Women's Tennis Signs Another Good Player

SUMG

seems like a great pick-up. The South American players are either fighters or lazy, hopefully she is the fighter. UALR had a nice South American pipeline back in the early 2000's.

Only issue might be adjusting to Hardcourts since her tournaments have all been on Clay courts.Junior ITF Record

Played some pro tournaments in the qualies but nothing of note since November of 2008.

I am curious to know what happened to the young lady from Laredo CC, that appeared to be signed during the summer but never materialized. Either way she will be a nice replacement to Cruz who will be the lone graduate.

• 3 weeks later...

Plays like Sanchez-Vicario. A fighter. Will replace Idalina Franca, who graduated a few yrs ago, winning 80% of her matches in the middle of the line-up.

She'll be a "tough-out".

Laredo girl: NCAA issues

playing NAIA

seems like a great pick-up. The South American players are either fighters or lazy, hopefully she is the fighter. UALR had a nice South American pipeline back in the early 2000's.

Only issue might be adjusting to Hardcourts since her tournaments have all been on Clay courts.Junior ITF Record

Played some pro tournaments in the qualies but nothing of note since November of 2008.

I am curious to know what happened to the young lady from Laredo CC, that appeared to be signed during the summer but never materialized. Either way she will be a nice replacement to Cruz who will be the lone graduate.

Plays like Sanchez-Vicario. A fighter. Will replace Idalina Franca, who graduated a few yrs ago, winning 80% of her matches in the middle of the line-up.

She'll be a "tough-out".

Laredo girl: NCAA issues

playing NAIA

Thanks for the note on the Laredo CC player, she would have been a great recruit for this year, but still a nice team if they have been practicing hard. Hope the injury bug stays away.

Signing Spring 2010

This is great signing, if Coach Lama gets a pipeline into Czech Republic this will be great for the program. UT-Arlington has pipeline into the same area but this player appears to be heads above their teams. Plus we get her for 4 years.

Seems lke she will be a solid #3-4 behind the Romanians and Madura. Cruz playing #5 and Kazarova #6 should make this a very strong and deep team for Spring season if everyone remains healthy.

How much do foreign players cost UNT in the way of scholarship dollars????? Not to knock the program at all because it is a solid program and one that appears to be getting better and better and getting UNT more and more recognition, BUT...what's the point of giving all the scholarship money to foreign players????? Seems we should be looking to help US born players. How are we helping develop US born tennis players if all the scholarships go to foreign-born players????

I really am just wondering about this. I know UNT is far from alone in this as it appears that college tennis has long since passed the US born player in favor of the foreign born. Why???? Are there simply not enough US born tennis players? If so, why have college tennis programs at all? The money could go to other sports...softball, swimming, driving, etc., etc. that do develop and promote US athletes.

Just wondering, really, I am not knocking anything at all about the UNT program.

How much do foreign players cost UNT in the way of scholarship dollars????? Not to knock the program at all because it is a solid program and one that appears to be getting better and better and getting UNT more and more recognition, BUT...what's the point of giving all the scholarship money to foreign players????? Seems we should be looking to help US born players. How are we helping develop US born tennis players if all the scholarships go to foreign-born players????

I really am just wondering about this. I know UNT is far from alone in this as it appears that college tennis has long since passed the US born player in favor of the foreign born. Why???? Are there simply not enough US born tennis players? If so, why have college tennis programs at all? The money could go to other sports...softball, swimming, driving, etc., etc. that do develop and promote US athletes.

Just wondering, really, I am not knocking anything at all about the UNT program.

Major problem is the baility to get Highly ranked US players to go to "smaller" or "non Big State U." schools. The highest ranked American Player is Kazarova and she was Top 15 in Texas and is playing #6 (Kazarova 4* Recruit). To get a similar player one would need to land a Top 100 Ranked Junior, but would that player commit to North Texas? Maybe if ranking shoots up, but more likely they will go to UT, A&M, etc... unless UNT has a special place in their heart. If Lama or future coaches get UNT into Top 40 in the nation then 4* and 5* recruits will start coming to UNT to play for the school and coach, but until then if you want to win you need to go with foreign talent who do not care about small school stigmas.

