Dodge Pulls Darrell Dickey

meangreenbob

I'm not following that reasoning. Thompson gets 5 years to play 4. If he's redshirted next year he still has 3 years after that to complete his eligibility. But, he just used one year's eligibility up by playing in one series.

it was a great series for him!

basically, freshmen that played all or most of the year still have the same amount of time to finish college as he does. yes, he burned his shirt for one series during the last game, but he still got to play and learned this year.

i know i'm in the minority, but i just don't see the big deal of this. thompson now has a story to tell about how he came in after the first two qbs were hurt and he led a perfect drive that ended in a touchdown and had a chance to win the game for his team. sure, that story doesn't mean much to many people here on this board, but i would ASSUME the kid is happy he had the chance to do what he did for his team.

I'm not following that reasoning. Thompson gets 5 years to play 4. If he's redshirted next year he still has 3 years after that to complete his eligibility. But, he just used one year's eligibility up by playing in one series.

Well, there is no use in crying over spilt milk. Thompson might have the case for being a frontrunner in the Spring now. I think that TTG summed it up well, this could have been fixed with an Interim. It sounds to me like Dodge was saying goodbye in the post game interview. He whole heartedly thanked Jub Jub for the pleasue of working with him the last few years.

To Bob - if Vizza really wanted to play ball - he would be playing somewhere else right now. As far as we know, he didn't even try out for the aTm team. Plus - there were other variables with Vizza (and a handful of other players) that I am not going to dredge up on the message board. Some kids want to enjoy college life for what it is rather than be football players. That includes making the same dumb mistakes that many of us made in college. If Vizza was off at another school playing or even trying to play - I might buy your argument but he is not. I think that the decision of Vizza leaving was a terrible one on his part but when I was his age, I didn't really care what others thought either.

But be it malice, stupidity, or other - I don't see how putting in Thompson can be supported. Some people have claimed "Dodge was fighting for his job!"... well... what if he WASN'T?

it can be supported if thompson was all for it or even asked for it. who knows what happened until thompson says something. maybe he wanted to help his team as best he could and that meant burning his shirt....maybe he doesn't care about his redshirt and was excited about playing....maybe he had no option and dodge told his butt to get in there even if he didn't want too. the thing is, we don't know...all we know is that he played and drove our team to a touchdown which gave them a chance to win the game. for that, i thank him.

it can be supported if thompson was all for it or even asked for it. who knows what happened until thompson says something. maybe he wanted to help his team as best he could and that meant burning his shirt....maybe he doesn't care about his redshirt and was excited about playing....maybe he had no option and dodge told his butt to get in there even if he didn't want too. the thing is, we don't know...all we know is that he played and drove our team to a touchdown which gave them a chance to win the game. for that, i thank him.

Maybe I piss rainbows and bend spoons with the power of my mind.

The sad thing is that it's all irrelevant now. It can't be undone, and whatever anyone did or didn't want, it's over with. I have my suspicions about whether Thompson would choose an entire season of opportunity or two minutes of action as part of an insanely low probability shot at leading a fourth quarter comeback that earns his lame duck coach a 9 loss rather than a 10 loss season.

As for the Matt Phillips deal... I had the chance to visit with his parents, too. I completely understand why he wanted any opportunity to get on the field, and I completely understand why he might not have been heartbroken about not getting another year under Coach Dodge.

That story about the seniors wanting to wear the black jerseys for the final game was total BS, according to parents of players on that team. It was Dickey's idea, and he blamed it on the players.

I just happen to personally know 4 of the Seniors that went to Dickey and asked to wear all black uniforms.

I just happen to personally know 4 of the Seniors that went to Dickey and asked to wear all black uniforms.

The uniforms were rec league quality, didn't contain the conference logo or the names of players, weren't cleared with the AD beforehand and violated the agreement with the team's uniform sponsor.

If it had been a planned thing in reaction to a player request, it wouldn't have been so half-assed. It was Dickey's F-U to the school and its fans.

Disagree, you just run the wildcat for less than 2 minutes. Thompson's redshirt should not have been burned in this game.

to burn thompson's redshirt with 2 minutes to go in a meaningless game was a stupid, stupid coaching move as i have ever seen. does he not know he cost that young man an entire season of his career for that 50 seconds. pure ignorance.

Thompson IS the 3rd string quarterback. How often do you have 2 qbs go out with a serious injury in the same game? The odds of this happening were incredibly slim. Dodge is not the piece of crap you wish him to be. I'm sure Thompson knew full well what he was doing and went in anyway and played one hell of a series.

it was a stupid decision that cost the kid a full season for those 50 seconds in a meaningless game. :angry:

The uniforms were rec league quality, didn't contain the conference logo or the names of players, weren't cleared with the AD beforehand and violated the agreement with the team's uniform sponsor.

