program up to North Texas due to the incredible amount of talent that can be found in the Metroplex. It really is a shame we haven't been able to put one together.

Is there any sports that NT plays were there is not an incredible amount of talent in the Metroplex?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'd hate to say it, because I'm a big believer of keeping all sports on campus, BUT...

Why not just pocket the 7 million to start with (especially since we need to add a women's sport), and add 4 sports - Men's baseball, Women's X, and Men's and Women's ice hockey? Both the baseball and hockey teams can play in Frisco to start with, and hopefully build up support for our athletics on the north side of Dallas. It just seems to make more sense than spending 7 million on one sport that might not go anywhere.

I'd hate to say it, because I'm a big believer of keeping all sports on campus, BUT...

Why not just pocket the 7 million to start with (especially since we need to add a women's sport), and add 4 sports - Men's baseball, Women's X, and Men's and Women's ice hockey? Both the baseball and hockey teams can play in Frisco to start with, and hopefully build up support for our athletics on the north side of Dallas. It just seems to make more sense than spending 7 million on one sport that might not go anywhere.

Nobody would show up. Build the facility on campus, commit to nice grandstands with an overhang from dugout to dugout. Berm down the sides and outside the outfield fence for grass seating. You can add seats as needed.

• Upvote 1