Bubas Cup Final Standings

We'RE #3...WE'RE #3!!!! Actually that is good to see. It does show a bit of a level playing field for athletics at UNT and shows the quality of the entire athletic program compared to our "peers" in the Sunbelt. I know most on this board would find it hard to believe, but there are folks out there that prefer the non-revnue sports over football and basketball. Some of those folks give $$$ to UNT because the sports they follow have been doing well.

I know Football rules and most might judge a university's athletic program on its football team's success alone...can you imagine that...but, this is a good showing by UNT overall. Way to go MEAN GREEN! Just think where we will be ranked at the end of next season with football, women's basketball, softball, soccer, golf, etc. doing even better.

GO MEAN GREEN!!!!!

NT needs to fund more Men's sports that the conference sponsors a championship in to have a chance at winning a Bubas Cup. Even if the team finishes at the bottom it would earn points. I believe Baseball, not trying to start a baseball versus soccer debate, is the only conference sport that NT does not sponsor.

NT finishes #3 nearly every year, WKU and Muts fight out first and second. Sports should be weighted either by percentage of ships given, department expenditure or some other way. No way football should be rated the same as womens golf.

Well currently that helps us.

:(

In other words, we could give up our 1 point in football and apply the ships to men's swimming, men's tennis, and baseball and we'd probably do better towards the stupid trophy. :blink:

I'd rather be scoring high in the revenue and attendance sports, scrap all the others, and forget about the stupid trophy. :P

I like the fact that for this particular trophy, the levels are even. Sure, maybe you could give a slight nod to football and basketball - but this really judges the overall strength of the different athletic programs in conference. More points to be had in track than any other tho with the indoor and outdoor season.

The fact that we don't finish higher in those(especially indoor) hurts us.

I like the fact that for this particular trophy, the levels are even. Sure, maybe you could give a slight nod to football and basketball - but this really judges the overall strength of the different athletic programs in conference. More points to be had in track than any other tho with the indoor and outdoor season.

The fact that we don't finish higher in those(especially indoor) hurts us.

I kind of feel like the trophy shouldn't be judged for 50 years - people are too close to the teams and emotions get in the way. (see politics/racism board for reference)

Not sure NT takes this competition very seriously. The key to winning is fairly obvious, strong track teams (counts as 6 events) and heavy use of foreign athletes. WKU for example won men and women cross country as well as women's indoor track and both women and men's outdoor track. They did this largely because of the heavy use of foreign athletics. Their conference winning cross country teams got most of it points from their 3 athletes from Kenya, 3 from Uganda and 1 each from South Africa and Ireland. These same athletes also dominated the distance events in track. Middle Tennessee follows the same formula with a cross country team including four from Kenya, 2 from Uganda and 3 from Canada.

Nothing wrong with how MTSU and WKU dominate the all sports competition, in fact it is smart if your objective is winning the Buba's. Even though WKU has a two sports advantage and the MUTS one, NT could I believe make up the difference much faster and cheaper by adding African distance runners than adding more sports. Depending on foreign athletes is something that NT has really not done in the past, and I am not sure a meaningless all sport competition is reason enough to change that stand. However, NT has recruited one good foreign athlete in cross country and recently went from the doormat in woman's tennis to a contender by heavily recruiting international players.

Foreign athletes in selected sports

M Track inclusive of cross country WKU 8 MTSU 7 UNT 2

W Track inclusive of cross country WKU 5 MTSU 7 UNT 2

M Golf WKU 3 MTSU 0 UNT 1

W Golf WKU 0 MTSU 2 UNT 0

M Tennis WKU 5 MTSU 6 UNT na

W Tennis WKU 4 MTSU 5 UNT 5

W Soccer WKU 1 MTSU 6 UNT 0

Volleyball WKU 0 MTSU 1 UNT 1

M Swimming Diving WKU 6 MTSU na UNT na

W Swimming Diving WKU 4 MTSU na UNT 0

Totals WKU 36 MTSU 34 UNT 11

A lot of crowing on Belt board from MUTS about this all sports trophy. Understandable, but I am not sure it means much especially if you look at the details. All sports are not created equal and the ability and willingness to procure foreign athletes is such a large part of the competition in the Belt, it tends to diminish the value.

Do other conferences have such an award ?

Is there really a piece of hardware called the Bubas Trophy ?

And doens't Bubas sound a lot like Bubba and doesn't that sound a lot like rednecks and marrying cousins and missing teeth and sofas on front porches ?

GO MEAN GREEN y'all