Anybody Else As Excited As I Am?

calvin

After seeing WKU whip Illinois most of the game and then seeing them go toe to toe with Gonzaga, (and this might be Gonzaga's best team) it has me really fired up about next year and the potential of this group. I really thought we were even with WKU and had them on the ropes twice, I think the biggest edge they had on us was experience. And to add to the fact that we have all 5 starters coming back, I would be disappointed if we dont win 24 or 25 games next year.

By the end of the season DJ put up more than adequate numbers from the 1. I'm excited, but I need to see a schedule before i make any sort of 25 win season proclamations. I do think we should win the West tho. UALR lost alot of their talent base, and unless Brady really turns around ASU next season I'm not sure we should be challenged. And a Division title would probably mean avoiding WKU until the title game.

Edited by CMJ

By the end of the season DJ put up more than adequate numbers from the 1. I'm excited, but I need to see a schedule before i make any sort of 25 win season proclamations. I do think we should win the West tho. UALR lost alot of their talent base, and unless Brady really turns around ASU next season I'm not sure we should be challanged. And a Division title would probably mean avoiding WKU until the title game.

Den...ver.

This whole PG talk has got on my nerves. Somebody posted Dom's numbers compared to Hines and Bell's numbers who some people on here thought were great and Dom's numbers were better than both of them. Somehow we won 8 of our last 10 with no PG and out of the 8 we won, we had double digits leads in every one. The only two losses were by 4 against LR and the close loss to WKU. I thought we finally gelled at the end and next year barring injuries we dont need time to gel and we wont need time to set a lineup. How many different starting lineups did we have in the first 20 games this year? Next year we should be set. Like I said, WKU needed a buzzer beater to beat them or they might be playing tonight and I thought we were even them. I am optimistic about next year.

This whole PG talk has got on my nerves. Somebody posted Dom's numbers compared to Hines and Bell's numbers who some people on here thought were great and Dom's numbers were better than both of them. Somehow we won 8 of our last 10 with no PG and out of the 8 we won, we had double digits leads in every one. The only two losses were by 4 against LR and the close loss to WKU. I thought we finally gelled at the end and next year barring injuries we dont need time to gel and we wont need time to set a lineup. How many different starting lineups did we have in the first 20 games this year? Next year we should be set. Like I said, WKU needed a buzzer beater to beat them or they might be playing tonight and I thought we were even them. I am optimistic about next year.

I can only tell you what my eyes saw. Numbers are numbers. Dom is at best a combo guard who was not good at the end of close games last year. Throw in the fact that he and Josh are both under 6' and you've got a huge defensive disadvantage.

Next year's teams has the chance to be the best since the late 70's, but they need a true point (preferably over 6'2")

Edited by UNT90

So here is my question. If we do go out and get a "true" PG, will he come in and start? If so, who does he start for ? I think the last 10 games were more of an indication of what is to come then the first 20 were. I thought Dom did a good job in the last 10 and I thought besides the LR game we played great the last 10 games. And Dom was one of the main ones that kept us in the WKU game.

Denver will be tough next year and our league will be tough, but remember we gave Denver a pretty good whooping at their place to end the year.

When WKU was putting it on Illinois by 17 the other day I couldnt help but to get excited knowing that that could have been us. Then when they were leading Gonzaga most of the way, it got me even more excited. I really thought people would be as optimistic as I am, knowing that we have our entire starting lineup back next year. Guess I was wrong.

So here is my question. If we do go out and get a "true" PG, will he come in and start? If so, who does he start for ? I think the last 10 games were more of an indication of what is to come then the first 20 were. I thought Dom did a good job in the last 10 and I thought besides the LR game we played great the last 10 games. And Dom was one of the main ones that kept us in the WKU game.

Denver will be tough next year and our league will be tough, but remember we gave Denver a pretty good whooping at their place to end the year.

When WKU was putting it on Illinois by 17 the other day I couldnt help but to get excited knowing that that could have been us. Then when they were leading Gonzaga most of the way, it got me even more excited. I really thought people would be as optimistic as I am, knowing that we have our entire starting lineup back next year. Guess I was wrong.

