Marketing Machine

NM Green

In an earlier thread we talked about schedule covers...After thinking about the possiblities we:

A. Really need Riley to blow the competition away, early.

B. We need to fire up the Dodge Duo on as many pieces of collateral we can afford. It's a intriguing message and will at least get people curious about how the tandem is performing come this fall.

C. Set up satellite season ticket office near the campus of Southlake or in their downtown square - never been there but heard about it.

D. Get inside Southlake somehow someway and get that flood of beamers driving up 35 on Saturday the 12th and beyond.

Sports is about entertainment, intrigue, and if you can win - fantastic! Seriously who does the mass public care about more - the tragic Dallas Cowboys and their house of laughter or the Sixburg? Sixburg won and has an amazing team and story, yet I still hear people talk just as much about the Cowboys who played their last meaningful game when I was putting the final fixings on my Thanksgiving meal (out here in Vegas!).

Maximize this 2nd round of Dodgedom to our advantage - can the Southlake band launch a band day tradition for our second home game of the year?

Marketing gurus unleash whether you are in school, newly graduated, a marketing friend of the program...Talk about a recipe for success - intrigue, pressure, family, an apathetic fanbase turned possessed and ready to WIN again! This is getting juicy!

GMG

Leaving the Las Vegas airport last week...I noticed that UNLV are already promoting their spring game, home opener, and season tickets on their big jumbotron-esque electronic billboard outside The Thomas & Mack Center. Quite honestly, it pissed me off that I already know more about UNLV's spring game than I do about NT's.

In an earlier thread we talked about schedule covers...After thinking about the possiblities we:

B. We need to fire up the Dodge Duo on as many pieces of collateral we can afford. It's a intriguing message and will at least get people curious about how the tandem is performing come this fall.

C. Set up satellite season ticket office near the campus of Southlake or in their downtown square - never been there but heard about it.

D. Get inside Southlake somehow someway and get that flood of beamers driving up 35 on Saturday the 12th and beyond.

Sports is about entertainment, intrigue, and if you can win - fantastic! Seriously who does the mass public care about more - the tragic Dallas Cowboys and their house of laughter or the Sixburg? Sixburg won and has an amazing team and story, yet I still hear people talk just as much about the Cowboys who played their last meaningful game when I was putting the final fixings on my Thanksgiving meal (out here in Vegas!).

Maximize this 2nd round of Dodgedom to our advantage - can the Southlake band launch a band day tradition for our second home game of the year?

Marketing gurus unleash whether you are in school, newly graduated, a marketing friend of the program...Talk about a recipe for success - intrigue, pressure, family, an apathetic fanbase turned possessed and ready to WIN again! This is getting juicy!

GMG

One message, same theme. JUST WIN!

Edited by DeepGreen

GMG

wow, please put down the dodge koolaid, you are over served

GMG

3-21. chill out.

Leaving the Las Vegas airport last week...I noticed that UNLV are already promoting their spring game, home opener, and season tickets on their big jumbotron-esque electronic billboard outside The Thomas & Mack Center. Quite honestly, it pissed me off that I already know more about UNLV's spring game than I do about NT's.

OSU has been advertising their spring game since the day after the Fiesta Bowl. And for the second year in a row, they're bundling a men's lacrosse game, vs. Notre Dame with the spring football game. Non-revenue sport gets some face time, the lax players get to play in the stadium and fans get to enjoy two games for the price of one.

Jaydub,

You had better look me up one of those jaunts into Vegas. A round of beverages at the GRAND before your departure looks like a plan to me:)

I was at the UNLV game on Tuesday and flying in on the jumbotron were all of the Rebel home games - Oregon State, BYU, Hawaii, to name a few. Triggered excitement in me just thinking about f-ball. However, I would love to start planning some trips back for the fall and can't get our confirmed home schedule. Call it selfish, but it would also be cool to know who we are playing on those precious select weekends.

To the poster "JUST WIN." Wish it were that easy but at least we can control Marketing, we can't control winning. Get the butts on 35, in the tailgate lot and hopefully in the stands. Effective marketing can get the first two and with creativity get the third one accomplished too. It's not sports it's entertainment.

If we start thinking that way we can all get involved with Fall 2009. Let the football guys take care of the game - we take care of the people.

GMG

1. Step one - buy a copy of a John Spoelstra book (Ice to Eskimos or Marketing Outrageously.) His claim to them is marketing a very crappy Nets team.

2. Step two - outline the main points he makes (sell the experience, other opponents, etc.)

3. Step three - realize the team was improving as this all happened

4. Step four - hit yourself in the crotch with a mallet.

GMG

I like your spunk and attitude. Lets get this mean green machine rolling. GMG

I ask people around Denton about their interest in UNT football games and they know more about local high school teams than the Div 1 school in their own backyard.

I ask people around Denton about their interest in UNT football games and they know more about local high school teams than the Div 1 school in their own backyard.

You know Playmaker, I have often wondered why we do not have a pep rally/giant tailgate one evening on the Denton square during the week leading up to our first home game. Have the band cheerleaders, Scrappy, Boomer (though shooting it up there would not go over, but still), pass out some hot dogs and have cokes available. Dodge could introduce the team, band plays, have model of the stadium etc. Heck, Hansen might come up and interview the coach on the 6:30 news. They had a parade in Athens, GA this past season the week before the opening game because the 'dogs were ranked #1. Just a thought.

1. Step one - buy a copy of a John Spoelstra book (Ice to Eskimos or Marketing Outrageously.) His claim to them is marketing a very crappy Nets team.

