A Couple Of Recruiting Notes

Brett Vito

So it's looking like we signed no juco defensive linemen who will transfer at mid-term. Right?

And Charles had already played two years at Ft. Scott, and didn't even play this fall as I recall. And he still can't get finished with classes?

So it's looking like we signed no juco defensive linemen who will transfer at mid-term. Right?

And Charles had already played two years at Ft. Scott, and didn't even play this fall as I recall. And he still can't get finished with classes?

And we do not have the academic support staff like we should in place to see that he stays eligible, I mean somebody to stay after him. If we did, the would not continue to have the academic problems we seem to have. Why do we waste a spot?

Wonder if he'll qualify at all.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong:

But as I stated above...I believe that Charles had finished his eligibility at Ft. Scott and didn't play this fall. I'm guessing that would mean he also didn't practice. And he probably had to work out on his own.

So he stays at Ft. Scott this spring.......once again not practicing.....once again having to motivate himself to work out.

We get him next summer....very, very, very rusty. As a matter of fact, even though a juco---he'd be a prime redshirt candidate---considering his situation.

If all I posted is correct.....I can't see wasting a scholarship on this guy.

And we do not have the academic support staff like we should in place to see that he stays eligible, I mean somebody to stay after him. If we did, the would not continue to have the academic problems we seem to have. Why do we waste a spot?

I know we had APR issues going in to this year, but have we had further academic issues?

Also, glad to see us sign a big lineman. I will be interested to see which line he plays on.

Edited by UNTLifer

I know we had APR issues going in to this year, but have we had further academic issues?

Also, glad to see us sign a big lineman. I will be interested to see which line he plays on.

Lifer, I guess I would lump the discipline problems with academic issues. A Div. 1 coach cannot run practice, game plan, recruit, spring practice, camp, fall training, off season and properly counsel the guys on off field issues, somebody to help with the transition from high school to college (all the temptations, I think this might have prevented a Rucker problem), just teaching living skills a lot of these guys might lack. That is a long way to answer the question, i guess we have not had "further academic issues" as you are defining them.

But HELL YES, I am excited to see us sign a big guy.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong:

But as I stated above...I believe that Charles had finished his eligibility at Ft. Scott and didn't play this fall. I'm guessing that would mean he also didn't practice. And he probably had to work out on his own.

So he stays at Ft. Scott this spring.......once again not practicing.....once again having to motivate himself to work out.

We get him next summer....very, very, very rusty. As a matter of fact, even though a juco---he'd be a prime redshirt candidate---considering his situation.

If all I posted is correct.....I can't see wasting a scholarship on this guy.

Agreed. This guy sounds like a mistake waiting to happen. Dodge should move on to some other needed position.

Agreed. This guy sounds like a mistake waiting to happen. Dodge should move on to some other needed position.

I can't think of any positions that we don't need to upgrade. The guy is still working toward his degree, and still wants to play football. I like a player that doesn't quit. I've heard nothing of him getting into trouble, and I can't say anything about his personal work ethic, so I'll wait until he's on campus and working with our team, before I form my opinion of the man. 'Til then I wish him the best of luck. Although I do agree, should he never arrive at UNT, it will be regretful.

Please let me know when we upgrade our targets to compete with the LaTechs and FIUs of the world.

*Correction

We seem to compete with everybody (and sometimes no one), but Dodge doesn't seem to have much luck stealing the higher rated ones.

Agreed. Pardon me for not getting excited over signing a lineman with no other offers. That said, I hope he is able to contribute.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Good grief! We have a multitude of things that we can be hypercritical of but recruiting hasn't been one of them. The Dodge staff has competed very well for a team that has eight wins in the past four years.

I did a little digging. When Jeremy Bean came out of high school ESPN ranked him as the 65th best defensive tackle in the country. He did not entertain any offers from colleges because he (apparently) knew that he would have to go to a junior college. I assume that he played both ways in high school because both offense and defense were included in his evaluation. For whatever reason, NEO elected to put him at offensive tackle. Is that his best position? Along with the rest of us...I don't know. One thing that we do know is that he has/had quickness. He was second team All-Conference as an offensive tackle so that should give him some credibility.