This has nothing to do with not being excited about next year's team. We're returning a very good core of players, and should be able to compete with the elite of the conference as the roster stands now.

That doesn't mean that there isn't room for improvement...and that doesn't mean that some of us can't set loftier goals than just winning conference. In my opinion...and clearly the opinion of others, and perhaps the coaching staff as well considerring that there have been 3 confirmed offers, is that the addition of a point guard could really make this team great. Dom's floor game improved as the season progressed...but he is still best suited as a Jason Terry type...capable of running the point but more suited as a scorer off the ball.

Josh is a 2...and it would be my preference to limit or eliminate his time on the ball.

As to who would start? I believe if that we sign a 6'2" point guard he should start and you let Dom come in as a sixth man...capable at both the 1 and the 2...and probably playing the same number of minutes as last season.

Edited by Censored by Laurie

I share your enthusiasm Calvin. Don't let these grumpy old browbeating men get you down. We gave WKU all they could handle this season, and you can see that WKU beat up on teams outside of our conference and in the NCAA tourny, including Louisville, Illinois, and Georgia... and they nearly whooped a fantastic Gonzaga. This speaks volumes as to how far UNT, WKU, and the SBC have grown. UNT has some nice recruits and most of the starters returning so things look really, really bright for us next season...6'2" PG or not.

I share your enthusiasm Calvin. Don't let these grumpy old browbeating men get you down. We gave WKU all they could handle this season, and you can see that WKU beat up on teams outside of our conference and in the NCAA tourny, including Louisville, Illinois, and Georgia... and they nearly whooped a fantastic Gonzaga. This speaks volumes as to how far UNT, WKU, and the SBC have grown. UNT has some nice recruits and most of the starters returning so things look really, really bright for us next season...6'2" PG or not.

You're right...we did give WKU all they can handle...and hey, WKU is losing OMV, so thus we'll catch them now, right?

Oh...Western Kentucky recruits, too! And they return 4 of 5 starters, two key bench players and a talented Serbian forward who sat out this season as a transfer.

I think all of us who follow this basketball program are very excited about what we bring back next season...but that doens't mean that we can't be looking for areas to improve.

It's all about matchups come March. Would we have matched up as well against Illinois and Gonzaga as the Hilltoppers did? Maybe...maybe not. I think we could've - but it's hard to say. There really isn't that much difference between the say....#11 and #100 in the country. And honestly, the gap between the top 10 and #11-100 isn't usually THAT great either.

I mean, remember 3 years ago South Carolina...the NIT champion....beat Florida the NCAA Champ....TWICE.

As to who would start? I believe if that we sign a 6'2" point guard he should start and you let Dom come in as a sixth man...capable at both the 1 and the 2...and probably playing the same number of minutes as last season.

I agree, but I sure wish that point guard we sign would be a freshman who could grow up with Holmen instead of signing another 2 year man. Unfortunately, that freshman would have to be VERY special to come in and get significant playing time right off the bat. I guess we might have to just make out with Dom at the point again next year. He really did show improvement in the last quarter of the year, but it sure would be nice if we had some bigger guys out there defensively. Somebody please wave a magic wand and turn Josh into a one guard. That would solve all of our problems, because other than that nagging PG situation, I think we're set up to be a VERY good team next year.

The old point guard argument. Did you see the end of the WKU and Illinois game, NT's point guards never looked as bad as WKU did then? Never mind that both White and Johnson both were improved at the point at the end of the season. Lets dwell on Johnson's bad choices at the end of games in mid-season and the defensive liabilities that short guards must be. Don't focus on the plays that NT makes because of the quickness of Johnson and White. I guess NT being at the top of free shooting statistics is due to poor point play. Satistics be damned, turnovers down, more assists, etc. mean nothing. Don't consider that it is highly unlikely that NT can sign any pg that will earn minutes against White or Johnson next year.

Everyone has opinions, but I think NT is much more likely to be helped by recruiting another tall shooting guard or an offensive threat on the inside than a point. Obviously, if NT can get a blue chip at any position than they should do it. It seems to me that NT has bigger needs such as another outside shooter to replace Dennis and McCoy or an inside scorer. I think NT could have beat WKU with a healty Tramiel. His absence pointed out the need for another inside offensive presense.

