Live Chat W/ Rick Villarreall Tomorrow At 11am

GabeGMG

Sorry guys- I did not ask any questions on the live chat.

I missed the question ya'll are referring to.

Say it ain't so .... now you're telling me CharlieNT73 isn't really CharlieNT73 either??

[Comment From CharlieNT73 ]

Do you take all the negative talk from some of our so-called fans as a personal challenge? Are you excited to rub our soon-to-be definite success in their faces starting in September?

11:17

Rick V: I don't take any of those things that are said personally. I have great pride in our program and although we have our challenges we've made improvements.

Actually the fact that more people care today than when I first walked on campus means we've made positive changes.

No matter how great a program is there will always be detractors. Our goal is to service the fan and create the very best be at the website, gamedays, or on chat boards. People can voice their opinions but we are going to take a positive approach to everything.

WHAT???? :o You have to be kidding me...why would someone use a "fake" name? Very strange and very suspect. I am shocked...shocked I tell you. How can I trust anyone any longer???? The shame of it all...it must have something to do with SMU....

i too only get the first question of the chat :(

Well, since they attempted to email the recap of the live chat (mine was blank) I don't see why we shouldn't just go ahead and post the whole thing here for all to see. If I'm not mistaken, the point is to get the word out to as many as are interested, and since so many of you are having a hard time accessing, here it is in its entirety:

Chat With AD Rick Villarreal (07/22/2009)

10:45

Kenny: Hello everyone, this is Kenny Bybee with the North Texas sports information department. I will be your moderator for today's chat. As for ground rules for this morning the only rule we'll have is no vulgar language, other than that everything else is free game. We'll kick this off with some e-mail questions we received from fans we got before hand and then we'll start the live questions at 11.

10:49

Kenny: First question from Scott Campbell:

Rick, we all know the football team has struggled under Coach Dodge. I believe that it takes 2 full years to convert an offense from run to pass (vice versa), please give us your take on what makes you confident year 3 we will move forward?

10:51

Rick V: I believe we have seen our coaching staff mature. We know have coaches with alot of expeierence in some key positions. The addition of a strength and conditioning position has made our kids faster and stronger. Second we have alot of juniors and seniors returning this year, we have two returning RBs that are proven and explosive, alot of speed at WR, and it looks we have a guy pulling the trigger on offense that has alot of experience.

10:53

Rick V:

On defense we have added some speed on cornerback you will see some young players come in and move to some positions closer to the line. I believe our D-line is going to alot stronger with the players coming in and the experience that we have there.

We also saw alot of improvement in our special teams in the spring and you will continue to see us create better field position through better special teams play.

10:53

Kenny: Next from Roger Durham:

What happened to the plan to add baseball as a varsity sport at UNT?

10:56

Rick V: Baseball is still very much part of our plan at the University of North Texas. Over the last five years the number of additional facilities we have had to build as well as the elevation of the women's programs has taken up alot of resources and man hourse.

However we see the strength of baseball not only in the ability to draw fans but also to create an amount of visibility in the spring and be competitive nationally. We have seen what Houston, TCU, Dallas Baptist, Texas and others have done.

In the enviroment today however this is going to have to be strategically done. We don't have a date at this time. The completion of the stadium process is at the forefront right now, but baseball will be an area we explore once the stadium is under construction.

10:58

Kenny: From Blanca Hull:

I realize there is a wide variation for the time frame on the new stadium, however, if you had a million dollars to bet when would you believe the stadium will open?

11:01

Rick V: If I had a million bucks to bet I'd put it towards the stadium....Based on construction schedules, which everyone is on board with, including the university administration and athletic department, design and development will be completed at the end of July, at board vote will be taken in August to move full steam ahead.

Then in October the Texas Coordinating Board would be presented with the project and upon its approval construction documents would be completed and construction would start in January 2010. The process will take 18 months and the new stadium should be ready for use in July 2011.

11:02

Rick V:

Upon all approvals, our goal is to have a ground breaking ceremony sometime in the month of November.

11:03

Kenny: From Kelly Reyna:

Rick: Any chance we will be able to get the eagle or UNT on the side of the helm[...]ets instead of North Texas. I think the eagle would be a great look.

