Fau To Motor City Bowl!

UNTflyer

So what let LA Tech bash the Sunbelt however much they want. Its the Sunbelt, no one cares. It is a horrible conference to be in. And last time I checked they were in a bowl game and winning games.

Read the post below yours (above mine). They may be doing better, but they are not nearly so big that they can be pulling the junk they have without repercussions. They are screwing themselves over.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

The Cajuns have already taken steps to discontinue all athletic competition with Tech. Any scheduled game that doesnt have a signed conract has officially been cancelled. Tech will come to Lafayette for baseball, but we will not return the game. UL will honor the contract to play in softball in 2009.

I-bowl basically signed its death warrant yesterday. Louisiana floats a 400K loan to keep that game afloat. The guy in charge of doling out that money is a UL graduate. He wont be as eager to bail the I-bowl out in 2009.

All the best,

K

++ LaLa (on both accounts)

Edited by Chrisattsu

The Cajuns have already taken steps to discontinue all athletic competition with Tech. Any scheduled game that doesnt have a signed conract has officially been cancelled. Tech will come to Lafayette for baseball, but we will not return the game. UL will honor the contract to play in softball in 2009.

I-bowl basically signed its death warrant yesterday. Louisiana floats a 400K loan to keep that game afloat. The guy in charge of doling out that money is a UL graduate. He wont be as eager to bail the I-bowl out in 2009.

All the best,

K

Wow, so the I-bowl had the choice of taking State of Louisiana money and dividing it between two Louisiana school and is instead giving it to a to an out of state team that will not send fans to Shreveport and will not fill the hotels or restaurants of Shreveport? Everyone who is not a La Tech alum and votes in Louisiana should be on the phone daily to the funding is cut off!

Actually, the I-Bowl would have loved the battle of Louisiana. The bowl is in terrible shape financially, their sponsor still owes them well over $1.4 million bucks and they have no sponsor for this year. The game lost $400K last year and the state had to bail them out. Those "visitor's dollars" are not going to come from a 6-6 Northern Illinois... they will really be lucky to bring 500 people, tops. If the game had been played against La Tech and UL - it would have probably had 40K people attend. I am going to guess that they get 20K tops. It is ranked dead last in all of the bowl rankings and is a complete joke. Why in the world would La Tech be so freaking scared of a 6-6 UL-Lafayette team? Because they recruit against them and because La Tech still thinks that they are "elite" in some way. The I-Bowl could have stood up to La Tech but then they would have had a 6-6 ULL team against a 6-6 Northern Illinois team.

Even still, you cannot blame anyone except for UL-Lafayette. All they needed were 7 wins and they came up one short. 7 wins and the I-Bowl doesn't have a choice.

I read something on another board ripping Waters for the contingency agreements. The agreements are very simple - last year, an 8 win Troy sat at home during bowl season. We wanted to make sure that if we had any bowl eligible teams (7 wins or more) that they would have a place to play. Only one team hit 7 wins - Troy, and they get the NO Bid. Waters probably could have forced the hand at one of these bowls but it would have hurt the agreements for the future. Waters also could have probably worked something out to send UL-Lafayette to New Orleans and move Troy to the Indy Bowl but then we piss of the NO Bowl and CUSA and we screw ourselves for the future. When it comes down to it - take a look at UL's, ASU's, and FAU's schedules - the bowl season isn't about how you start, it is about how you end - and FAU ended the season strong with some very solid wins. They have an OOC win against a CUSA school and they played the big boys close in a couple of games. Schnelly, whether we like it or not, is a draw for that game and will take this game seriously. I bet that he wins it. I bet that there is nobody there to see it... but I bet that he wins it.

The wire report I read in my paper (The Austin American-Statesman) wrote that of the teams available for a bowl (I think 5 or so?), two were from the Sunbelt. Of course LaLa and Ark. State...However, they also printed that Troy was the ONLY team to get a bowl game from the Sunbelt. Funny how the missed FAU? No respect at all. AND, I bet no one around here even noticed.

The wire report I read in my paper (The Austin American-Statesman) wrote that of the teams available for a bowl (I think 5 or so?), two were from the Sunbelt. Of course LaLa and Ark. State...However, they also printed that Troy was the ONLY team to get a bowl game from the Sunbelt. Funny how the missed FAU? No respect at all. AND, I bet no one around here even noticed.

You did. Send them a note pointing out the mistake. Don't be mean and the reporter will probably be happy someone paid careful attention to what they wrote.