Tony Charles is a gamble; no doubt about that. If it pays off, we've got a top-notch linebacker. If it doesn't then we'll know immediately and can begin the process of replacing him. Yes, he'll be rusty but if he has aspirations of playing major college football then he's probably kept himself in some sort of shape. The memory of Nate Jenkins is too fresh on your minds and you think that everyone that has had to pay attention to hours and/or grade points let's themselves go. Again, we don't know. Based on his potential, I think that he's worth the risk.

Yes, I do think that Dodge and his staff realize the need for D linemen. Can you point out those defensive linemen who are uncommited and don't have admission problems? The only DT that's highly rated and wants to come here is Sean Warren. I assume that he has some baggage that we don't know about because he hasn't accepted at another offering school (UAB) either. There are a couple of halfway decent DL that have some interest in North Texas but since they have been offered by schools in higher profile conferences it's hard to know how genuine that interest is. Right now, our best hope for a good DL is someone falling to us on signing day. Don't take that to the bank.

Edited by GrayEagleOne

Good grief! We have a multitude of things that we can be hypercritical of but recruiting hasn't been one of them. The Dodge staff has competed very well for a team that has eight wins in the past four years.

I did a little digging. When Jeremy Bean came out of high school ESPN ranked him as the 65th best defensive tackle in the country. He did not entertain any offers from colleges because he (apparently) knew that he would have to go to a junior college. I assume that he played both ways in high school because both offense and defense were included in his evaluation. For whatever reason, NEO elected to put him at offensive tackle. Is that his best position? Along with the rest of us...I don't know. One thing that we do know is that he has/had quickness. He was second team All-Conference as an offensive tackle so that should give him some credibility.

Tony Charles is a gamble; no doubt about that. If it pays off, we've got a top-notch linebacker. If it doesn't then we'll know immediately and can begin the process of replacing him. Yes, he'll be rusty but if he has aspirations of playing major college football then he's probably kept himself in some sort of shape. The memory of Nate Jenkins is too fresh on your minds and you think that everyone that has had to pay attention to hours and/or grade points let's themselves go. Again, we don't know. Based on his potential, I think that he's worth the risk.

Yes, I do think that Dodge and his staff realize the need for D linemen. Can you point out those defensive linemen who are uncommited and don't have admission problems? The only DT that's highly rated and wants to come here is Sean Warren. I assume that he has some baggage that we don't know about because he hasn't accepted at another offering school (UAB) either. There are a couple of halfway decent DL that have some interest in North Texas but since they have been offered by schools in higher profile conferences it's hard to know how genuine that interest is. Right now, our best hope for a good DL is someone falling to us on signing day. Don't take that to the bank.

I hope we all can see the problem with this statement.

I kind of wonder if former SLC WR Blake Cantu is headed to UNT to play for his former head coach.

Cantu is no where to be found on the Oregon Roster.

Blake is grayshirting this year afer suffering a tear in his shoulder during 7 on 7 drills during the summer, but yes I agree we do need more WRs!!!

Sign defense and more defense and throw in a replacement for the TRU "man"

I kind of wonder if former SLC WR Blake Cantu is headed to UNT to play for his former head coach.

Cantu is no where to be found on the Oregon Roster.

Blog Note about Cantu from Eugene, Ore.

http://blogs.registerguard.com/cms/index.p...weight-lifting/

Edited by GreenBat

Mean Green Blog

There are some things I have come to accept in life that make zero sense. There will always be schools in the Sun Belt with cheerleaders that are pushing what we in the sports office at the DRC like to call a "duce to a duce and a half", coaches who swear by the spread offense will always use running plays out of the shotgun on fourth-and-inches, causing their fans to swear, period, and the UNT men's basketball team will never beat UT-Arlington.