11:05

Rick V: I think we still are working hard to create a brand and a national image. I don't think you will see "UNT" on the helmet anytime soon. It's not how we branded ourselves in the public as far as athletics is concerned.

We aren't LSU, USC, or those schools whose acronmy is identifiiable. I love the eagle and you will see more co-branding with the eagle and North Texas. It's our hope people will be able to see the logo and recognize our brand and our logo.

11:06

[Comment From Kevin ]

Can we get a green helmets again, and darker green jerseys?

11:07

Rick V: Our school colors are an emerald kelly green and that's the colors we want our teams wearning. We made a decision six years ago to go back to our original color. For us it's a unique name and color that allows us to be widely recognized.

11:07

[Comment From Mark Miller ]

Are there any special events planned for the Army game....such as The Golden Knights droppingin with the game ball, a march in by the Corps of Cadets, etc., etc. For me, this will be a very special games...as was the navy game a couple of years ago. Anything special in the planning stages?

11:08

Rick V: We have met several times with the alumni as well as the admistrative personel with Army and plan on having a number of events around the game, especially those that recognize our service men and women. Specifics have not been set and we would be remiss to release anything right now. But expect the same kind of pagentry around this game as you saw at the Navy game.

11:09

[Comment From joe ]

if all else was equal will you try and use unt alumni in the building of the stadium?

11:11

Rick V: I'm not sure exactly what your asking but it is imperative that there is participation of all North Texas alumni to be success in construction and longterm in building a program.

I've been asked when will the general fan have a chance to contribute to the stadium and we are going to await board approval before we roll out a plan that creates the opportunities for fans at every level to become involved.

11:11

[Comment From Dennis T. ]

Who will be our first opponent in the new football stadium??

11:12

Rick V:

Still negotiating that one.

11:12

[Comment From Carl Sanchez ]

Big day for fashion talk! Do you think we will be in a new conference in the next 3 years. Which makes more sense: The Big 12, WAC or CUSA? I'll hang up and listen.

11:14

Rick V: Don't hang up yet! I've said before that controlling your destiny as far as conferences are concered is building the proper facilities for your school but also makes your existing conference attractive.

The second thing is fan participation. Any conference that has a number of bowl tie-in's, additional participation in the NCAA, wants to know that school bring thousands of fans to games.

We have made the commitment to remedy to fix the facility situation but we must see increases in attendance, participation in the MG Club, if other people around the country are going to look at us as a viable candidate if any movement takes place.

11:15

Rick V: That being said, our goal must be to be the best in the Sun Belt Conference and continue to elevate the SBC.

11:15

[Comment From CharlieNT73 ]

Do you take all the negative talk from some of our so-called fans as a personal challenge? Are you excited to rub our soon-to-be definite success in their faces starting in September?

11:17

Rick V: I don't take any of those things that are said personally. I have great pride in our program and although we have our challenges we've made improvements.

Actually the fact that more people care today than when I first walked on campus means we've made positive changes.

No matter how great a program is there will always be detractors. Our goal is to service the fan and create the very best be at the website, gamedays, or on chat boards. People can voice their opinions but we are going to take a positive approach to everything.

11:18

[Comment From Joyce ]

What does the pricing look like for suites in the new stadium? if the average person was interested in renting one, would it be feasible?

11:21

Rick V: Suites are amenities at all stadiums that cater to those who want a different type of game expereience and therefore might not fit the budget. The suites in our stadium are already on sale and we have already received commitments for over half of those that are available.

The cost for those is an initial gift of at least 100,000 dollars and a five-year contract at a 20,000 dollar annual rate.

Suite amenties include VIP parking, food, drinks, flat screen TV's, sound systems, and number of other benefits. They will be comparable to boxes anywhere in the country at the collegiate level.

11:21

[Comment From LongJim ]

First of all, thanks for the series with Rice, and other 'mid-major' conference teams, especially the MAC and CUSA teams. Can you talk about the relationship between UNT and other Texas schools? For example, what is the hold up (if any) on scheduling TCU, UTEP, and/or Houston?

11:24

Rick V: We continue to try to schedule teams within the state. I believe you will see more in state scheduling in the future with economy and travel being part of it.

The hold ups in the past were two major factors. One in trying to play a schedule that afforded them top 25 status, TCU has begun to fill their schedule with teams like LSU, Arkansas, and others on their home schedule. The other is that some schools that we consider at the same level did not want to play home-and-home series with us.

