Ball State On Espnu?

Travis Scott

ESPNU has the look and feel of the other ESPN flavors. I have been watching football re-runs from last year on it to be sure it was good. Can someone explain the different ESPNs? I thought it was just another channel they hatched to show more games.

ESPNU has the look and feel of the other ESPN flavors. I have been watching football re-runs from last year on it to be sure it was good. Can someone explain the different ESPNs? I thought it was just another channel they hatched to show more games.

ESPU was designed just for college sports WIKIPEDIA

Thanks for the Wikipedia reference. That explains why it just showed up on my DirectTV last month. I didn't even know it was there until I saw that the game with BS was going to be on ESPNU and looked to see if I had it. According to that site, it will not be in HD. Pity. I just bought a Samsung 1080P 240 Hz TruMotion so I could enjoy more TV football this year. Researched for about three months before I pulled the trigger, by the way. I recommend it to anyone looking to buy a new set.

Thanks for the Wikipedia reference. That explains why it just showed up on my DirectTV last month. I didn't even know it was there until I saw that the game with BS was going to be on ESPNU and looked to see if I had it. According to that site, it will not be in HD. Pity. I just bought a Samsung 1080P 240 Hz TruMotion so I could enjoy more TV football this year. Researched for about three months before I pulled the trigger, by the way. I recommend it to anyone looking to buy a new set.

It should be on ESPU HD. I've had it for a few years now and I've never had a game blackout or not be on HD if it was to be scheduled on the regular ESPU channel.

That's strange it just showed up recently. I've had ESPU on my DirecTv subscription for a couple of years now, along with CBSC, Big Ten Network, MTN and all the Fox Sports nets. I'm still waiting the SBC channel. If you're an NFL fan, you can't beat the NFL Sunday Ticket for coverage, but don't expect to get the new NFL network's Red Zone channel any time soon...DirecTv sells that same basic idea as an option on the NFL ticket, called SuperFan. An additional note, Versus (which airs the NHL, Tour de France and some college football games) and DirecTv are in a contract dispute that may result in that channel being blacked out on August 31, if the two parties do not come to an agreement in terms. I'll be an unhappy subscriber if that happens.

Little known fact - as of July 2009 most all networks film in 720p. Only a few actually film in 1080i (HDNet and HBO are a couple). What you see when your TV tells you it's 1080i is actually just an up-conversion of the 720p network feed.

I have AT&T Home Entertainment which uses DirectTV. They USED to have the ESPNU in their extra-cost "Sports Package" , according to Wikipedia, but they signed an agreement with DirectTV this July and DirectTV has put it in their "Choice" and "Choice Plus" packages. It is channel 614 on my set. I'm in Richardson.

Edited by EagleMBA

Little known fact - as of July 2009 most all networks film in 720p. Only a few actually film in 1080i (HDNet and HBO are a couple). What you see when your TV tells you it's 1080i is actually just an up-conversion of the 720p network feed.

And there are STILL several channels and programs that shoot on HDV and try to pass it off as legit HD.

My bedroom TV is a 720p, gangrene, and I don't see much difference for most programming...thanks, now I know why. I DO notice the difference between 60 Hz, 5ms response time and 240Hz, 2ms response time when NASCAR is running or a ball is in the air. DVDs are really sweet on the new rig though; still haven't gone to BluRay, which is supposed to maximize the set's capabilities. For now, it is 1080p upconvert.

Ok, I found where I read it - DIRECTV TO OFFER ESPNU IN ITS CHOICE™ PACKAGE

As part of the agreement, DIRECTV will also launch ESPNU HD by the end of the first quarter 2010. Additionally, ESPN Classic will be repackaged into the DIRECTV SPORTS PACK.

That also explains why EagleMBA just started receiving the signal...it was added to the Choice package, whereas it was part of the Sports package before. Unfortunately, this means that those of us who are DirecTv customers will have to watch the Ball State game in SD, or find someone with Verizon Fios.

Lesser known fact, they don't "film" at all. They record digitally. Sorry, it's an old RTVF pet peeve of mine. But you are right. My station went "high def" recently. We upconvert so much crap it's not really high def at all.

My bedroom TV is a 720p, gangrene, and I don't see much difference for most programming...thanks, now I know why. I DO notice the difference between 60 Hz, 5ms response time and 240Hz, 2ms response time when NASCAR is running or a ball is in the air. DVDs are really sweet on the new rig though; still haven't gone to BluRay, which is supposed to maximize the set's capabilities. For now, it is 1080p upconvert.

If you have a True Motion function on the 100+ Hz Sets, I suggest turning it off before viewing BluRay or HD-DVD. Unless you like making movies look like Daytime Soap Opera shot on an HD hand held.

-Great for sports tho.

Edited by MeanMag

MeanMag, I read some reviews that hinted at the same advice. I'm still exploring it. Sports is REALLY why I got that particular set, but I used some slick BS on the woman.

If you have a True Motion function on the 100+ Hz Sets, I suggest turning it off before viewing BluRay or HD-DVD. Unless you like making movies look like Daytime Soap Opera shot on an HD hand held.

-Great for sports tho.

This.

I recently rediscovered that TacoComm here in Austin carries ESPNU in their digital tier (ch. 129). Here's hoping the KNTU internet stream syncs up fairly well.