Latest 2010 Commitment List One can most of the Texas girls are heading to SEC/ Big 12 schools that are Blue-Chip or 5* would be nice for UNT to get to that level eventually. Denver and FIU are probably the closest to landing 5* and Blue Chip recruits within the Sun Belt Conference

Edited by untbowler

OK, I see the point. I would think it should apply to golf as well. Are there that many more golfers than tennis players available? I do not see the logic in continuing to supply foreign students with scholarships so that one day maybe your program gets "good enough" to attract US born players. Why do schools such as UNT even field men's and women's tennis teams under these circumstances? Is it all about Title IX? Seems to me that most US high schools have tennis teams, there are youth tennis programs all over the country, there are tournaments for every level of player, there are tennis summer camps, paid club coaches for youth players, etc., etc. Why is the US not developing enough players to "staff" college tennis teams?

Let me be clear...I like tennis, I like UNT tennis and I want to see UNT tennis stay and improve. My questions have nothing to do with any "negativity" toward UNT tennis. I just find this fairly unique and interesting and am wondering why a "small" school like UNT would want to fund a tennis program to provide scholarships to foreign born players in the hopes that one day you might be "good enough" to land a US born player.

Looks to me like the US tennis federation should be all over this. It sure doesn't help develop US tennis players. As I am a soccer fan, I follow such develops in that sport...one of the reasons given why England has not done as well in recent years in the World Cup is that too many foreign born players are taking up roster spots in the English Premier and Championship Leagues and fewer and fewer English born players are getting chances to play and develop at the highest levels of play at the expense of the foreign player. Seems the same may happening to US Tennis. Is this a good long-term strategy for the sport in the US? USTF all OK with this?

May be a reason the US struggles in Davis Cup and the Olympics, etc. Who knows how a kid might develop under the coaching of a solid college coach such as at UNT??? Will never know if never given the chance because the scholarship went to a foreign player.

Interesting...sorry I am not that "up" on tennis to know the "in and outs", I just would like to see US players get first shot at scholarship dollars. Just seems that something is missing here...UNTblower...I really appreciate your insight here and would really like to hear more on this from you. You do seem to be our resident tennis expert.

And, by the way...GO UNT TENNIS!!!!! GOOD THINGS ARE HAPPENING FOR UNT TENNIS!!!!!

OK, I see the point. I would think it should apply to golf as well. Are there that many more golfers than tennis players available? I do not see the logic in continuing to supply foreign students with scholarships so that one day maybe your program gets "good enough" to attract US born players. Why do schools such as UNT even field men's and women's tennis teams under these circumstances? Is it all about Title IX? Seems to me that most US high schools have tennis teams, there are youth tennis programs all over the country, there are tournaments for every level of player, there are tennis summer camps, paid club coaches for youth players, etc., etc. Why is the US not developing enough players to "staff" college tennis teams?

Let me be clear...I like tennis, I like UNT tennis and I want to see UNT tennis stay and improve. My questions have nothing to do with any "negativity" toward UNT tennis. I just find this fairly unique and interesting and am wondering why a "small" school like UNT would want to fund a tennis program to provide scholarships to foreign born players in the hopes that one day you might be "good enough" to land a US born player.

Looks to me like the US tennis federation should be all over this. It sure doesn't help develop US tennis players. As I am a soccer fan, I follow such develops in that sport...one of the reasons given why England has not done as well in recent years in the World Cup is that too many foreign born players are taking up roster spots in the English Premier and Championship Leagues and fewer and fewer English born players are getting chances to play and develop at the highest levels of play at the expense of the foreign player. Seems the same may happening to US Tennis. Is this a good long-term strategy for the sport in the US? USTF all OK with this?

May be a reason the US struggles in Davis Cup and the Olympics, etc. Who knows how a kid might develop under the coaching of a solid college coach such as at UNT??? Will never know if never given the chance because the scholarship went to a foreign player.

Interesting...sorry I am not that "up" on tennis to know the "in and outs", I just would like to see US players get first shot at scholarship dollars. Just seems that something is missing here...UNTblower...I really appreciate your insight here and would really like to hear more on this from you. You do seem to be our resident tennis expert.

And, by the way...GO UNT TENNIS!!!!! GOOD THINGS ARE HAPPENING FOR UNT TENNIS!!!!!

I understand your and it is the constant argument heard amongst tennis community, I am not adverse to setting some limit on Foreign players maybe 50/50 split or so, I believe the JUCO's still have a limit of 3 on scholarship at a given time.

I believe RV has also let Lama loose a little more to go outside of the states as the previous coaches stayed with almost all Americans, Dan Traxler had 7/8 Americans with one Canadian transfer from Baylor, Dawna had a Dutch player, but otherwise maninly American. Lama I believe has a better pedigree than the other coaches and probably already had connections developed and now RV is letting him loose to get the players to make UNT a power, but at the same time has snubbed conference foes such as Arky State and UALR with the feeling they are no longer good enough to schedule.