Gmac Bowl Drops Cusa

SUMG

In today's DMNews...there's a small blurb about the GMAC Bowl (Mobile) dropping CUSA....and taking the 9th place ACC team, as an opponent for the MAC representative.

9th place ACC team? The ACC has been average (at best) lately ....how many years will they not be able to fill that spot?

Is the GMAC Bowl one of the ones where the SBC is the first alternate? (I know with the St. Petersburg's Bowl and the Papa John's Bowl, we are). If not, Wright Waters ought to be all over this....signing a deal to send a SBC rep if the ACC doesn't have enough bowl eligible teams.

last year was the only time they would have qualified based on standings from espn.com.

another case of the have's and have not's. damn shame they took away a guarantee for a smaller conference for a maybe from a bcs...damn money!

How many bowl eligible teams were left out this past year? 2? Aren't they adding another game next year? Doesn't that pretty much mean that the planets have to align a certain way, two butterflies in China would have to get their flapping wings entangled and Todd Dodge would have to go to an all I-formation offense for a 6-6 team to ever get left out of the post season again?

Sorry...a 6-6 team should never be in a bowl game. There are way too many bowl games and the financial condition of many of these so-called bowl games is beginning to reflect just that. I am wondering if the "economy" will have an effect this year on travel by teams and their fans to bowl games....not the big boys, but the second and third tier bowl games? Just wondering? I am old enough to remember when all the bowls that meant anything at all were played on New Yera's Day. Now even a New Year's Day bowl can seem sort of second-tier.

Hey, I like watching the bowl games...1st, 2nd, 3rd tier, I am just wondering what some "others" on here might think about the number and quality of bowl games these days.

NOW, if UNT were to get an invite to a bowl this season it would be a MAJOR BOWL no matter when or where in my opinion!

How many 9th place ACC fans will want to travel during the holidays to see their team face Western Michigan in rainy Mobile, Alabama?

Jeffrey....the GMAC Bowl is the wacky minor bowl....played after the holidays. The next one this is set for Wednesday January 6th, 2010. The game is usually a day or so before the national championship game.

Still.....it'd be neat to have a SBC tie-in.

Guest GrayEagleOne

While I agree that there are too many bowls, I'm not sure that the GMAC would be one to do away with.

Now, on the bright side. We could still get a slot in the GMAC Bowl. If the nonth place team isn't bowl eligible and there are no other bowl eligible except a Sun Belt team and we have fulfilled our obligation to the other two bowls if needed and Jupiter aligns with Mars then we could get that bid. In other words, they have no other conference tie-in.

In today's DMNews...there's a small blurb about the GMAC Bowl (Mobile) dropping CUSA....and taking the 9th place ACC team, as an opponent for the MAC representative.

9th place ACC team? The ACC has been average (at best) lately ....how many years will they not be able to fill that spot?

Is the GMAC Bowl one of the ones where the SBC is the first alternate? (I know with the St. Petersburg's Bowl and the Papa John's Bowl, we are). If not, Wright Waters ought to be all over this....signing a deal to send a SBC rep if the ACC doesn't have enough bowl eligible teams.

I'm so glad you dropped that skinny girl as your avatar and have this one.

I believe that's a photograph of Marlene Desmond. I knew her in college, very religious girl.

So you're saying she won't put out?

The Bowl organizers could care less what place a team finishes in their conference. They want teams who's fans travel well, will fill the stadium, local hotels, cafes, bars, etc... It is all about making money.

GMAC bowl deal mean adjustment for CUSA

New Orleans Times-Picayune article

http://blog.nola.com/tulanebeat/2009/05/gm...adjustment.html

Excerpt from another article on the CUSA board.

GMAC Bowl president Jerry Silverstein said Monday if fewer than nine ACC teams are bowl elgible, the Mobile Bowl can pick an available bowl elgible team from any other conference.

Edited by MeanGreen61

The Bowl organizers could care less what place a team finishes in their conference. They want teams who's fans travel well, will fill the stadium, local hotels, cafes, bars, etc... It is all about making money.

ACC 9th place last year would have been 7-6 Clemson or 7-6 Miami...

(Final 2008 Standings)

School ACC Pct. Overall Pct.

ATLANTIC DIVISION

Boston College 5-3 .625 9-5 .642

Florida State 5-3 .625 9-4 .692

Maryland 4-4 .500 8-5 .615

Wake Forest 4-4 .500 8-5 .615

Clemson 4-4 .500 7-6 .538

NC State 4-4 .500 6-7 .462

COASTAL DIVISION

Virginia Tech 5-3 .625 10-4 .714

Georgia Tech 5-3 .625 9-4 .692