Perfect Tailgating Beer?

PerryG2480

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty much. I like Dox Equis but without the lime.

Dos Equis in the green bottle is good and a lime will just screw it up, lime in beer all started with that cow piss of a beer called Tecate when it still sold in tin cans. The lime helped kill the tin taste and Tecate was still Joe Dirte cheap.

Well that was kinda' the point. A list of Mexican beers that I don't think need a lime. I would personally add Pacifico to that list, but I don't know if anyone here would agree.

I was agreeing with you and disagreeing with him, but my poor typing and post quote screwed it up.

Here's an unpopular opinion recently shared with my friends: the more beers I try, the less I like Shiner, especially the non-traditional varieties (with the exception of that holiday beer last year). What makes me qualified to offer this opinion? The recent addition of my plate on the wall at the Flying Saucer. Pow. Pow.

I was agreeing with you and disagreeing with him, but my poor typing and post quote screwed it up.

Here's an unpopular opinion recently shared with my friends: the more beers I try, the less I like Shiner, especially the non-traditional varieties (with the exception of that holiday beer last year). What makes me qualified to offer this opinion? The recent addition of my plate on the wall at the Flying Saucer. Pow. Pow.

How many different beers must you try to get on the wall? And is there a time limit?

How many different beers must you try to get on the wall? And is there a time limit?

200 - but they limit you to only counting three per visit to avoid dirty drunkiness. It's kind of a scam (we added up what we paid to get there and it was well over a grand), but it became a personal vendetta once a group of college friends and I started playing trivia there together.

They give you a $100 bar tab to celebrate though, so that was nice.

Having not had it in a considerable time...I am VERY much looking forward to a Shiner Bock in a few weeks.

I'm not saying it's a bad beer at all - I still drink it and still like it. I just think it's not the end-all, be-all beer it sometimes gets made out to be. It's the best beer most places have on tap at draft prices by far and I've drunk more Shiner than any other beer out there.

More importantly, when are you coming to Texas and why can't you find it up there?

More importantly, when are you coming to Texas and why can't you find it up there?

I'll be back Sept 18-27...probably not up in the DFW are until the 23rd or 24th. I'll be on the deck for the MTSU game.

I don't think I've seen it sold up here...though thinking about it, it may just be a case of not having noticed it, since I, like you, don't really seek it out regularly. At this point, though, even if I do happen to find a sixer somewhere Shiner is reserved for this sojourn home.

I'd buy some, even though I prefer Coors Light... Anybody seen them on shelves?

Do you know how coors light and making love in a boat are similiar ?

They are both F'n close to water ,,, Thank you, I'll be here all weekend. Be kind to your waitstaff.

GO MEAN GREEN !!!

2009 MEAN GREEN FOOTBALL : NO EXCUSES !!!

If they are, then they are bootlegging it possibly. The Shiner distro map doesn't show it, unless they haven't updated it.

Shiner is a nice beer with BBQ. One of my favorite things to do in DC is eat at Capital Q BBQ and have a Shiner.

Have any of you had the new Shiner Smokehaus? I can't get it in DC or VA. The map says it does go to Maryland, so if it is worth it I will go find some there.

It is good. It is really good with BBQ. Basically they took Shiner 99 (the Helles) and ran it through a mesquite smoking process. To the best of my knowledge it is serving as a replacement to the Kolsch / Summerstock beer from the past.

Who needs a lime for Negra Modelo?

Also, since Real was brouht up elsewhere. I'd endorse someone bringing a keg of Franconia this fall - especially the Octoberfest once it's available.

I am picking up my Franconia Oktoberfest keg on Thursday at the watching party for my home kegerator, tentatively. It also may be on draft for the game

We need a beer forum on here

Anybody homebrew? I just went all grain with an octoberfest its in the fermenter.

Edited by Green Nightmare

I loved the Hellas 99. So did my fiancee, so I may have to try to make a run up to MD before she gets here this weekend!

what the hell are you doing in virginia???? when did you head there???

i haven't tried the smokehaus...something about smokey beer doesn't sit well with me...but the helles was fabulous, so i might just have to try it

Edited by radiogreen

Anybody homebrew? I just went all grain with an octoberfest its in the fermenter.

I've done a few batches. Bottling sucks. I may try to find a used kegging system. The last one I did was a "Texas Red" and I wasn't happy with it. I prefer the Pale Ales. I guess that's why I drink "Fireman's Four" from Real Ale.

I've done a few batches. Bottling sucks. I may try to find a used kegging system. The last one I did was a "Texas Red" and I wasn't happy with it. I prefer the Pale Ales. I guess that's why I drink "Fireman's Four" from Real Ale.

I don't a beer nazi, but "Fireman's #4" is an American Blonde not a Pale. Rio Blanco and Full Moon Rye are Real's pales. Then again, there is Lost Gold (the IPA) and Anniversary XIII (the Belgian PA).

I drink lots of Real. Every place around here has their stuff on tap, and they offer free Brewery tours every Friday (which is a nice way to wind down the work week).

What I wish, is that I could get some "Rahr and Sons" down here. I enjoyed the Stormcloud, Blind Salamander, and Winter last time I was in Fort Worth.

Edited by Chrisattsu

I've become a big fan of New Belgium (Fat Tire, Skinny Dip, Blue Paddle, 1554, etc.) over the last year. Probably cause its close by and so abundant up here. I'm going on the brewery tour on Friday (free beer!) so that is something else for me to look forward to besides football.

However, Shiner will always hold a special place in my heart.

I've become a big fan of New Belgium (Fat Tire, Skinny Dip, Blue Paddle, 1554, etc.) over the last year. Probably cause its close by and so abundant up here. I'm going on the brewery tour on Friday (free beer!) so that is something else for me to look forward to besides football.

Isn't Left Hand up in Longmont? My uncle brought me some of their stuff down from CO a couple years ago. Good beer!

Isn't Left Hand up in Longmont? My uncle brought me some of their stuff down from CO a couple years ago. Good beer!

Yep! I've only tried the beer once or twice (mostly cause its expensive at $10-11 a six pack). From what I recall, it was good. I'll have to take a brewery tour soon to check it out a little more. The brewery sits on about a one acre plot, so it truely is a "microbrewery".

Hopefully I can become a fan so I can support the local business.

On a hot ass Saturday afternoon I still prefer something thats cheap, thats lite, and that can be drank in mass quantity with large amounts of red meat. No need for fancy in the parking lot.

I am somewhat low brow, I like ice cold Miller lite best. It is light and refreshing and easy to find.