11:24

[Comment From Brian ]

What should we expect to hear/see at the kickoff cookout?

11:26

Rick V: We will give you a stadium update, an opportunity to see the latest renderings and plans, a chance to talk to some of our new coaches. A chance to meet the new players that will be coming in and some new additions to our Hall of Fame areas and the runs itself.

11:26

[Comment From Joe ]

How are the sales of Suites and Club Level seats going ? Are you able to tell us the number of each that have been committed so far ?

11:28

Rick V: We have covered alot of that earlier but we have just begun offering club level seating and in just the last two or three weeks we have already sold appx. 5 percent of the seats we are still two years away.

11:28

[Comment From Jeff ]

Are there any plans for expanding football advertising into the DFW metroplex? As an advertising professional, I think we are neglecting a key market that could really increase attendance with a bit of advertising and/or pricing promotions to highlight how close Denton is to DFW and the great value that can be had on gameday by families on a budget.

11:30

Rick V: The things we have done in the Dallas market to expand our visibility is securing a 100,000 watt radio station as well as broadcasting local games in the DFW market.

I'm assuming that your talking about TV, radio, and billboards. I will tell you that at this point the cost of those medians makes them cost prohibitive for us but a number of schools.

However as an advertising professional I would be open to suggestions that you have to help us get the word out .

11:30

[Comment From Tyrel UNT 95 ]

Hi Rick. Hope you're doing well. Is there any opportunity for the general public to see the new stadium plans (blue prints, etc.) before ya'll break ground?

11:31

Rick V: Kickoff cookout. And we've never turned away anyone who wants to come to the building and see them either.

We brought renderings to the alumni meeting two weeks ago and as they continue to evolve we will be happy to show them to whoever would like to see them.

11:32

[Comment From MarcusNT07 ]

Hi Rick! I'm a recent grad and a continued supporter of the Mean Green. Will there be the same kind of pre-game atmosphere with the new stadium as there is now in the "Mean Green Village" next to Fouts?

11:33

Rick V: No. It will be a much improved atmosphere. We intend to maintain alot of the green space and trees so you won't have to tailgate on asphalt.

We will have the ability to expand our sound system, kids areas, and others that currently we are straped for space.

We intend to create an area around the stadium for people to set up there tailgating around we want the are to intensify at the new stadium.

11:33

[Comment From Allen ]

In the past there was talk of setting up Mean Green Clubs in various cities to help further the goals of the program, but nothing about that for a while, was that idea scrapped or is there still a chance to help involve the masses to take us to the next level.

11:35

Rick V: As you might expect with the development staff our emphasis has been on the stadium and therefore we have not had the manpower to focus on building that organization.

However I think it's imperative for us to grow. In prior programs I've been with it's not uncommon to have up to 75 local MG Club directors involved who serve as spokeman to the community who help elevate attendance, financial support, and expose for the program.

11:35

[Comment From Bob ]

Will we still be able to have to Bonfire where it is or will that have to be moved after the new stadium is built?

11:36

Rick V: That is still in deliberation. The current pond will have to be reconfigued in order to meet some requirements. However I can assure you that the bonfire will continue to be a huge focal point of homecoming and should continue to be adjacent to the stadium in some form or fashion.

11:37

[Comment From Mark Miller ]

How will current Fouts Field seat locations be handled for Mean Green Club members/donors who are season ticket holders when the move is made? Will similar seat locations be available on a "priority basis" for current donors and season ticket holders?

11:39

Rick V: All seating as it is in the stadium today will be based on points, it is our intent to make North Texas football a family event and affordable for the fan. While some programs have continued to raise the prices for seats or other things, we understand the need to continue to build the base and will work very closely with our fans to be in the type of seats that they are use to and want to be in.

11:39

[Comment From Justin Young ]

How do you think the new stadium will impact local business? Do you think we have the restaurants and hotels to support a New stadium on gameday?

11:41

Rick V: A number of new hotels have been built in the last year here in Denton with another new one to be built in the place of the old Radisson which will be adjacent to the new stadium.

I truely believe that not only college games, but high school, and regular season games will bring people to Denton and it will be a major economic impact for the community.

