July 29, 2009

IRVINE, Calif. --- UC Irvine Intercollegiate Athletics, faced with cost-cutting measures due to the state economic crisis, is discontinuing several of its sports programs, effective Aug. 1.

The five affected sports are men's and women's swimming and diving, men's and women's rowing, and sailing.

These may seem like minor sports, but Irvine has a pretty strong tradition in them. Among the alumni:

Jennifer Chandler - gold medalist (diving) in the 1976 Olympics

Bob Ernst (B.S. 1968) - U.S. national rowing coach (1984 Olympic gold medal winner)

Bruce Ibbetson (B.S. 1975, MBA 1982) - silver medalist stroke of the eight(Rowing) in the 1984 Olympics

Brad Alan Lewis (B.A. 1976) - gold medalist (Rowing) in the 1984 Olympics

Greg Springer (B.S. 1983) - silver medalist (Rowing) in the 1984 Olympics

and some nobody called Greg Louganis (B.A. 1983) - four-time Olympic gold medalist (diving)

At least this time when the state government screwed up beyond repair, UCI didn't cut baseball!

DAMN IT !!! THIS IS A UNT MESSAGE BOARD

Yeah. If you don't phrase this as some sort of corollary to Sarah Palin, Democrats, or Health Care... I'm going to have to ask the moderators to delete it.

Seriously, though... Sorry to hear about this for your alma mater.

July 29, 2009

IRVINE, Calif. --- UC Irvine Intercollegiate Athletics, faced with cost-cutting measures due to the state economic crisis, is discontinuing several of its sports programs, effective Aug. 1.

The five affected sports are men's and women's swimming and diving, men's and women's rowing, and sailing.

The Sky Is Falling, The Sky Is Falling, at least for those who give a rats @ss about UC Irvine.

Rick

Guys, knowing you all pretty well... I know that you'd all get along great if you met in real life. Everyone please take it easy.

We do know each other, just not very well. And I agree, I'm sure we would get along just fine if we did. I still don't give a hill of beans about what goes on at UC Irvine. But if it helps everyone, you can add them to my EagleD tU Longhorn Bootlicker list I started about 10 years back. :P

Rick

"July 29, 2009 IRVINE, Calif. --- UC Irvine Intercollegiate Athletics, faced with cost-cutting measures due to the state economic crisis, is discontinuing several of its sports programs, effective Aug. 1. The five affected sports are men's and women's swimming and diving, men's and women's rowing, and sailing."

OK, I'll ask. How much savings can there be from cutting these sports (and I use the term sports loosely in regards to rowing and sailing)? I assume most of the cost was in the scholarships? I'd like to see UNT do the same (cut some minor sports) if it meant we could add another revenue sport...baseball.

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

"July 29, 2009 IRVINE, Calif. --- UC Irvine Intercollegiate Athletics, faced with cost-cutting measures due to the state economic crisis, is discontinuing several of its sports programs, effective Aug. 1. The five affected sports are men's and women's swimming and diving, men's and women's rowing, and sailing."

OK, I'll ask. How much savings can there be from cutting these sports (and I use the term sports loosely in regards to rowing and sailing)? I assume most of the cost was in the scholarships? I'd like to see UNT do the same (cut some minor sports) if it meant we could add another revenue sport...baseball.

I'd love to see a baseball team when the time is right... But baseball is not a revenue sport.

I'd love to see a baseball team when the time is right... But baseball is not a revenue sport.

It is in the SEC, but that's it. Total money pit everywhere else. But to be fair, name the revenue sport at any mid-major school. Does football make a profit at UNT? I'd be pretty surprised.

Edited by oldguystudent

It is in the SEC, but that's it. Total money pit everywhere else.

Even in California ?

USC, Fullerton ?? I would think @ these baseball schools rich in tradition that they could pull out a profit or at least break even.

Edited by NT03

Even in California ?

USC, Fullerton ?? I would think that these baseball rich traditions schools they could pull out a profit or at least break even.

USC doesn't even average 1000 attendance. Fullerton is approaching 3000 for it's Friday home games. West coast college parks are tiny. They had to put in temporary bleachers in Irvine this year to host a regional. The place only has 900 seats, and it's one of the nicest stadiums in the state. It's a bit of an ordeal every year because there has to be a couple west coast regionals, and Fullerton, Long Beach (who plays in a minor league park) and San Diego State are the only parks that are built to host. If you have a year where at least two of those teams aren't kicking ass, you've got a facilities problem. Not too long ago, 2006 if I recall, Pepperdine hosted and had people literally sitting on the grass. And they didn't even have lights!

So to summarize, outside the players' families and a few hundred nutjobs like me who actually follow the sport, nobody much watches college baseball in California.

Slam sailing if you wish, but rowing is incredibly taxing physically. It most definitely is a sport.

Even in California ?

USC, Fullerton ?? I would think @ these baseball schools rich in tradition that they could pull out a profit or at least break even.

According to the EA website Fullerton's annual baseball expense is $208,528. Considering their total REVENUE for all teams is $9,261,092 I would think they turn a profit. We know they at least balance their budget overall.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick