Unt Students Vs. Lamar Students

UNTflyer

Lamar students taxed themselves (as did Texas State students), UNT students taxed a future generation.

I realize state funds can't be used for athletics unless maybe you are a land grant school like the giants of Texas-- UT & T$M. However as a grad of UNT I pay state taxes by the bushel that go to support other programs at UNT. Other than sales tax these "poor" students pay no such tax, become do nothing for their alma mater alums, and feed like parasites getting the education and giving nothing back to the place that made them able to make an above average living. Call it a tax if you want to, but I call it progress to get a better caliber of student more representative of other state universities. I'm sick and tired of being that "little ole music school up in deadbeat Denton." The apathy and non-support have to stop here. These students voted for something that won't happen to them and will never happen if no "field of dreams" materializes--in other referendums the $$ to athletics began flowing the next semester. Look at UTSA--they are going D-1 NOW and talking to Larry Coker about leading the FB program!! Of course you need community support as well ---someday maybe even "DEADBEAT" Denton will as Obama would say "get it"

I realize state funds can't be used for athletics unless maybe you are a land grant school like the giants of Texas-- UT & T$M. However as a grad of UNT I pay state taxes by the bushel that go to support other programs at UNT. Other than sales tax these "poor" students pay no such tax, become do nothing for their alma mater alums, and feed like parasites getting the education and giving nothing back to the place that made them able to make an above average living. Call it a tax if you want to, but I call it progress to get a better caliber of student more representative of other state universities. I'm sick and tired of being that "little ole music school up in deadbeat Denton." The apathy and non-support have to stop here. These students voted for something that won't happen to them and will never happen if no "field of dreams" materializes--in other referendums the $$ to athletics began flowing the next semester. Look at UTSA--they are going D-1 NOW and talking to Larry Coker about leading the FB program!! Of course you need community support as well ---someday maybe even "DEADBEAT" Denton will as Obama would say "get it"

Wow, you sound like these students didn't pay tuition at all, and for those that are still in the state, you act like they're skipping on taxes too. Don't get me wrong, more students should pitch in to some activity on campus and get into something that supports the university...but you're painting with a wide brush here.

Fast forward a bit, Lamar has accomplished everything they set out to do in that article, including the big bucks to renovate the stadium and build a new athletic center. UNT, we still sit around worrying about some group that wants to hold the athletic program back even further. I just can't imagine a petition/referendum to overturn a vote that was already democratically decided upon. UNT leadership better knip this in the bud. If the vote is overturned, it's the leaderships fault, and you will see contributing Alumni giving up for the last time.

Fast forward a bit, Lamar has accomplished everything they set out to do in that article, including the big bucks to renovate the stadium and build a new athletic center. UNT, we still sit around worrying about some group that wants to hold the athletic program back even further. I just can't imagine a petition/referendum to overturn a vote that was already democratically decided upon. UNT leadership better knip this in the bud. If the vote is overturned, it's the leaderships fault, and you will see contributing Alumni giving up for the last time.

many almni have already given up waiting. the slogan 'give because we might' does not sell well.