While those that aren't in Denton may not see the growth of hotels and restaurants, it continues to build everyday and I know we will be able to accomodate people on gamedays.

11:42

[Comment From RUTH ]

Where will parking be for the new stadium? Still over at Fouts?

11:43

Rick V: There will be nearly 2,000 spots in and around the new stadium on game-day. That's 300 more than we have right now at Fouts field. In addition we are working with TXDOT on a plan that will provide a pedestrian bridge from Fouts over to the new stadium which will allow fans to park in the Fouts Field area, but have easy access to the new stadium.

11:43

[Comment From Matt ]

Can fans expect a continuing commitment to six home football games a year in each upcoming season?

11:45

Rick V: Yes it is our goal to have six home games year in and year out. Eventually I'd like to see a season where we have seven home games. Alot of that is dependant upon people buying tickets, joining the MG Club. If we can generate our our revenue the the need to depend so called guarantee games.

Rick V: Our goal in future six games seasons will be to play one national profile game, have two home and home series, and then an additional opponent playing on campus.

[Comment From Robert Botts ]

I've heard a lot of numbers on what the capacity of the new stadium will be so I'm wondering if there is an official number yet? Also, will the stadium be built so that it can be expanded in the future?

11:46

Rick V: Current capacity will exceed 30,000 and the number is not set as the stadium continues to be designed.

All of the facilities are being built so that additional seating can added as needed. With a total capacity being near 50,000.

11:48

[Comment From Dan Martin ]

Over the last three decades UNT has made a less than impressive run at the top tier of Athletic programs in the Southwest. It hasn't been from a lack of effort or enthusiasm, but we continue to pick up mostly the area athletes that are not recruited by the top programs like Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and even TCU of late. Right now the synergy appears to be better than it has ever been with the athletic department leadership, with the quality coaching staffs, with the full compliment of athletic programs for men and women, with the athletic facilities recently acquired or newly completed, with moderate success in the basketball program and many of the minor sports, with our geographic location, with our exposure to a major media market, with the student population growth, and finally the new football stadium initiative. What is it going to take to get us over the hump and make us competitive for the elite athletes?

11:50

Rick V:

As I've said before the football stadium is a key component to the success of the entire program. If you look at what has been accomplished by the upgrading of the facilities such as baskeball, swimming, and tennis, you have to have the right facility, the right coach, to attract the right athletes.

It takes great talent to perform at the highest levels and we have seen much improvement in many areas.

The other factor is fan participation. Recruits want to go places where they are going to playing in front of full areas. The atmoshere created by big crowds is attractive. Everyone needs to support the program, we have to make saturday afternoon's the place to be so we can continue to get the best student athletes

11:51

[Comment From SBC Swami ]

Rick - how do see you college athletics changing in terms of conferences and geographic changes in wake of the financial uncertainty?

11:52

Rick V: I think your going to see a lot more local competitions and more local rivals as opposed to flying all across the county. These are great opportunities for schools that have not played in the past to put aside those difference and start playing.

I know serving on NCAA committees that everyone in the nation is looking at ways to continue to operate first class Division I athletes by looking at all of the options and you will see a lot of changes in the next few years.

11:52

[Comment From Kelly S. ]

Are there any sponsors for naming the stadium on the horizon?

11:54

Rick V: All I can say at this point is we have met with two different groups about that possibilities and other naming rights within the stadium. We will continue to seek out other areas. But we feel comforatable with the location of this facility that we will have a naming rights sponsor in place when the stadium opens.

11:54

[Comment From Brett ]

In your opinion, what will constitute a successful 2009 football season? Do you have a certain number of wins in mind? Will there be significant changes if the team repeats the one-win season of 2008?

12:00

Rick V:

The expectations of myself and of Coach Dodge is that we have to see progress in the number of wins and the competitiveness of our teams. Especially in SBC games, we should be nearning that point where everyone of those games is winnable and when its over we had a chance to walk away with a W.

We must elminate those games where the margin of loss is substantial. That being said there are a number of factors that effect the football season, injuries, etc, and is something we will evaluate when we get to December.

12:00

Kenny: We've got time for one more question!

12:03

[Comment From Justin Young ]

How do you think the addition of Charr Gahagan(Strength and Conditioning Coach) help UNT's football program?