2. Step two - outline the main points he makes (sell the experience, other opponents, etc.)

3. Step three - realize the team was improving as this all happened

4. Step four - hit yourself in the crotch with a mallet.

5. Step five - profit.

6. Step six - increase profit by cutting costs related to number/numeral redundancy in steps list.

You know Playmaker, I have often wondered why we do not have a pep rally/giant tailgate one evening on the Denton square during the week leading up to our first home game. Have the band cheerleaders, Scrappy, Boomer (though shooting it up there would not go over, but still), pass out some hot dogs and have cokes available. Dodge could introduce the team, band plays, have model of the stadium etc. Heck, Hansen might come up and interview the coach on the 6:30 news. They had a parade in Athens, GA this past season the week before the opening game because the 'dogs were ranked #1. Just a thought.

Will there be fireworks? Denton loves fireworks!

GMG

You are HIRED! :)

Why would we shoot fireworks when we don't know if we've lost yet?

What a silly question.

Just getting the masses ready for dissapointment.

Yep, UNT could do itself a big favor by doing a bit of marketing NOW! It amazes me how little UNT does around the community to try to "ramp it up". I know that it can be like "hitting yourself in the head with a hammer", and pretty soon you just want to give up. But, you can't! You just keep going. It doesn't cost much to do a pep rally on the square, to post info about the spring game on the UNT stadium message board, to tie a softball, lacrosse, etc., etc. game into the spring game, to put together a great student event the day of the spring game, to invite all youth players to the game "free" if they wear their football jerseys, to advertise the spring game at home basketball games...all of this, of course, with the materials available to buy season tickets.

Folks, just ask Jim Hobdy about his time trying to get UNT Athletics to actually move into the 20th century (he was there during the 20th century) with their marketing and promotions. It can be a daunting task. Just look what happens on this board when they do try something? They get "beat up" because they didn't do it like "some folks" here think they should. Instead of congratulating them on the effort and "want to", they get "beat up". How many times do you have to do that before you just say, enough? No, it is not the fault of folks on this board, it belongs in the athletic dept., but it is interesting to me just how many people want to always complain (and for ever and always mention 3-21). You know, you can decide to be part of the sloution or you can continue to "live in the past", complain and wonder why things never "come up to your standards". Ask yourself, when was the last time I complimented someone in the athletic dept. for trying to make things better, when is the last time you "invited" someone to go to a game with you, when is the last time you put a group of students together to go to a game, when is the last time you set up a faculty/staff "event" at a game, when is the last time you asked your business to buy season tickets for client/staff use???? The lsit goes on and on...you can be part of the solution or you can stand back, complain, leave it to everyone else and just continue to be unhappy. By the way, I did see a nice sized group of faculty (retired faculty group) at a recent UNT basketball game. That wasgreat as I knew some of the retired faculty in attendance and got to say "hello". Way cool. UNT needs more of this.

By the way, are you a member of the UNT Alumni Association? No, you do not have to be a graduate to join the Alumni Association. That's one way to help too. If you have not checked out what's happening with that group you are "way behind the times". I haer they are looking to improve on the effort they made last year at the football games to make it an evn nice Alumni activity during tailgating. Also, have you met and spent any time at all with our new Mean Green Club director? If not, you are missing out...you should meet John (yes, take it upon yourself to do so if you need to do so), he is a great guy and is working hard to see that the Mean green Club also moves forward and becomes bigger and better.

Lot's going on...you might want to really take a look.

GO MEAN GREEN.

By the way, are you a member of the UNT Alumni Association? No, you do not have to be a graduate to join the Alumni Association. That's one way to help too. If you have not checked out what's happening with that group you are "way behind the times". I haer they are looking to improve on the effort they made last year at the football games to make it an evn nice Alumni activity during tailgating. Also, have you met and spent any time at all with our new Mean Green Club director? If not, you are missing out...you should meet John (yes, take it upon yourself to do so if you need to do so), he is a great guy and is working hard to see that the Mean green Club also moves forward and becomes bigger and better.

Lot's going on...you might want to really take a look.

GO MEAN GREEN.

It looked like a nice event the alumni association was putting on last year at the games. However, when I look forward as to where I want to send those Benjamin's when I'm once again gainfully earning and contributing to this economy that is the United States of America, I think I'd prefer to join the Mean Green Club.

Why not join both? I did. The Alumni Association is all of $25/year. A Lifetime membership is around $500 or so...maybe $525, not 100% sure, but it is a great deal...if you plan on living a few years. My wife and I are Life Members, and the cost was less than we would have paid year to year...we do plan on "outliving" the cost! Ha!

Being a member of either does not keep one from joing both. Think about it. The Alumni Association provides a good bit of scholarship money for UNT students also. Glad you likie what they were trying to get going last season before the games...look for it to be a bit different, and even better, this next season. Hope to see you there!

GO MEAN GREEN!

KRAM,

Awesome post! If every person on this board did on thing to market the Mean Green this fall every day, think about how awesome it would be to see all of these arms in operation. The Athletic department has this in their job description, but we can choose to have it in our hearts. We are not perfect and don't have a solid winning tradition to hang our hat on. We don't have a run to the BCS to promote. We don't have some things, but we do have a lot of things and you know why you are Mean Green. So promote with pride - begin making plans for the Spring game - check air fares for a trip home - phone and friend and begin planning that reunion tailgate. Every single person can choose to play a role in the development of this program. Life is short - have some fun!

GMG

P.S. - anybody else's mouth watering at the thought of Dreamland BBQ before the Bama game? That place is legendary and I can't wait to experience it!