I agree, I think WKU will be good but they do lose their leader. So will Denver, LR, and Troy. Troy pretty much has everyone coming back. But so will we if we are healthy. We got blew out one time this year, every other game we were either winning at the end or were right there at the end to win it. The ones we lost I thought were b/c this was a team that didnt know how to win yet b/c we had no consistency or chemistry but I think we found that at the end and next year we wont have that learning curve. So I will be very disappointed if we dont win those close games and I will be very disappointed if we dont win 24 or 25 games considering we won 20 this year and we have all 5 starters coming back. And we get WKU and USA at home. Dont forget USA got an at large bid last year with 26 wins.

Thanks for your support Chris.

The old point guard argument. Did you see the end of the WKU and Illinois game, NT's point guards never looked as bad as WKU did then? Never mind that both White and Johnson both were improved at the point at the end of the season. Lets dwell on Johnson's bad choices at the end of games in mid-season and the defensive liabilities that short guards must be. Don't focus on the plays that NT makes because of the quickness of Johnson and White. I guess NT being at the top of free shooting statistics is due to poor point play. Satistics be damned, turnovers down, more assists, etc. mean nothing. Don't consider that it is highly unlikely that NT can sign any pg that will earn minutes against White or Johnson next year.

Everyone has opinions, but I think NT is much more likely to be helped by recruiting another tall shooting guard or an offensive threat on the inside than a point. Obviously, if NT can get a blue chip at any position than they should do it. It seems to me that NT has bigger needs such as another outside shooter to replace Dennis and McCoy or an inside scorer. I think NT could have beat WKU with a healty Tramiel. His absence pointed out the need for another inside offensive presense.

Everyone would love a 6'11" post player that scores on the block. I'd take him any day over a point guard. Problem is they just aren't out there. A TALL shooting guard would be nice. That would help with defensive matchups (It seems many on here forget that there is a defensive aspect to the game of basketball). But a TALL point guard would solve both problems. Dom as your 6 with no more than 5 minutes a game at point. Josh as a small shooting guard who can handle 5 minutes a game at point.

I've seen Dom play. He ain't no point.

And we lost to WKU on a last second shot in conference play, not the conference tournament. BIG difference.

Everyone would love a 6'11" post player that scores on the block. I'd take him any day over a point guard. Problem is they just aren't out there. A TALL shooting guard would be nice. That would help with defensive matchups (It seems many on here forget that there is a defensive aspect to the game of basketball). But a TALL point guard would solve both problems. Dom as your 6 with no more than 5 minutes a game at point. Josh as a small shooting guard who can handle 5 minutes a game at point.

I've seen Dom play. He ain't no point.

And we lost to WKU on a last second shot in conference play, not the conference tournament. BIG difference.

Dom is definitely a point. You know how I know, he plays the position for a pretty good team. Did I mention a 6'11 post, don't think so? I have no idea why you think I was not referring to the conference tournament game with WKU. NT lost to WKU by 7 with Tramiel playing about 7 ineffective minutes. Yes, I think a healthy Tramiel could have changed the outcome of that game.

IMO, NT is just about as likely to find the point guard who is a big step up from the current players as that 6'11 post you conjured up. Obviously, we are not going to agree on the point guard situation; but it is nice to have a group of fans posting on NT basketball.

Fine...how about we all just agree that if we sign this guy that our backcourt will be set...3 combo guards manning the 1 and 2 spots and 3 (assuming Mangrum is healthy) 6'4" or better wings at the 2-3.

I'd love a pass first guy, but after seeing Nova's Scottie Reynolds and Corey Fisher slap Coach K's whities around like an alternate universe Charleston, SC circa 1843...I wouldn't mind having a poor man's version of that running the show for UNT.

Ricks' stats from Johnson County CC - 31GP, 17.3ppg, 5.3rpg, 5.9apg, 2.3spg (72 steals), 50.1% FG, 69.4% FT, 31% 3PT FG.