WASHINGTON (AP) — Jack Kemp, the ex-quarterback, congressman, one-time vice-presidential nominee and self-described "bleeding-heart conservative" died Saturday.

His spokeswoman Bona Park and longtime friend and former campaign adviser Edwin J. Feulner confirmed that Kemp died after a lengthy illness.

Kemp had announced in January 2009 that he had been diagnosed with cancer. He said he was undergoing tests but gave no other detail.

Kemp, a former quarterback for the Buffalo Bills, represented western New York for nine terms in Congress, leaving the House for an unsuccessful presidential bid in 1988.

Eight years later, after serving a term as President George H.W. Bush's housing secretary, he made it onto the national ticket as Bob Dole's running-mate.

Specter say's GOP policy partially responsible for Jack Kemp's death

"If we had pursued what President Nixon declared in 1970 as the war on cancer, we would have cured many strains. I think Jack Kemp would be alive today," Specter said on CBS's "Face the Nation."

Regardless of what side of the aisle your on you have to be thinking this man is the epitome of slime and wonder just how low such a spineless wonder will go?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Guest JohnDenver

Specter say's GOP policy partially responsible for Jack Kemp's death

Regardless of what side of the aisle your on you have to be thinking this man is the epitome of slime and wonder just how low such a spineless wonder will go?

Rick

Serious question. I haven't watched the video, I am at work, BUT in the quote he doesn't name GOP.

I am of the opinion that if certain bans were lifted and more investment made, that my grandfather wouldn't be pooping his pants and senile. I can say that without naming a party... I think it is factual.

Possible that Specter is saying that?

Serious question. I haven't watched the video, I am at work, BUT in the quote he doesn't name GOP.

A slightly longer quotation (from the Washington Times):

"Well, I was sorry to disappoint many people. Frankly, I was disappointed that the Republican Party didn't want me as their candidate," Mr. Specter said on "Face the Nation." "But as a matter of principle, I'm becoming much more comfortable with the Democrats' approach. And one of the items that I'm working on, Bob, is funding for medical research."

Mr. Specter continued: "If we had pursued what President Nixon declared in 1970 as the war on cancer, we would have cured many strains. I think Jack Kemp would be alive today. And that research has saved or prolonged many lives, including mine."

JD, I guess that depends to whom "we" refers. I assume the antecedent to be "the Republican Party." The writer of the article obviously inferred the same.

Guest JohnDenver

A slightly longer quotation (from the Washington Times):

JD, I guess that depends to whom "we" refers. I assume the antecedent to be "the Republican Party." The writer of the article obviously inferred the same.

...and if he *is* or was a part of that "we", wouldn't he be taking blame, instead of casting blame?

The Washington Post and the New York Times are the main papers of Washington and NY. Aren't these two sort of on the National Enquirer level.

Note: About the Washington Times

The Times, a 100,000-circulation daily newspaper that competes with The Washington Post, is one of a host of business holdings owned by the Unification Church, which is famous for marrying its followers in mass wedding ceremonies.

This the owned by the "Moonies"... this is a terrible sourse to quote

The New York Post:

Since 1993, it has been owned by media mogul Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation......, the same owners as Fox network

He just never said or even implied what is claimed...... This is why I don't trust Fox at all....

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

The Washington Post and the New York Times are the main papers of Washington and NY. Aren't these two sort of on the National Enquirer level.

The Times, a 100,000-circulation daily newspaper that competes with The Washington Post, is one of a host of business holdings owned by the Unification Church, which is famous for marrying its followers in mass wedding ceremonies.

The New York Post:

Since 1993, it has been owned by media mogul Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation......, the same owners as Fox network

He just never said or even implied what is claimed...... This is why I don't trust Fox at all....

Moonies at the Washington Times, loonies at the NY Times--take your pick.

Nobody quoted these papers as authorities--I just obtained a verbatim quote of what Specter had said from this source.

WOW- It isn't often we see such religious bigotry displayed so freely. Why not just say it like this?

"This the owned by the "JEWS"... this is a terrible sourse to quote"

or

"This the owned by the "MUSLIMS"... this is a terrible sourse to quote"

or

"This the owned by the "CATHOLICS"... this is a terrible sourse to quote"

or

"This the owned by the "BAPTISTS"... this is a terrible sourse to quote"

No I don't care what you believe. But to disqualify someone because of the religion of their employer???? seems pretty bigoted to me.

WOW- It isn't often we see such religious bigotry displayed so freely. Why not just say it like this?

"This the owned by the "JEWS"... this is a terrible sourse to quote"

or

"This the owned by the "MUSLIMS"... this is a terrible sourse to quote"

or

"This the owned by the "CATHOLICS"... this is a terrible sourse to quote"

or

"This the owned by the "BAPTISTS"... this is a terrible sourse to quote"

No I don't care what you believe. But to disqualify someone because of the religion of their employer???? seems pretty bigoted to me.

---I suppose you approve of the group at EL Dorado as well... Maybe even Jim Jones (now deceased) I suggest you read a bit more about them and their practices. Most people consider them a powerful cult that have done some very unethical things. Many countries consider them a real problem. You are being ridiculous. From your statement you seem to support us having more American newspapers owned by Islamics and presenting "their point of view" daily. ...After all you don't want to be bigoted against them..... well ... I and most people don't support that..

---I don't think ANY church or religious group should be in the mainstream News business and actully not any other non religious business either. If they have a newspaper or some news service then it should be clearly stated who prints it. (so the reader's know what views are represented) . Example CBN and TBS have TV programs and newscasts but everyone knows who puts it out. No problem.... no hidden agenda.

...and if he *is* or was a part of that "we", wouldn't he be taking blame, instead of casting blame?

So you have confidence that a spineless individual like Arlen Sphincter that stands on zero principle of anything is capable of accepting responsibility?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Guest JohnDenver

So you have confidence that a spineless individual like Arlen Sphincter that stands on zero principle of anything is capable of accepting responsibility?

Rick

I didn't say that ;)

I really don't know anything about Arlen.

Just posing questions and saying how I tend to read things...

Rick

---I'll bet you thought Arlan was great when he switched to being GOP member**.... and the same of Phil Gramm too.. who then forced Texas to have a special election which cost Texas tax-payers millions to feed his ego. ... (that is conservative?) . Then I'll bet you thought they showed great courage to switch parties then .....

True or False???

* at that time it was dominated by free-thinking Goldwater, Nixon (forced from office), and that President of a Labor Union, Reagan. He had been President of the Screen Actors Guild..... twice,...a labor union in (horrors) very liberal Hollywood. The GOP has changed greatly. ...LOL

UPDATE: JACK KEMP STILL DEAD.

Film at 11.

Mistah Kemp-he dead. A penny for the Old Guy.

He might be dead, but apparently his corpse will allow this (unrelated) thread to live on and on and on and on and on. . .

Holy Zombie hijacking Batman!

---I'll bet you thought Arlan was great when he switched to being GOP member**.... and the same of Phil Gramm too.. who then forced Texas to have a special election which cost Texas tax-payers millions to feed his ego. ... (that is conservative?) . Then I'll bet you thought they showed great courage to switch parties then .....

True or False???

* at that time it was dominated by free-thinking Goldwater, Nixon (forced from office), and that President of a Labor Union, Reagan. He had been President of the Screen Actors Guild..... twice,...a labor union in (horrors) very liberal Hollywood. The GOP has changed greatly. ...LOL

False. I never cared for either one of them then and now.

Rick