12:05

Rick V: A strength coach spends more time than any other coach on the staff so there influence, not only physically, but also mentally is important.

We made alot of progress with Aaron and alot of people though there would be a dropoff when he left, but while it was tough under Coach Ausmus, they feel like they are going to another level under Charr.

You will see a definite improvement in strength, speed, and one that will have no excuses.

When talking to him in the hiring process, he wants to eliminate all of the excuses. They won't be acceptable to Charr but I believe once we start the process of mandatory workouts that he will have even more of an impact.

12:07

Rick V: Thanks for everyone for being here. We'd love your feedback on whether you think this is a good feature and something you want us to continue to do. If we didn't answer your question we wll try and get to it on our website sometime soon.

Go Mean Green!

12:07

Kenny: We want to thank everyone who participated in today's chat and we're extremely excited about the response, considering this was our first attempt. Our only concern was being unable to answer everyone's questions. This won't be the only opportunity for you the fans to interact with Rick.

He wants to make sure he can answer all your questions and if yours was not chosen be sure and e-mail them to askathletics@unt.edu and we will have a response for you on the Green Gang Blog later this week.

Also, don't forget you will have the chance to chat with Coach Dodge on Monday at 11 a.m.

Keep checking meangreensports.com for future chats and GO MEAN GREEN!

WHAT???? :o You have to be kidding me...why would someone use a "fake" name? Very strange and very suspect. I am shocked...shocked I tell you. How can I trust anyone any longer???? The shame of it all...it must have something to do with SMU....

Well -we can certainly rule out Justin Young as a suspect.

Thanks for posting & thanks to RV for taking the time.

Did someone seriously ask if the Big 1 2 would make sense for UNT in 3 years :unsure:

The Southland would have been a more realistic question, opps forgot TSSM, Lamar, and UTSA all will have greater funding than UNT. Maybe the Lone Star is more realistic.

The Southland would have been a more realistic question, opps forgot TSSM, Lamar, and UTSA all will have greater funding than UNT. Maybe the Lone Star is more realistic.

Glad to see you're back to your old self. I didn't think the "kinder, gentler" DallasGreen would last too long.

I enjoyed the chat with RV...I found it a bit strange that some were using their GMG.com "names" for the chat. What's up with that? No reason to hide your identity on the live chat as unless someone already knows your GMG.com name you would not be giving away "top secrets" by using your real name. Think about that for the next chat with Coach Dodge...why not actually let him know who is asking the question and to whom he is responding.

There were some excellent questions...including my favorite from CharlieNT73...nice, very nice.

And, I agree...Lonnie if you want to ask the "tough" questions, why not be there for Coach Dodge's live chat...it's next. And, use your real name too...lots of folks would not know you were "The Fake Lonnie", but would appreciate the fact that you had the "boys" enough to ask the type of questions you want. What do you think? It's an open chat, so all are welcome.

I did ask a question (which RV sidestepped...most likely to placate the current coach) using my real name. But, it doesn't make a difference which name I use. My real name or screen name have no bearing on the competitiveness of the football team. Nor does it have anything to do with the athletic adminstration.

Besides, Rick Villareal already knows who I am. One of his flunkies who trolls the board gave him my phone number and he called me personally back in April. We disagreed about many things. I'm not impressed that he called. Nor am I impressed by excuses, which he was full of when he spoke to me. Nothing is his fault or Todd Dodge's fault. They're just two men who are hapless victims of circumstance.

The bottom line is, college football teams are judged by wins and losses. This school hasn't fielded a winning squad since 2004, and the last two years have been pitiful. It's not impressive to get blown out at home by FIU. Until such time as we can put up a winning record against at least our Sun Belt foes, none of it will be in the least bit impressive. Nothing Rick Villareal or Todd Dodge say will change it. Talk is cheap. The only thing that changes impressions for the positive is winning.

And, those two are ultimately responsible for whether or not we win or lose. The players don't coach themselves. They don't make the gameplans. They don't make the personnel decisions off the field. Rick Villareal has nothing more to say to me. And, it doesn't matter what Todd Dodge says during the summer before the season starts. It's nothing but talk. His effort is gauged in the squad's on the field results during the fall. There's no magic to it.

Real name or screen name...unbelievable. Wake up.