If it had been a planned thing in reaction to a player request, it wouldn't have been so half-assed. It was Dickey's F-U to the school and its fans.

I hate to even remotely take up for Dickey but RV supposedly ordered the black jerseys and then "lost" them. Dickey had promised them to the team for their last game as they had been asking for them all season. When RV could not "find" them - so the legend says - Dickey bought them with his own money to honor the request. When it is written that way, it sounds very noble, doesn't it? In reality - it was a big F_U to the administration and RV. Totally unprofessional and probably a big reason why Dickey doesn't have a job. Let's see, he went from here to USU, where his offense failed miserably and the fans were calling for his head by mid season. Then onto New Mexico (I believe) and wow, did they suck.

In Dickey's entire coaching career, he has been a part of 4 (maybe 5) winning seasons. That goes back to UTEP, LSU, his one winning season as OC at SMU (with a win over a non-Div I team), and all of his tenure at NT, USU, and UNM. Ouch!

Thompson was already shirted, burning his shirt at the last game of the year is nit that big a deal, IMO. The kid will have four years of eligibility remaining. He will NOT be eligible for another redshirt year. If you burn it in game 3 or game 12, that is still your redshirt year. No sweat. I'll be glad to see Dodge get the boot and will complain about his other decisions, Thompson playng today is a non issue.

you don't know what you're talking about. he just used a full year of eligibility and dodge admitted so in the postgame after georges questioning about it. i guess dodge has never heard of wildcat formations?

you don't know what you're talking about. he just used a full year of eligibility and dodge admitted so in the postgame after georges questioning about it. i guess dodge has never heard of wildcat formations?

he's heard of it and he used it...remember...carey....rushed for a touchdown. he chose to put in thompson becuase there was no other qb and the team was trying to win. yes, his year is gone, but he tried to win the game.

I am not sure that you can come from behind with 2 minutes left only using the wildcat. People have criticism Dodge for not trying to win, now they are on him for trying to win.

Dodge tells his players when he recruits them that they should expect to play their freshman year and no one is automatically redshirted. It kind of sucks they had to burn it for just a couple minutes. I highly doubt the game was meaningless to the players.

Exactly, I was thinking the same thing

he's heard of it and he used it...remember...carey....rushed for a touchdown. he chose to put in thompson becuase there was no other qb and the team was trying to win. yes, his year is gone, but he tried to win the game.

there were two other former qbs on the team. you don't use a full year up for one meaningless series. it was a stupid decision

no it wasn't coach. dodge was trying to win the game. it just didn't work out.

and it wasn't meaningless to thompson. he had a PERFECT drive! the highlight of his freshman year!

Edited by radiogreen

I am not sure that you can come from behind with 2 minutes left only using the wildcat.

What do you think the odds were of coming back at all? Was the improvement in odds between Thompson vs. the wildcat *so great* that you would sacrifice an entire season of his football eligibility?

It was a stupid and thoughtless move. Even if you believe Dodge is a class act, as many people here do, that was not his shining moment.

I acknowledged in another post that I had a brain fart. Yes, he did waste an entire year on a few mnutes in the last game of the year.

• Upvote 1

What do you think the odds were of coming back at all? Was the improvement in odds between Thompson vs. the wildcat *so great* that you would sacrifice an entire season of his football eligibility?

It was a stupid and thoughtless move. Even if you believe Dodge is a class act, as many people here do, that was not his shining moment.

who cares what the odds were of coming back, the team tried to win but didn't....at least they tried and didn't give up.

we can all say what we think it was, stupid smart classless needed, whatever, but we weren't there and we aren't the coach or the player involved. they made the choice respect it and deal with it.

who cares what the odds were of coming back ...

Anyone who values an entire season for a quarterback that he redshirted.

we can all say what we think it was, stupid smart classless needed, whatever, but we weren't there and we aren't the coach or the player involved. they made the choice respect it and deal with it.

Respect it? Screw that. It was an idiotic decision, and thus far your arguments are only making it seem more idiotic.

Anyone who values an entire season for a quarterback that he redshirted.

Respect it? Screw that. It was an idiotic decision, and thus far your arguments are only making it seem more idiotic.

Some people still support the coach who is 5 - 31 and respect his decisions , others do not like the decisions of the coach who is 5 - 31

Edited by NT03

I still support him because he is still the coach at the University of North Texas. I don't agree with his decisions in many cases, but I still support him. And I will support the next guy too.

I agree with what you said, but at this time I'm more interested in Derek Thompson. I mean tell me more...any descriptions of those throws, anything. I want to know.