Sources: Tom Hicks Will Have To Sell Rangers

This is a very interesting article, who would have thought the first place AL WEST Rangers was basically broke.

Tom Hicks is an idiot. Also herad Jerry Jones was in major financial trouble as well.

You would have thought the Rangers success in the AL West, energized enthusiasm of fans, and the huge spike in attendance at the Ballpark would have helped. Especially since merchandise sales have been very well with the teams success.

Nolan Ryan and David McDavid are in the running to buy the team heard that about two months ago.

Is this truth or assumption? I haven't been to a game this season.

There was an article in the DMN back in May that said attendance was down, but revenue was up. The attendance section of their 09 Wikipedia Website doesn't look too bad- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Texas_Rangers_season

Yeah, they have some sub-20k games, but then again they have some 37k+ games.

I ask this question as a person who barely, if at all, follows the Rangers. Is Tom Hicks one of those sports owners who sees his teams as little more than a trophy toy?

I think just the opposite. If it were a trophy toy, he would keep it shiney and display it pominently, much like George Stienbrenner and the Yankees. That would mean high priced free agents and a win at all costs mentality. I think he may have started that way, but quickly changed his ways to make it like any other business he operates. Spend as little as possible to make as much as possible. No risk, no reward.

~2,500 more people per game is not what I would call a huge spike in attendance.

If you assume that each additional but in the seat brings in, just a very rough estimate of $15 per game including tickets, food, beer etc, then that is over 3 million by the end of the season.

I don't know if that is alot though, but I wouldn't scoff at it.

If you assume that each additional but in the seat brings in, just a very rough estimate of $15 per game including tickets, food, beer etc, then that is over 3 million by the end of the season.

That's not enough to make the Rangers buyers at the trade deadline. It isn't going to be enough to make Josh Hamilton or any of the other good young talent the Rangers have want to stay when their contract is up.

I don't think it is being scoffed at.

In my untrained opinion, I would think the front office is assuming these numbers into their budget and not necessarily rejoicing in it. Considering the improved play/record, any increase in attendance should be expected. That's just the way the market works...

...I don't know how it is graded/pro-rated, etc, but if I am working in that office I am more interested in %s, such as butts-in-seats per win (and comparing those numbers to how other successful MLB franchises are doing). Or something similar...

I also imagine that 3 million is practically couch change for any major league franchise.

...just stating the obvious for most of you. But that's what I am here for sometimes.