D-line In 09

NT03

The game is WON and lost on the line so let's take a look at how we will stack up for the next year :

DEs : Eddrick Gilmore, Kyle Russo, Mack Cole III, Sam Owusu-Hemeng & Tyler Kubala ( 6'0 240pd walk on)

DTs : Charlie Brown (?) , Tevin Canty , Jesse DeSoto, Joe Hawthorne, Joseph Miller*, Troy Frankilin, Draylen Ross , Jordan Scoggins & Jonathan Stewart

We are ultra thin at DE. Gilmore will for sure start , but the rest of the bunch is unproven and a bit undersized. Could Franklin move to DE ? We have some size on the line but not much experience.

We need to recruit a starting DE and the only way I see that happening is thru the JUCO route.

How do you see the starting line playing out for next year ?

I like Gilmore,Ross,Franklin & Russo

Edited by NT03

If Dodge can land 1 JUCO guy that can contribute at either DE or DT I think we'll be strong. Not deep but strong. Make that 2 solid JUCO guys and I'm thrilled. Freaking Horton.......

I am a firm believer that if that guy, Horton, had been able to stay here then this season could hav ebeen different. Not 5 more wins different but a lot better on the defense when we could get a ittle pressure and a litle push up front. That guy was supposed to be really good! He was IMHO the best guy that we got in recruiting last year and for him to not even make it here this year... just sucks

If I was our coaches, I'd have an academic counselor attached to Eddrick Gilmore.....like he was EG's Siamese twin. We can't afford him not being eligible again.

Also, I think with some spring ball and some time in the weight room....we might see a different Mack Cole next season. I think he got here way too late (mid summer signee) to contribute much this year. In hindsight, I wish we had redshirted him.

Kyle Russo really came on at the end of the season. Also, Draylen Ross had a nice game yesterday (1 sack, 2 solos, 6 assists). Desoto also had some good moments this year.

Also, I think Joe Hawthorne and Tevinn Cantley have tons of potential.

Edited by SUMG

I'll second SUMG on Tevinn Cantly, and radiogreen on Jordan Scoggins. I was disappoinated about Scoggins not stepping up this year, but when I mentioned to Lineweaver (EulessTrinity head coach) that Scoggins was seeing some playing time, he did mention the transition from playing offense (Scoggins was a TE) to defense. Maybe there's enough difference that it was a factor. Anyway, he's got 3 more years, so let's hope he realizes that potential. The manager in our office, who has a son who played with Cantly at Lamar, is well convinced that Cantly is a stud. He looks like one on the sidelines; let's hope he looks like one in the trenches.

I am a firm believer that if that guy, Horton, had been able to stay here then this season could hav ebeen different. Not 5 more wins different but a lot better on the defense when we could get a ittle pressure and a litle push up front. That guy was supposed to be really good! He was IMHO the best guy that we got in recruiting last year and for him to not even make it here this year... just sucks

A look at Horton's season for 8-3 DII Tarelton St. 36 tackles (including assists), 4 sacks, 5 tackles for a loss (does not include sacks). One interception returned for 42 yards. Led the team with 7 tackles in one game. Usually in the middle of the defensive stats in all other games. Thats an average of roughly 3.3 tackles a game and only 4 sacks on the season. He may have been a serviceable player here, but I doubt much more.

Edited by UNT90